Why email hasn’t killed the fax

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by Mark Holtz, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    From InfoWorld:

Why email hasn’t killed the fax
    We should have had a suitable alternative to the fax long ago, but email failed
    FULL ARTICLE HERE

jimmie57 likes this.
  2. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    Great song.

3. Wolfmanjohn

Wolfmanjohn Cool Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Chico, CA
    When the phone rings and the screen shows a number that looks like a solicitation, I hit the "accept" button for fax; junk calls seem to have decreased quite a bit since I started doing that.

4. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    I must admit I'm amused at the assertions about the fax process.

Apparently the writer of the article missed the good old days of, among other things, wrinkled and otherwise smeared looking faxes, repeatedly receiving wrong number calls from fax machines on your voice phone line, and the irretrievable missing page of a faxed document. Then there's the "security" of a received fax sitting in the machine for everyone to read.

Sure email has its problems, but a PDF attachment doesn't need a two-hole punch and a file cabinet to be "filed."

5. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I was wondering about that too. So much neater and simpler to use email and a scanner. I haven't been asked for a fax number...can't remember the last time.

Rich

6. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    I haven't been asked to send or receive a fax for several years either. Last time someone suggested sending a fax I asked if they could take an email attachment. They said yes without any hesitation.

7. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Makes me happy, never liked faxes. Always seemed so sloppy.

Rich