Why is dish prices so high without HBO and RSN?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by comizzou573, Jun 8, 2020.

1. Jun 8, 2020 #1 of 14
    comizzou573

comizzou573 Legend

Aug 6, 2007
    I sub to America Everything Pak, and it's so frustrating that Dish has done nothing to get HBO or RSN back. I am looking at changing to directv due to their stupidity and lack in quality of service has decreased. This Charlie ******* still increases the monthly cost of service without HBO and RSN. Should the price have at least decreased by $20?

2. Jun 8, 2020 #2 of 14
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    AEP $134.99 plus $12 for locals since January 2020? Was $154.99 plus $12 for locals in January 2019.

Dishdude714 likes this.
  3. Jun 9, 2020 #3 of 14
    patmurphey

patmurphey Godfather

Dec 21, 2006
    My price went down $25 when HBO/Cinemax went away (before the unrelated Feb $5 increase).

4. Jun 9, 2020 #4 of 14
    techguy88

techguy88 Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2015
    Actually according to MyDish that $134.99 price includes locals as of 2020. There is a Regional Sports Surcharge that is up to $3 based on zip code that was introduced this year however most customers don't even see this where Dish doesn't carry the majority of the RSNs at the moment. According to this the non-locals price for AEP is $122.99/mo.

In the markets E* carries RSNs the reason their RSN surcharge is drastically lower than D*'s is due to D* carrying most RSNs (D* is only missing NBC Sports Philadelphia and NBC Sports Northwest at this point.)

In comparison the Premier package on D* is $174.99/mo before discounts with an RSN fee up to $9.99/mo (this is under the old pricing structure where TV access charges & ARS charges are billed separately, under the new pricing structure on the website that includes 1 TV w/Genie DVR, WH-DVR & HD ARS the price is $197/mo before discounts.)

So if you exclude equipment, TV and Regional Sports fees. E* customers are paying $40 less than D* customers for comparable programming due to the loss of HBO/Cinemax on E*. (It is also worth noting D* has always been on average $10-$12 higher for the top tier package when E* had HBO/Cinemax IIRC.)

Now if you compare D*'s Ultimate to E*'s America's Top 200 which have similar channel line-ups and no missing channels due to disputes; E* is cheaper by $10 before you factor in the RSN fee. (D*'s Ultimate is $119.99 vs E*'s America's Top 200 @ $109.99 before discounts.)

Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
    Dishdude714 likes this.
  5. Jun 9, 2020 #5 of 14
    James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Yep ... I misread my notes. Effectively the price of AEP DID drop $20 from January 2019 to January 2020 with the loss of HBO/Cinemax (drop $25 then add $5 annual price increase).

For the past few of years DISH has not been billing for "AEP" ... they billed for "AT250" then added the movie packs (with a discount for buying all movie packs). There would be older subscribers in the system that were billed for "AEP" as one package for the same rate as "AT250" plus the movie packs.

The addition of the RSN fee will not be seen by most subscribers - although there are a few RSNs on DISH (Big 10, Pac 12 and a couple of true RSN).

Dishdude714 and techguy88 like this.
  6. Jun 9, 2020 #6 of 14
    techguy88

techguy88 Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2015
    I'm not sure how E*'s determining who is billed the Regional Sports Surcharge but they provide 1 true RSN for my mother's address (AT&T SportsNet Pittsburgh) and don't charge the surcharge according to their calculator. D* however provides that RSN + Fox Sports Ohio, Fox Sports Cincinnati (part-time) & SportsTime Ohio and if she had say Xtra instead of Preferred Xtra the RSN fee for her would be $9.13.

7. Abe12

Abe12 New Member

Jun 11, 2020
    The clincher is Dish's lower price, better DVR hopper and Joey's. The 2 year price guarentee. It would be no contest with the local sports contract but yes that is a big disappointing factor for our household. No Twins or Timberwolves. Sorry if this is the wrong place for this comment as is my first post. Will get better organized.

Jon W likes this.
  8. krel

krel New Member

Mar 20, 2013
    DTV is more $$$ than dish
    if you watch the PAC12 channels good luck DTV don't carry those also. and only a 1 year price lock..

9. Willh

Willh Legend

Jan 1, 2009
    the answer is simple, blame ViacomCBS, Walt Disney Company, NBCUniversal, Fox, Discovery Networks, AMC Networks, AT&T/WarnerMedia and and all other companies for having retransmission fees being too expensive that Dish has to pass it on to the customers in the form of a pricey bill.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

Dishdude714 likes this.
  10. krel

krel New Member

Mar 20, 2013
    good ole charlies screwed either way. people will ***** if he drops programming or they will ***** if they get a rate increase. can't win LOL

11. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    The programmers have cable/satellite over a barrel. They have for years. This is chasing more people to streaming.

Dishdude714 and krel like this.
  12. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    The oddity is that the content providers seem to be more willing to package a bit differently with the live streaming services than they are with cable/sat.

And of course, there’s always the consumer that for some odd reason doesn’t understand that the more channels the higher the price.

krel and Dishdude714 like this.
  13. krel

krel New Member

Mar 20, 2013
    AGREE!!!

Dishdude714 likes this.
  14. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The providers are dealing with only their channels. Most still want all of their content (or as much as possible) on the first tier. I am not sure if they are giving the streamers a better deal than cable/satellite or not - but they do seem to be the allowance of smaller bundles.

If they are allowing the streamers a better deal it won't last long. The more they undercut traditional satellite/cable deals the less subscribers they end up having. Over time they will need to make up for their losses ... either by reducing the quality of programming, the quantity of new programming or both.

Dishdude714 likes this.