1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why in 2012 is the guide still broken?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by saleen351, Jun 28, 2012.

1. saleen351

saleen351 Godfather

Mar 28, 2006
    Every night when I flip channels I come across a show on the guide I want to watch but when I click it I don't go to the show. The reason is these shows start just after the top or bottom of the hour therefore the guide gets confused by the one minute gap. So you are technically clicking on a show that is already over.

End of the world? No. But it's annoying....

Last night fore example had 3 channels in a row on my guide like this...

C'mon Man.... :rolleyes:

2. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    I'm not seeing that issue on my end. Regardless of how much time is left in a show my units change the channel when I select something from the guide.

3. Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    Just a coincidence on your end though...

To the OP, yes, it can be annoying, but what do you expect them to do about it?!

~Alan

4. fleckrj

fleckrj Icon

Sep 4, 2009
    Cary, NC
    Clicking on a program only takes you to that program if the current time indicator on the top of the guide is at or beyond the start of the program. To jump from the guide directly to any channel requires that the cursor be at the far left of the guide or to the left of the guide and on the channel ID.

5. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    How is it a coincidence? It's always worked that way and it's how it should work.

6. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    Exactly, that's how it's always been and how it should be. Selecting a show that hasn't started to air yet shouldn't change the channel.

7. Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    It's a coincidence you've never experienced the irritation that can come from that...

As far as how it should work... well, I've been irritated with it from time to time, but I believe there's a logical reason for it, so I'm good with it regardless. :)

~Alan

8. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    As RunnerFL has pointed out, the guide isn't broken. It just works that way.

To say the guide is broken is to want an manual transmission for a car that won't allow you to accidentally shift into the wrong gear. I don't know of a manual transmission that will keep you from accidentally shifting into 3rd when you meant to shift into 1st.

Same difference.

The guide doesn't eliminate human error. I suppose this could be designed out, just like a microprocessor could be programmed to monitor your car to eliminate a dumb shift, but in both cases, it's probably the best, and certainly the cheapest and easiest solution to let human beings be human beings and make a mistake every now and then.

I mean, there are both a clock and a cursor for the current time on the guide page. If the OP wanted to stop making this mistake, he'd only have to look at those.

9. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    Why would I be irritated by something that worked as it should?

10. Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    Have you seriously NEVER tuned into something via the Guide that started a minute or two into after the hour or half-hour and simply didn't see that it started a minute or two afterwards due to the tiny sliver of a block from the previous program in the Guide?! :confused:

It's annoying, but short of having DirecTV refresh the GUIDE every minute or every so many seconds, it's going to happen from time to time, and that's fine, but it can be irritating. :)

~Alan

11. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    No, I haven't.

12. Xsabresx

Xsabresx Icon

Oct 8, 2007
    The :01 start times are the bane of my existence. They have caused so many unnecessary recording conflicts. Beyond that I havent encountered what the OP is mentioning.

13. Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    Thankfully, most of my viewing is recordings, so I don't run into it too often these days, but you should count yourself lucky nonetheless.

It would be nice if the STB only told you that this showing has finished if you tell it to record, and not when you're simply trying to view the channel... but some people might get confused by that, so I see the point of it both ways.

~Alan

14. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    Lucky how? I honestly don't see how it's an issue.

What do you expect? To get to watch the whole show if only a sliver is still left in the guide?

15. Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    In the grand scheme of things, it's not a big deal... but as stated numerous times, it can be annoying... hence why I stated you were lucky to not have experienced it.

Nothing... I simply responded to your post in which you stated that you haven't experienced this. I've ran into it numerous times over the years. It can be annoying, but it's not what I consider a big issue.

Absolutely not! Imagine this:

• You're surfing the guide... you see something on a channel you want to tune to... you THINK that you're tuning into the program that's on, but you accidentally click on an older program that has already gone off and you get the message that this showing has ended, so you exit back out of that menu screen and then click on the program that you intended to view.

It's annoying... not a big deal, but annoying...

Just a statement... not a criticism! ;) :D

~Alan

16. dcowboy7

dcowboy7 Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2008
    Pequannock, NJ
    I dont get the topic title....how is the guide broken ?

17. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    But if the old show is still in the guide I don't think I'm tuning to something new. It's as simple as looking at the guide before pressing select. If there's still a sliver from the previous show in the guide you're going to get that old show, most likely ended. You shouldn't expect to get a new show if the old show is still showing in the guide, even if it's just a sliver.

18. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    That's what I'm trying to figure out too... I'm gonna stick with it's not broken because it's working exactly as it should.

19. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    It's not really broke, it's just you have to make sure you have highlighted what you want to actually watch.

In the picture below, I have highlighted a program that you can no longer tune to. You can still get all it's info.

If you change the behavior to "fix" what the op says is a broken guide, then you take away the ability to get info about the show I have highlighted.

I think everything is fine the way it is for this paticular thing. If anything, I'd like to see us able to go back further in time in the guide.

Attached Files:

20. evan_s

evan_s Hall Of Fame

Mar 3, 2008
    Really the issue is that the guide isn't intelligent enough to handle it for you. The OP and Alan want the guide to be smart enough to recognize that in Inkahaut's shot Man on the Moon has ended and it should default to Big Stan instead so you can just arrow down to that line and hit select rather than having to hit the right arrow to get to the tv show that is currently playing on that channel.

The guide is smart enough to remember that if you've already gone right to something that started at 5:01 it will select that later show on other channels too but it doesn't get there automatically.

Personally, I've run into this and it has annoyed me but since the majority of my viewing is recordings it really isn't a big annoyance.