1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why no "HD" icon.....

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Earl Bonovich, Sep 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    This question has to be right in the top 10 of questions asked today...

"Why is there no HD icon, in the guide for X,Y,Z show on the HD networks"

Two Reasons:

1) The show is NOT in HD... not ever show on an HD capable network, is actually "IN" HD....

2) The HD icon that we see in our guides, is driven off the guide data. It is a flag that is part of the guide data stream... that has to be initially set by the content provider (aka the owner of the channel)...

Why I say "initially" set, is there could be a case where that flag setting gets "lost" along the way between the content provider, the clearing house (TMS) and then DirecTV... probably doesn't happen often, but really no way for "us" to tell.... and I would have to say probably 99.9% of the time... it is going to be the content provider's fault for not setting the flag.

Only recommendation's for both cases... email the content provider... write the content provider... even call the content provider...

Tell them to offer all their shows in actuall HD, and tell them to make sure to set their HD flag properly

2. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    Please post here, shows that are in HD, but not listed with the HD icon...

Channel - Show - Airing Time

3. DonCorleone

DonCorleone Icon

Jan 28, 2006
    Thanks for the info, Earl. I know Journeyman was 1, but I see that now it's listed HD in future weeks. I know during search it was happening on STARZ, but I'll check it tonight. In case we're asked, what does TMS stand for?

Also, would the HD games on 730/1 count? They never say HD.

4. rrrick8

rrrick8 Hall Of Fame

Mar 20, 2007
    269/Hist HD- Rumrunners, Moonshiners and Bootleggers 9am CDT.

5. Lord Vader

Lord Vader Supreme Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    I did a search for "The Universe," which is on The History Channel. Found 4 episodes on The History Channel's VOD. There is no "HD" icon next to them, but there IS a Dolby Digital 5.1 (DD) icon on them. Interestingly, episodes of The Universe that I found on The History Channel's actual channel DO have the "HD" icon.

So, I'm wondering if the VOD ones are, in fact, HD, or just SD with DD5.1.

6. Crypter

Crypter Godfather

Jun 21, 2007
    Well it's not just shows....

I know there have been several MOVIES on the premium channels that have been in HD and were missing the HD flag.

7. arxaw

arxaw Icon

Jul 13, 2003
    Tribune Media Services. The company that provides on-screen guide data for D* and some other subscription TV services and the http://zap2it.com online viewing guides.
    http://www.tms.tribune.com/

8. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    Into the Blue was not flagged yesterday on TMCHD, but it was in HD.

9. rrrick8

rrrick8 Hall Of Fame

Mar 20, 2007
    mmmm, JA in HD.
    Definitely MUST SEE TV!

:D

10. Sander

Sander Godfather

Jun 3, 2007
    How it's Made on Science Channel is not listed as HD, but obviously is in HD.

This is the norm on all the new Discovery-HD listings.

11. Wisegoat

Wisegoat Icon

Aug 16, 2006
    Mirrormask on STARZ. A lot of the stuff on the Discovery channels.

Seems like this is the reverse issue from when all of the channels starting adding the HD bug to the SD shows. Give em a week and they should have all of this sorted out.

12. tuff bob

tuff bob Icon

Mar 4, 2007
    Earl: are you looking for all channels?

pretty sure they don't do the HD icon for the ABC7 news on WLS 7-1 (ABC chicago). Not sure about the HD feed from the satellite, since i use the OTA 7-1

13. spidey

spidey Hall Of Fame

Aug 31, 2006
    Monday Night CHuck on NBC was not listed as HD either on local, local OTA or NBC 82/83. It is listed for saturday night and followon mondays as HD so seems like minor issue from content provider. Chuck also had issues on monday night for many that tried a series link.

14. Inches

Inches Godfather

Jan 5, 2005
    What I am concerned about is this show was originally shot in 4:3 and they are streching it out to 16:9. Peoples faces look fat as thry are streched, I'd rather have the side bars like ESPN does during their various HD of SD segments. I don't like the distortion.

This brings up another question: Is there a way I can watch channel 269 in SD??

15. ghostdog

ghostdog AllStar

Jul 6, 2007
    It does appear for those programs that are not HD, the quality is still quite good.
    Do others agree?

16. daz

daz New Member

Dec 5, 2006
    Some of the new channels - yes, HistoryHD, I'm looking at you - are showing badly converted 4:3 stretched programming. Not only is the program stretched by the white flashing encoding lines at the top of the display are showing through which is particularly annoying.

17. Smuuth

Smuuth Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2005
    If you really mean 269 (History Channel) then yes, just do channel up. (Make sure it is included in your custom channel list.)

If you meant to type 267 (Smithsonian channel) then no, it is not available in SD.

18. Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    Survivorman on The Science Channel last night... not sure what time it was on...

19. Griff

Griff Legend

Sep 24, 2006
    We signed up for Starz after the big HD turn-up yesterday. Scanning forward through the guide showed a number of shows on the Starz HD stations that did not have the HD symbol. Notably Zodiac, Pirates of the Caribbean, Da Vinci Code and others. I can't believe those would not be HD.

20. borghe

borghe Legend

Oct 6, 2006
    you are correct in not believing that. I doubt there is a single movie on any HD premium channel that was released after the parent channel went to hd that is not in shown in HD.

umm.. if that makes any sense... hmm..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.