1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why no changeable color schemes on newer recievers?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Pink Jazz, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Pink Jazz

Pink Jazz Mentor

Jan 1, 2012
    Gilbert, AZ
    I remember that with many of the legacy recievers, they had the option to choose color schemes. How come none of the newer ones have this feature? It would be nice for DTV to add it in a software update. I would like a pink version of the HDUI.

2. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    How'd I know that you would want pink? This pink obsession is "odd."

3. Jon J

Jon J Grouch Extrordinaire

Apr 22, 2002
    Music City, USA
    Sorry. The color pink has been appropriated by a charity.

4. Pink Jazz

Pink Jazz Mentor

Jan 1, 2012
    Gilbert, AZ
    Not just one charity. There are many different breast cancer organizations, including The Breast Cancer Research Foundation, the National Breast Cancer Foundation, Susan G. Komen For the Cure, among others. They all use the color pink.

5. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    For me, I'm an earth-tone person. Probably a few sky-tone customers out there as well. Can't figure how we ended up with a night Gothic look.

6. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Can you imagine what responses you'd get from the CSRs when someone calls in to complain about the color scheme?

7. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Yea, that is a big problem for Microsoft. My Hughes DirecTv receivers had changeable color schemes, and I dont recall it causing anyone any problems.

8. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    And a pop singer.

Other available color schemes or "skins" would be welcome, if only so I can tell my DVRs apart easier (all in same room).

I think color is a little more difficult to provide varieties of in user prefs when the way they are used in this new GUI is probably with alpha channels to provide the soft edges and ramps needed. On old GUI's it would have been a lot easier to provide user prefs for the color.

9. Drucifer

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    The line around here is a different color scheme would confuse CSRs when a customer calls in a trouble.

10. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    Colors wouldn't matter to CSR's. It was actually a decision to ensure that everyone had the same experience no matter what receiver they were on.

I think most people would enjoy having some themes and it's the one thing I've always requested when asked. Even simple things as sport team themes would be a welcome addition however there is licensing issues possible. There is of course a matter of how the skins are designed and at what cost being able to change them on the fly woud happen.

However with internet connection it would be nice to have the option to download skins.

11. Drucifer

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Kinda like Henry Ford with you can have any color as long as it is black.

12. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    High visibility for all the visually challenged folks is really what it is....

13. Rtm

Rtm Godfather

Oct 18, 2011
    Well maybe if they added more viewable time in the guide than 1hr30min or viewable channels than the 6, that could be the defining feature.
    Not is your guide blue mam or is it black?
    But does your guide show 10 channels or 6 channels?

14. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    That's just sad.

15. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    So true!

It looks like there is enough room to extend the guide to 2 hours and add one or two rows for channels. There's a waste of space at the top and bottom. It's not as if they are allowing for over scan, as most HD TVs don't have that problem.

16. rrdirectsr

rrdirectsr Legend

Jan 30, 2011
    So far the dark grey on black has been the biggest complaint for people like myself that are viaually challenged. Other than that most people like it. I'm sure they did focus groups prior to releasing it.

17. ibooksrule

ibooksrule Godfather

Feb 16, 2003
    I miss the days of having Sony, Hughes, Samsung and so on. And so many different themes. I know I remember some sucked and some were pretty good for the day. It's to bad they don't offer that today.

18. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    No kidding. Id take the SD GUI from my Hughes E86 or second generation Sony box over the current DirecTv SD or HD gui. They were really nice.