Why No 4K

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Andrew Sullivan, Oct 19, 2019.

1. Andrew Sullivan

Andrew Sullivan Active Member

Dec 7, 2017
    Just wondering why no one but DirecTV offers any 4K programming. Is it too expensive for Dish and the variety of cable companies? Do they not see a big enough market to justify the cost? Do they feel that most 4K available is sports and that's not enough incentive? What exactly would be involved for Dish to include a 4K channel?

2. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    DISH has 4K channels (available on the Hopper 3 or Joey 4K) but not a lot of 4K content.

3. Andrew Sullivan

Dec 7, 2017
    Thanks James. I guess the obvious question is how does Dishes 4K content compare to DirecTV's 4K content? NFL, Golf, nature stuff? DirecTV repeats a ton of stuff but they do ad some stuff occassionally.

4. zeebre12

zeebre12 Member

Dec 28, 2014
    new york
    Have DirecTV actually have a full time 4K channel? If so what does it show?
    Is Dish's 4K channel only used part time for sport?

5. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    DIRECTV channel 104 DTV4K is about 98% full time. It basically broadcast human interest content.

6. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    They also have 2 Full time 4K PPV channels and 3 4K live event channels

there is also a number of cable companies offering 4K part time event channels also. My cable company has a full time NASA 4K channel they also shows 4K sports

7. Andrew Sullivan

Dec 7, 2017
    Not sure what you mean by "Human Interest" but they show quite a bit of interesting things. A lot of nature things like The Arctic Circle, National Parks, many ocean and around the world nature shows. They also show some of the Olympics, NFL games, the Masters Golf Tournament. World Cup, They actually have three 4K channels. 104, 105, 106. The latter is basically PPV 4K movies. The main point is that it is free and it is better than nothing. My original question is, why is DirecTV the only 4K player and has been for at least 4 years. There are a few cable companies stepping up but slowly and sparsely while Dish seems content to follow the leader.

8. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    They have 6 channels. 104-109

9. zeebre12

zeebre12 Member

Dec 28, 2014
    new york
    But only one full time channel.

10. zeebre12

zeebre12 Member

Dec 28, 2014
    new york
    Why companies are the TV shows on nature etc from?

11. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    3 are technically full time.

12. Andrew Sullivan

Dec 7, 2017
    Does Dish have any plans for broadcasting anything on a dedicated 4K channel? If not, what is their position on 4K?

13. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    When there is content to broadcast they will broadcast it. They could fill the time between the programs they carry with (for the lack of a better term) filler material. But the result would be the same ... the "DISH doesn't have enough 4K" argument isn't much different than the "DISH 4K is all filler" argument. In some ways it is better to not have a channel reminding people how little linear 4K is available.

14. Andrew Sullivan

Dec 7, 2017
    Now that's a true company line point of view. I don't think people need a reminder that there is not a lot of 4K material out there. However, there is actually more than you may think. Lots of it on YouTube even though it's not traditional programming like sit coms and hour mystery shows from the networks. Not to mention that Dish is letting Directv upsell their product by advertising that they have 4K. I'm not sure why Dish is dragging their feet but there is plenty of 4K material to keep one channel busy. Almost every single TV being sold right now is a 4K TV. Seems logical that a new 4K TV owner would like to see something in 4K. Anything at all.

15. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    How do you know what I think? Please - drop the insults.

DISH offers 4K VOD and has broadcast many 4K special events on their 4K channels (including 4K HDR).
    If you're going to tout 4K on YouTube (and Netflix) don't forget which company's 4K receivers have integrated 4K and Netflix.
    Plus they leverage 4K by having four channel picture in picture on the Hopper 3. Four HD feeds on one 4K screen.
    If the "lack of content" log jam breaks DISH is in a better position to serve 4K to every TV in a home.

DISH is selling what is available prepared for what may become available. No filler needed.

Michael P likes this.
  16. sparky27

sparky27 Member

Jun 25, 2019
    The real question is why has everyone allowed themselves to be upsold to 4k tv's when most content isn't even true 4k?

17. Andrew Sullivan

Dec 7, 2017
    That's easy. Why have we been buying 1080p capable TV's when nothing is broadcast in 1080p? As far as 4K TV's, the manufacturers need to build a demand for new TV's or go out of business. For several years they pushed 3D to the extent that all high end or even medium end TV's included 3D. They know that there will never be 4K broadcast TV. Yet now the new holy grail is looking like 8K. Today the sweet spot size wise is 55-65 range. Too small to appreciate 4K at more than 15 feet. Seeing as that we can't watch NCIS, 911, 99% of any sports game, Blue Bloods, Saturday Night Live, The local news, etc in 1080p much less 4K. Why would the powers that be make a huge huge monetary investment, with no anticipated return on that investment, in bringing 4K or even 1080p to the masses. They haven't yet and they never will.

sparky27 likes this.
  18. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Not everyone has purchased a 4K set, but the upsell isn't much of an upsell. New larger TVs are more likely to be 4K than just HD and the price difference isn't much.

sparky27 likes this.
  19. Andrew Sullivan

Dec 7, 2017
    The marketed allure of 4K and the low price is the hook. That along with the desire to have a smart TV.

sparky27 likes this.
  20. sparky27

sparky27 Member

Jun 25, 2019
    Haha I mean those reasons are exactly why I bought mine. Although I still think my plasma tv holds up really well against many of these newer LED 4k tv's...that could be because I don't have a tv bigger than 50 inches though and my 4k tv doesn't have top notch HDR. I missed out on the 3D craze, but sometimes I still entertain buying a used 3D tv and 3D BluRay player... It'd probably go great with my old HD DVD player and Dreamcast lol.