1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why is D* charging HR21 owners for AM21's?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by allenn, May 6, 2008.

1. May 6, 2008 #1 of 68
    allenn

allenn Icon

Nov 19, 2005
    Georgia
    Am I the only member of this forum that thinks D* should not be charging HR21 owners for the AM21? I originally ordered a HD DVR with OTA capability. I got an HR21-700 which has zilch OTA. I ordered an HD DVR for my bedroom and got a refurb HR20-100 which has OTA at no additional expense. I think it sucks that I have to pay for something that should have been included.

2. May 6, 2008 #2 of 68
    spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    If I needed OTA, I wouldn't have accepted the HR21.

3. May 6, 2008 #3 of 68
    ajc68

ajc68 Icon

Jan 23, 2008
    If you call D* (don't order it online) and you are eligible, they will give it to you for free, or charge you and give your account a credit.

4. May 6, 2008 #4 of 68
    Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    Removing the OTA tuners from the HD DVR's was a way for DIRECTV to cut cost on the units to save their self money and to allow customer to lease the unit for less.

Since a lot of customer don't need OTA tuners it benefits them to save money on something that don't need and won't use anyway and DIRECTV still has an option for customers that do need OTA tuners.

Remember the HD DVR's were $299 and the price was dropped to $199 when the HR21's came out. So if you get an HR21 for $199 and pay $50 for the AM21 you are still paying less than a lot of people did when the HR20's came out.

5. May 6, 2008 #5 of 68
    David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    does that really apply now? a new customer for 1 set price gets whatever they are sent. they have no choice, it could be a 20 or a 21 that shows up.

6. May 6, 2008 #6 of 68
    Michael D'Angelo

Oct 20, 2006
    Stock is very low on the HR20's so there is not a great chance of getting one and since the CSR's can't guarantee what unit you will get I guess that is why it is a set $199 price. Plus if you do get an HR20 it will be refurbished.

7. May 6, 2008 #7 of 68
    David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    mine was new (man 10-2007) when I got it first week of February dropped shipped from D*. granted 3 months is a long time in this situation.
    I'll be honest, I've always suspected (just an opinion, I have no proof) the 21 design was to allow charging for an add on product.

8. May 6, 2008 #8 of 68
    Michael D'Angelo

Oct 20, 2006
    No, the HR21 was to definitely to cut cost on the unit for DIRECTV and their customers benefit. It allowed them to drop the price a $100 and it allowed customer to get the unit for a $100 less or $50 less now if you need to buy the AM21.

It seems like a lot of people need OTA tuners on this site but in reality I am sure their overall customer base is a lot lower percentage. I don't have any facts to support that except from a job I did for 5 years up until a few years ago. When I was at customers houses installing their systems and they had DIRECTV not to many of them had OTA's.

9. May 6, 2008 #9 of 68
    David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    lol, agreeing to disagree right ? :)

10. dcmidnight

dcmidnight Mentor

Jul 6, 2007
    Last month I got the wrong receiver sent to me after being promised, twice, by retention in recorded calls that I would get the HR20 during my upgrade. I emailed DTV yesterday about the AM21 and within a few hours received confirmation back that I would be sent one free of charge. I believe if you have upgraded in the last 90 days you are eligible for a free AM21.

11. kokishin

kokishin Godfather

Sep 30, 2006
    Silicon...
    IMHO, it's bigger than this site. Directv's lack of satellite capacity to carry more digital locals (both main and sub channels), especially the HDTV locals has caused a renewed interest in OTA. Before, one could get just about all the analog locals in your area from Directv so OTA was not needed. If folks are investing big bucks in HDTV and surround sound systems, they want to get more than their HDTV big 3 network locals (CBS, NBC, ABC, and usually one other). For example, a lot us want to watch PBS in HD (I know, Directv says it's coming). Only way to get PBS HD today is OTA. Some HDTV independents carry pro and college sports broadcasts that can only be received OTA today. Someday when Directv is carrying all the HDTV locals in most of the DMA's, then OTA will not a big deal and the interest in the AM21 will diminish.

12. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    In the major markets what channels aren't being carried? I could be confused here, but my impression was that the must carry rules mean that if the local channels are covered in the market, then all of the locals are carried. I realize that there are subchannels, but so far they represent little interest in most markets. The PBS situation is being dealt with. I realize that many individuals on this site are interested... but real world? I you walked into a mall and asked 100 people about subchannels you would get 95 blank stares. Dont mistake the high level of awareness and expertise within this site as being representative of the real world.. it isn't.

In a marketplace where people buy HDTV's without any provisions for an HD signal source, where they are more concerned with "filling" the screen of their new giant tv screen than seeing the picture in it's proper format, subchannels and independents that are HD are minor issues.

I do believe that DirecTV should be supplying AM21's to customers who wanted OTA capability but where unable to get a DVR with OTA capability for free.

But DirecTV hasn't mis-read the marketplace, most of their clients wont miss the OTA tuner.

13. glennb

glennb Hall Of Fame

Sep 21, 2006
    Since it's such a small amount of DIRECTV customers that supposedly need the AM21 I think the AM21 should be free to those customers that need it. If they don't have HD locals provided by DIRECTV and get an HR21 they should get the AM21 for free, not pay $50 for the AM21. If the customer gets the HD locals off the dish but wants the local HD sub channels, or local WB channel, or local PBS channel, or whatever then they can pay $50 for the AM21.

14. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    fwiw, none of my locals are carried in HD so I use OTA extensively. and in extreme rural areas locals are not an option so OTA/external antenna are needed for news/weather.

15. jimb726

jimb726 Icon

Jan 9, 2007
    I dont see it as a big deal. They are a sat company after all. I dont think $50 dollars is unreasonable for a feature that a small number of people need. For the record, I have a HR-21 and I paid for it. And I got it in a day.

16. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Having paid $299 for my HR20-700 I would certainly have preferred paying just $249 for an HR21 and AM21.

17. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    And those that don't want OTA... probably like only paying $199 or less for theirs without OTA hardware.

18. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    That's the key .. the lower cost to DIRECTV has translated into a bit of an ala-carte to the customers. Those that need it pay a little more, those that don't pay a little less.

19. inazsully

inazsully Icon

Oct 3, 2006
    Why did "D" come out with the HR20 followed so closely by the HR21? I understand the financial reasons for the HR21's birth, but why not just either drop the OTA feature on the HR20 or not have incorporated it in the first place? I mean, the OTA feature was not turned on in the HR20 for quite some time after it's release.

20. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    Essentially they did just drop the OTA when they created the HR21. They also changed the case color and added a tiny bit bigger hard drive, but essentially it remains the same. They didn't reinvent the wheel, is that's what you're asking.