Why dosen't Orby Satellite have it's own forum?

Discussion in 'General Satellite Discussion' started by RBA, Oct 30, 2019.

1. RBA

RBA Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    This low cost provider seems to have a niche market that has growth potential.

2. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    We have a thread to discuss Orby. So far there is not enough interest to justify a forum.

3. Nov 2, 2019 #3 of 13
    RBA

RBA Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    Which came first the chicken or the egg? If the thread is hidden as one post in a satellite forum dealing with general satellite discussion how easy is it to find?

Look at the DISH and Directv forums how many threads are still listed that cover receivers that can no longer be activated and shouldn't be offered on Ebay?

4. Nov 2, 2019 #4 of 13
    ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    That is hilarious. This forum (and it's other forum, the CE site) LOVE to create new, pointless forums for absolutely no reason, clogging up the layout and organization. And now they say they can't due to lack of interest. That's got to be a first.

5. Nov 2, 2019 #5 of 13
    Eva

Eva Active Member

Nov 8, 2013
    Maybe when Orby gets more popular it might get it's own section here. Another forum that has an Orby area I noticed it looked deserted.

6. Nov 2, 2019 #6 of 13
    James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Your second line seems to be arguing against the first. To be fair, at the time the receiver forums were created the receivers were not obsolete and were part of satellite services serving 10 to 20 million people each.

Who "they"? I have given my opinion, not the opinion of "they". "They" have not said one word on this issue. Complaints about "the CE site" should be directed on their site, they are completely separate from DBSTalk. I'm not sure which DBSTalk forum creation you're complaining about. The last forum creations I recall were adding areas for non-satellite TV discussion.

DBSTalk does not have separate forums for every brand of streaming provider - most have more subscribers than Orby is believed to have. My personal opinion is "don't create pointless forums". No insult intended to any service that doesn't have a forum.

7. Nov 3, 2019 #7 of 13
    Eva

Eva Active Member

Nov 8, 2013
    Which is a good thing as you would have 284 sub-forums for all those providers! :D

8. Nov 3, 2019 #8 of 13
    slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    What a dumb thread. If someone has something Orby related to post, they can create a thread here. If enough separate Orby related threads are created and participated in by multiple people, eventually the mods would see a need to create a separate forum for it. Given there are only two Orby related posts, the fact that one of them is lobbying for an Orby forum is pretty ridiculous!

9. Nov 9, 2019 #9 of 13
    AngryManMLS

AngryManMLS Active Member

Jan 30, 2014
    MN
    I still don't think Orby is going to last. I never see them advertised on TV outside of subnets that's target demographics is seniors which means they are paying next to nothing for ad space. And I can't imagine many seniors ponying up for Orgy.

10. NYDutch

NYDutch DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Dec 28, 2013
    I would think seniors on limited fixed incomes would be a very good market for Orby.

11. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    I would pony up for that! :p

MysteryMan likes this.
  12. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    It is a cord cutter's satellite system. (Streaming may be better if one is already paying for Internet.) Decent channels but no sports due to the cost of those channels and other major channels not carried due to how the content owners want their channels bundled. Relying on OTA for local channels keeps the costs down. The initial cost is high but they now have financing available to spread out the cost of the receiver(s) and installation. The service fills a niche.

NYDutch likes this.
  13. AngryManMLS

AngryManMLS Active Member

Jan 30, 2014
    MN
    Damn you auto correct!