Why isn't BBC World in AT250?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by mwdxer, Dec 8, 2018.

1. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    I asked Dish about having BBC World in AT250. It is only in their news pack I have to pay $10 a month to get channel. It is crazy, The channel is only in SD too. While Direct TV as well as Spectrum (Charter) has the channel in their upper tier packages and in HD. I wrote Dish about it and got the reply that it was written that way in the contract. Now that does not make since. I think the channel is controlled by Scripes(?) anyway the company that has Discovery (I believe). So why in the World would Dish be forced into putting the channel in a package few can view? I want BBC World as I like them and have been a fan of the BBC since I was a kid. The channel is not available in a stream. I could sub to a small streaming package as an add on, but that would cost be $18 a month or more from another company. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks.

2. patmurphey

patmurphey Godfather

Dec 21, 2006
    Yeah, Dish was right, it's that way in the existing contract, maybe next contract it will make it depending on cost. If it's that important, pay for it somewhere else.

3. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    It's handled by AMC Networks. Discovery's BBC distribution deal ended back in 2013 and they have since signed with AMC Networks.

4. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    Thanks. If it is under AMC Networks, I wonder why they would want so few viewers on Dish. Am I missing something? This does not make sense. Why would any programmer only want a few viewers. The numbers of subs to this channel must be pretty low on Dish, while most can watch it on Direct or Cable.

5. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    No where else is less expensive. So I am stuck for the time being. I even checked the Dish International News package for $5 a month, but BBC is not included.