1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why is my reciever so horrible?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Mailyfesux, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Mailyfesux

Mailyfesux New Member

Jan 14, 2010
    I have the hr21-700, and ever since the beginning, the menu navigation and channel changing has been slow as hell. And now recently, the dvr is starting to be unresponsive to remote commands. Video playback is choppy and pixelated at best and occasionally freezing up while watching recordings.

I've even called and asked directv what's going on and they say that the unresponsiveness and slowness is because of "better" technology on the HD dvr's. I'd like to call myself a tech geek so I don't believe their bs. They are probably just trying to cover up the bad and inefficient software programming.

/rant

I just had to get that out of my system. Sorry if I missed a rant thread. Anybody else having these problems?

2. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    It sounds like you may have a bad hard drive in your unit. While menu functions, and direct channel entry can be slow, and miss keystrokes, the video playback being choppy and freezing up is a indication of a problem with the hardware.

You should call DirecTv back, and request someone come check your system... That is not normal behavior.

3. prozone1

prozone1 AllStar

Sep 22, 2007
    Mine was doing the same thing I added an Esata drive and it now works great
    menu response faster no more freezing of the picture

4. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    Yeah something's not right. Have you tried doing a menu reset yet?

5. Mark Walters

Mark Walters Legend

Sep 21, 2009
    These HR boxes are embarrassing. I enjoy D* programming but if this TIVO HD box doesn't come out by end of March I'm done with this service. I don't care anymore. I started another thread somewhere about this months ago and a multitude of folks concurred and expressed frustrations regarding this garbage. I have half a dozen boxes and they are all extremely slow and are pieces of donkey kong. I have different HDHR model numbers and they are all fairly new -- it's the same thing. Takes forever to type in a 3-digit channel number and get the actual 3-digit number to appear. I don't want to get started again, but this is an embarrassment. WE are in the 21st century. I really have to keep my patience when football is on because it's impossible during football games to change channels. It's extra slow during NFL. PIECE OF &^%$. I don't understand why this isn't fixed right away. But no, we getting 3D garbage instead of making the fundamentals work properly. Let's add xtra bs worthless features rather than get the damn box to function properly.

6. JeffBowser

JeffBowser blah blah blah

Dec 21, 2006
    It would be nice if they would put some horsepower into the processor. Of course, they way they handle box replacements, you'd never be assured of getting a new box.

7. Mark Walters

Mark Walters Legend

Sep 21, 2009
    Here is the thread I started months ago regarding the same crap. Many people had the same problems with lag time and overall performance. It's pathetic -- does Dish go through this? I know cable doesn't and I know the old Tivo boxes were perfect. I'm more of a proponent of a box that works rather a box with xtras to balance off frustrations. THIS SHOULD BE THE NUMBER 1 PROBLEM FIXED IMMEDIATELY!! Now they coming out with another piece of %$#@ HR24? Don't waste a penny people. http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=166134

8. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    How do you know that one isn't going to fix the speed issue? :confused:

9. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    I think its funny the csr said it does not work right due to better technology.

10. Mark Walters

Mark Walters Legend

Sep 21, 2009
    Well, perhaps because it's been a problem since the existence of these boxes. And during this long period of time having these issues, we've received quite a few software updates with no sign of correcting the real complications plaguing these boxes. FEMA looks fantastic compared to D* attempt at fixing a widespread pandemic. Funny how we've heard nothing regarding the new TIVO HD and even the TIVO reps at CES say, ask D*. In other words they are holding it up and for what? To curse us with another lemon/HR24?

11. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    Ok people, we know you don't like the HR2x but please don't cloud Mailyfesux's issues, which could be something different based on his reports in the first post. If he has pixelated picture and freezing there's something else at play here.

Go complain in your own threads and don't junk up a valid issues thread that could well be fixable.

12. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Maybe TiVo is waiting for this new DVR since their software will be running on DirecTV hardware.

13. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Couldn't some of it be signal levels?

14. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    HR2x units have worked very well for most folks. Sorry to hear that is not the case in your situation. In another thread, there is word that another significant firmware/software update may be forthcoming shortly on those units, and a performance improvement is among the rumored items to be included.

As for any new DirecTV HD Tivobox...they may or many not make your ultimatum deadline.

15. barryb

barryb New Member

Aug 26, 2007
    First off: :welcome_s to DBSTalk Mailyfesux

There are many here who will help you out.. so stick around. First thing to do is hit "menu", then "setup" then "reset". Just follow the on screen prompts as this is a very easy task.

After you do this, please report back here to see if this helps.

16. Mike Greer

Mike Greer Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    I am also in a constant state of frustration with my HR22s. I don’t want to re-hash it all as I have come to accept that if I am going to stick with DirecTV their receivers are going to suck.

It seems that the “A new software update should be here soon and will address many of these problems” has been the standard answer since the HR20 was first released. For whatever reasons the HR receivers have speed issues and I expect that to continue to be the case at least until they have new hardware… And then we’ll see how that goes but I’m not holding my breath.

Having said that – it does sound like you have an additional problem over the usual response problems. It could be that your hard drive is failing – if you have an external drive you can test with that could tell you quickly.

Do you have other receivers?

17. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    A reset is the quickest way to try to fix the problem, but may or may not help.

Checking signal strength may be useful, but if you are not having pixelation/breakups on viewing live broadcasts I don't thing that's the problem.

I'd say calling for a truck roll is in order. The CSR response is a real laugher, though.

...and I didn't know that hell was especially slow. :D

18. drpjr

drpjr Icon

Nov 23, 2007
    Sakatomatoes...
    Wow! I knew the expectations for the new TIVO were high.:D I can't wait either but just a WAG, I wouldn't hold my breath.;):lol:

19. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Perfect? Hmm...I went through 4 Tivos 3 of which failed in 4 years with MANY freezes and resets, but I have had the same HR20 still rockin' for 3+ years. Go figure.

20. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    I think they could be more responsive, but I recently had the chance to use a UVerse DVR, and it was even slower than either of my HR2x's, and I don't believe UVerse offers an RF remote...with all the raving I have been reading about UVerse I didnt get it.