Why no independent (non-major network) stations and sub-channels on streamers?

Discussion in 'Internet Streaming Services' started by 1948GG, Jan 20, 2020.

1. 1948GG

1948GG Icon

Aug 4, 2007
    For years, the dbs folks never bothered to carry the independent ota station, or indeed any of the sub-channels of any stations. The answer has always been lack of bandwidth through the satellites.

But why haven't any of the streamers carried them? The cost vrs the network channels has to be minimal if not zero; a couple of services carry a station or two, and YouTube tv has pbs and one wonders how much they're paying, if anything beyond what it costs to grab the signal off the air and feed it to their transmission system.

Just a thought. Cable of course and now Locast carries these channels, with or without dvr.

2. techguy88

techguy88 Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2015
    The only thing I can think of is money. Streamers are most likely concerned with the major networks at the moment. However Court TV and Dabl stream live from their website. Comet also streams live from its website and is also available on Roku, Apple TV, Amazon/Android (through the Stirr app)

3. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Name the station. If it is a full power station DBS has no choice but to find the bandwidth to carry the primary feed (not all subchannels). If it is a low power station the rules do not require carriage. Knowing the station would help in determining why the station is not carried.

B. Shoe likes this.
  4. espaeth

espaeth AllStar

Oct 13, 2003
    The networks themselves need to supply an IP-based source feed with all of the appropriate SMPTE time codes for commercial breaks and appropriate broadcast restrictions.

Also, streaming requires a completely separate license for the content, which is why things like Rudolf were blocked out from CBS streaming over Christmas, and channels like Turner Classic Movies have half of what they air blacked out on streaming services. Networks that have long duration cheap licensing to air certain content would have to pay market streaming rates to distribute that some content over the Internet.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  5. 1948GG

1948GG Icon

Aug 4, 2007
    Define 'low power'; network affiliate stations in both the markets close to me, that when were analog averaged 2-4MW and are now well under 50KW, the same levels as the independents. So the power level arguments from years past are out the window, and need to be more reasonably defined. But don't hold your breath with the current leadership at the fcc.

FCC rules currently states digital transmitters under 15KW as 'low power' and the only stations in either of those two dma's fitting this are translators several miles from the major cities. Stations such as MEtv, CW (o&o by cbs), Tribune, H & I, Ion-TV, and several spanish and shopping channels, not to mention additional channels that are owned and operated by major network affiliates, like the nbc and fox stations, many with transmitting power well above that of 'large network' stations, i.e. >100KW. None of these channels have ever been carried by either DirecTV or Dish, or have only been so very recently (H & I kvos was added to DirecTV some 5 years ago after being on the air several decades previously) in either the Seattle or Portland, OR dma's.

So, this definition and 'rules' have been superceded long ago by reality.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  6. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Name the station (as requested) and I'll look up the license. The FCC defines low power. There are too many variables to agree or disagree with your non-responsive comments. But it should be noted that the FCC coverage map comparing the old analog coverage and the new digital coverage area were intended to be close - with limited loss or gain in the number of people considered covered by the coverage area.

7. techguy88

techguy88 Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2015
    I help you out. I give you WOCW.

8. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Wikipedia says: "WOCW-LD, virtual channel 21, is a low-powered Court TV-affiliated television station licensed to Charleston, West Virginia, United States."

WJOS-LD, WTZP-LD and WHJC-LP are other low power TV stations in the market. There is also W32FD-D (seen as channel 25) as a low power translator for PBS.