1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why is Directv trying to push Sony TV's with HR34 purchases?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Spoonie, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Apr 4, 2012 #1 of 20
    Spoonie

Spoonie AllStar

Nov 14, 2006
    Just got off the phone inquiring about an HR34. The phone rep said that the receiver will not have all the functionality unless I get a sony TV that has RVU functionality. Is Directv that desperate now that they are now pushing TV's for Sony? I don't like it. She tried to make it seem like the thing wouldn't work without a Sony TV. Oh well... I'll just mail order it and hook it up my self. Rant over.

2. Apr 4, 2012 #2 of 20
    say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    I thought it was Samsung that was RVU ready.

3. Apr 4, 2012 #3 of 20
    rdw6

rdw6 Cool Member

Mar 28, 2007
    Sometimes the people you talk to at DTV are unfortunately mis-informed.

4. Apr 4, 2012 #4 of 20
    mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    Imagine how many people actually go out and buy a sony on this CSR's advice only to discover it won't work. That's why I'm grateful for sites like this.

5. Apr 4, 2012 #5 of 20
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    And not all Samsung TVs either. I do think you can go out right now and get a non RVU compatible Samsung.

To the OP, that's what I did, just ordered and self installed. I'm assuming you already have SWM and the HR34 won't take you over your current tuner limit (commonly 8)?

6. Apr 4, 2012 #6 of 20
    Spoonie

Spoonie AllStar

Nov 14, 2006
    Yes. The dish I have installed has a SWM. I have a single tuner in the living room which I plan on making a dual tuner setup. Add that to the HR34 and that brings me up to 7. Between the two I'll be able to record 7 different shows at one time. I can't wait to get it.

Oh yeah.... Thanks btw.

7. Apr 4, 2012 #7 of 20
    RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    If the CSR you spoke to said "Sony" then they mis-spoke, it's Samsung that has the RVU built in.

8. Apr 4, 2012 #8 of 20
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    No problem. Just wanted to make sure it was as easy of a swap out as you were expecting, and it is. Sometimes can't tell if someone has thought of everything :)

9. Apr 4, 2012 #9 of 20
    tgater

tgater Godfather

Jul 24, 2007
    Is there a list of the Samsung's with RVU built in. I myself thought any Samsung with "Smart Technology" was compatible.

10. iceburg02

iceburg02 AllStar

Sep 20, 2006
    From DIRECTV.com:

Currently, Samsung TV models 6000, 6400, and 6420 support RVU. More TV models featuring RVU technology are coming soon.

11. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    Iceburg02 has posted the model numbers from last year. I believe that Samsung has stated that all 2012 Smart TVs will be RVU compatible. Right now stores will have both last year's models and this year's models so be careful.

12. Barry in Conyers

Barry in Conyers Godfather

Jan 14, 2008
    Metro-Atlanta
    I don't have a dog in this fight, but if new RVU capable Samsung TV's come with firmware version 1028, .....

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?p=2985796

No idea whether this is a DirecTV firmware problem, a Samsung firmware problem or some combination of both, but potential Samsung RVU TV buyers might want to be cautious until it is resolved.

13. iceburg02

iceburg02 AllStar

Sep 20, 2006
    My apologies - thanks for the correction. Would be nice if D* had current info on their site.

14. mchero

mchero Cool Member

Feb 18, 2012
    I think SONY's quality & reputation is now at stake after all those WEGA TV's they shot out of their manufacturing plants with DEFECTIVE optical blocks!

15. CurtP

CurtP AllStar

Jan 8, 2008
    Even when RVU works, it still sucks. It may be marginally acceptable for a guest bedroom TV, but not on a main TV.

16. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    SO you have tried it? When, how was it actually hooked up, and what was wrong with it? And it is young, it will get better over time. I think the real culprit on rvu right now is that the hr34 needs plenty of work still on its firmware...

17. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    Their training hasn't been the best. You can not use its rvu capabilities without a samsung tv (not sony) but that doesn't mean it won't work exactly like the other dvrs in their lineup, which I don't think they explained very well.

I'd still say order it through them if you can get a discount on it, because the installers are usually smarter than the csr, especially on this particular issue.

18. CurtP

CurtP AllStar

Jan 8, 2008
    Yes, I had it. I gave up and went back to traditional receivers recently. Currently I feel that RVU is dead. It was released too soon, doesn't work well and doesn't save you any money on leased receiver fees. I like the concept, but the execution is very poor.

19. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    Rvu isn't being pushed right now at all, from the marketing department, and likely won't be until they release a client. Rvu is anything but dead. It really hasn't launched yet.

And we don't know if it will save you money or not. I have not seen one person say they have tried to activate more than three rvu clients. If we can activate eight clients but only be charged for three a month per hr34 that we have, then it will save money. I hope that's what they do, since you can only use three clients at time with one server. I'm guessing by the end of the year, we will all know more.

You still didn't mention what was wrong or why you gave up on it.

20. CurtP

CurtP AllStar

Jan 8, 2008
    I've hashed it out in other threads on why I've given up on it. Trickplay is too slow to respond to be usable, audio and video dropouts, it's buggy and with the latest firmware from Samsung, doesn't work at all. And that's why I think it's dead - unless they fix all the issues, it's going to continue to be a PITA to use and customers won't like it.

Personally, I think I already know how they'll "fix" trickplay - they'll disable it. It will end up being like an H-series receiver. And if they do that, what would be the point of RVU over an H25?