1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why is a second dish needed for St. Louis locals when the channels are on 119?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Ken Seeber, Jan 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber AllStar

Oct 23, 2002
    I live close to the borderline for qualifying for St. Louis locals. I'm looking for a new place to live, and my move may actually allow me to squeak into the St. Louis DMA.

On one Dish brochure and nowhere else there is a mention that a second dish is needed for locals in St. Louis. However, as far as I can tell, St. Louis locals are on the 119 satellite (at least all the locals anyone cares about).

My question is, what's the purpose of the second dish? I've never lived anywhere that qualifies for locals, so this aspect of dish ownership is new to me. Some St. Louis locals seem to be obscure local shopping and religious channels, which don't interest me at all. Could these be on another satellite, and could I get by with the single Dish 500 connected to my PVR-721?

And if a second dish is needed, how is it connected to the 721 with the main dish leads?

Thanks for any help you can give me. And if there is something I haven't asked about local channels that I haven't thought to ask, please feel free to fill me in.

2. Jacob S

Jacob S Hall Of Fame

Apr 14, 2002
    I am not sure but I think you are receiving the St. Louis locals on the 110 satellite with the dish 500. Even if it would be on 119, they are talking about the 61.5 orbital slot in which requires an additional dish and some switches in order to do this. The reason you would need the dish is for some locals that are not as popular that they put on the 61.5 slot to save some room at 110 for other local channels.

3. dishrich

dishrich Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2002
    The "big 6" St. Louis locals (no UPN yet) are currently on the 119 bird.
    Channels 24 (FamilyNet) & ch. 46 (Shopping) are at 61.5.
    HOWEVER, ch. 46 is supposed to switch to UPN on 4/1/03 - since E* usually carries any UPN stations on the main satellites(s), they might move it to 119 w/the rest. If they do this, they might move 24 as well, since it would be the ONLY station at 61.5 but there is NO guarantee they'll do this.

4. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber AllStar

Oct 23, 2002
    Thanks, that takes care of some of my fears. I wasn't really wanting to have two dishs if one would do, and FamilyNet and shopping don't interest me. Even if 46 changes to UPN, I'll likely keep WWOR out of New York as an ala carte channel.

5. Rod

Rod New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    Get the second dish and switch its free. If you want to recveive HD in the future from E* you will need 61.5.

6. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    I agree with Rod, between the dish, LNB, switche(s) and installation, your looking at over $300. The only locals we have on 61.5 is our PBS and UPN (which was an IND until Jan 1). I never watch PBS and perfer to watch UPN programming (Mainly the Twilight Zone) from WWOR or WSBK. Plus as Rod said, you'll be ready for HD in the future.

7. Jacob S

Jacob S Hall Of Fame

Apr 14, 2002
    Is FamilyNet a channel included in the basic package?

8. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    There is a national feed of FamilyNet on ch 9414 on the 148 and 61.5 locations.

9. FTA Michael

FTA Michael Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2002
    Gee whiz, you've got the opportunity to snag a free Dish. Grab it!

In addition to the unpopular St. Louis channels, you'll get several unpopular public interest channels: Daystar, Educating Everyone, FamilyNet, Good Samaritan Network, SafetyNet, and Panhandle Area education stuff. (I like watching some of these on occasion, but then again, I like watching clothes tumble in my dryer.) FamilyNet offers INN News, ancient sitcoms, and old movies thrown into its mix of religious programming.

And as Rod says, you'll be Dish-ready for HD if and when you decide to make that leap.

BE SURE to qualify your address before you choose to move there. And have fun with your second dish.

10. reddice

reddice Guest

I say don't get the second dish, it was our biggest mistake ever we had zero problems with dish our sw44 switch until we had the second dish installed so we can get out spanish stations, extra pbs from nj and li, then had nothing but switch problems with the sw64, I think they keeped giving us used switches and everyting it rained it would break, now we are currently on our 4th switch which is new and so far with the bad weather it has been working fine.

11. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    In addition to all that you'll also get mirrors of Shop at Home and IShop, the international promo channel and everyones favorite, free newscasts on TVJapan :D

12. TNGTony

TNGTony Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Some of the free newscasts on TV Japan are in English. Some are in Japanese, but have an English second audio track if you select the "japanese" alternate audio track.

See http://ekb.dbstalk.com/143

See ya
    Tony

13. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Sometimes I do the free TVJapan stuff, it's interestring. There's this one news show that's in English that I catch every once in a while that has the top stories from different Asian nations, I think the show is only 15 minutes though. Is it just me or is the PQ on TVJapan just fantastic. or maybe just looks great because most of the FTA stuff is talking news heads which most if the time, look great. My buddy is real into Japanese culture and would love this channel.

14. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber AllStar

Oct 23, 2002
    I've already checked and the town I'm thinking of moving to is definitely in the St. Louis DMA. It's just not a town I'm all that thrilled with living in, but then again it also might just be my aversion to moving in general. I like the apartment I have now.

That said, I'm going to have three receivers --- one of them a PVR-721 --- hooked to this dish. It'll be awhile before I make the move to HD, so for the time being I think I'll stick with the simplicity of the single dish.

Thanks for the tips. I'm looking forward to getting the major networks on ST. Louis locals!

15. RJS1111111

RJS1111111 Icon/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Maybe I'm not tuning in at the right times.
    Setting alternate language to Japanese
    doesn't seem to work for me, either.

16. RJS1111111

Mar 23, 2002
    I think the picture looks great because their programming
    originates in High Definition, and gets downconverted for
    broadcast here.

17. TNGTony

TNGTony Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    RJS,

I know that their evening news (at 6 am here) has the second audio track. :)

See ya
    Tony

18. RJS1111111

Mar 23, 2002
    Saw this on my local PBS (KRMA) via dish last night.

It looked great in S-Video on a 20-inch screen.

Must be simply scrumptious in Hi-Def!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.