1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why Network the HR20?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by jeffreydavisjr, Oct 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oct 9, 2007 #1 of 18
    jeffreydavisjr

jeffreydavisjr Legend

Jul 12, 2007
    Can someone explain to me the main reason one would want to network the HR20 to my network/internet. I realize I can stream music/images...

But is there any other purpose. Will "Buy Now" pay per views be transferred through the internet rather than the phone line?

Any other reasons? The reason I ask is because I need all my bandwidth 100% of the time, and I dont want the HR20 downloading updates or whatever and killing my bandwidth.

2. Oct 9, 2007 #2 of 18
    Anonuser

Anonuser AllStar

Jan 15, 2007
    Direct TV on Demand (DoD)

3. Oct 9, 2007 #3 of 18
    inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    remote booking too....

4. NCMAT

NCMAT Godfather

Feb 12, 2007
    From what I've read, remote booking doesn't require networking. After you book online, the HR20 receives the record command from the satellite.

5. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    Remote booking doesn't "need" networking.

6. Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain Active Member

Dec 7, 2006
    The only thing that you did not mention that others have, is the DOD or VOD which is the Dirctv on Demand better know as Video on Demand. However, it will take your bandwidth down when downloading the desired selection and it can take some time if you do not have a VERY high speed connection.

The other options are music and photos that are supplied from an internal network connection from a PC. Once the PC is configured to share these items using a media server software, then the HR20 will recognize the PC on the network where you can go and select picture slide shows and/or music to watch/listen to.

It certainly is NOT required to hook your HR20 up to the network, it is a choice and now you know what you can do with the network connection.

7. 4DThinker

4DThinker Godfather

Dec 17, 2006
    If they would at some point in the future let us access the internet on the HR20, then I'd be networking the two I have and buying two more. Currently I have a HTPC in each room for internet access and sharing DVDs from my collection. That brings up one more thing that network connection could be good for: Accessing DVDs you have backed up to a server on your home network.

8. cody21

cody21 Icon

Sep 26, 2007
    If I have a wireless Laptop that communicates with my LinkSys Router, is there a method that would allow me to plug my Laptop into the HR20-700s ethernet port and be able to get DoD ? (e.g., Can the Laptop serve as the vehicle to get the DoD stuff into my HR20 via my Linksys?) If so, is there any documentation about how to properly set it up / configure it?

Hopefully this all made sense..

9. Bathel

Bathel AllStar

Aug 18, 2007
    U could just use a wireless bridge.

10. MIAMI1683

MIAMI1683 New Member

Jul 11, 2007
    My kinsys router has 4 available ethernet ports on it, I just ran a cat5 cable directly to it and walla. on the network and wireless working for the xbox360 and laptop

11. Nighty

Nighty Cool Member

Sep 4, 2007
    You can also share pictures & music from a Media Center PC to the HR20...

12. spidey

spidey Hall Of Fame

Aug 31, 2006
    In the future we may be able to record on one HR20 and view on another HR20 on the network

13. Sintori

Sintori Legend

Sep 5, 2007
    That would be SWEET!! :grin:

14. dscott72

dscott72 Cool Member

Jan 9, 2007
    I would love to have that option, not to mention my wife. Plus if that capability was possible it would make an easier argument for getting a 2nd HD tv set and a 2nd HR20.

15. albriedis

albriedis Legend

Sep 29, 2007
    So what info does the HR20 get from the phone line?
    from internet ?
    from satellite?

The main reason I want to know is if I have to keep phone line connected since I almost never PPV. And the others, just cause I need to know.

16. quarky42

quarky42 Mentor

Oct 11, 2007
    You don't have to have a phone line connected at all. They want you to have one, but it is not required.

I have never had a home phone line while having DirecTV service. My local phone company sucks and the phone lines out here where I live are crap.

I don't want to be able to do PayPerView.

17. RamaX

RamaX AllStar

Nov 24, 2006
    3 questions:

1) Do you HAVE to have Windows "Media Center", or is there some prog that can simulate what youd need, or is Media Player enough.

2) Spanky_Partain mentioned "The only thing that you did not mention that others have, is the DOD or VOD which is the Dirctv on Demand better know as Video on Demand. However, it will take your bandwidth down when downloading the desired selection and it can take some time if you do not have a VERY high speed connection."
    What sort of speed are you talkin about..?? I havent tried out CE yet, but im considering it (one reason im waiting is cause my HR20 is the 100, and from what ive heard its not updated as often as the 700)

3) Does anyone really think D* is going to allow things on one DVR to be played on another, say if theyre both on the same network (i also dont know if i would connect my PC direct to the D* recvr or go all the way to the router (which is a floor away) and then back to the PC (which is 5 feet from the Liv Rm TV hehe)

18. wmj5

wmj5 Godfather

Aug 26, 2007
    I have a H20-100 and r/f remote, I can put it on a music channel and leave it there about an hour or so and the remote will be dead, won't change channels, pull up menu or anything (some time) a few times I can reset it and its ok but most of the time I have to go to the receiver and reprogram the remote, would this be the receiver or the remote, thanks for any help:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.