1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why not full HD locals?

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by RVRambler, Jul 13, 2009.

1. RVRambler

RVRambler Legend

Dec 5, 2004
    Is there some technical reason that D* does not have full HD in local markets (Portland, Or for instance - no CW or PBS in HD, just the usual 4)? (or is their website not up to date?)

DTV has full HD in all the 'typical' local channels (ABC,CBS,Fox, NBC, CW, PBS) so it is certainly possible.

Also, why not full HD in the Turbo HD packages (or full channels for that matter), a bit strange marketing if not some technical reason (such as spot beam limitations)

PS: I assume HD is mpeg4, true? If so then with its inherent smaller use of BW, some other reason??

I am likely to switch to Dish when DTV contract over, so would like to NOT make a HD step backward, especially locals!!

Thanks for any real info (no Harry Potter please)!

2. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    Retrans agreements, uplink capacity and infrastructure, downlink capacity, etc etc etc

3. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    BTW -
    Echostar = E*
    DirectTV= D*
    DTV = Digital Television ~ ATSC OTA

4. RVRambler

RVRambler Legend

Dec 5, 2004
    Surely all those CWs and PBS WANT to be carried in HD, and as I said, DTV has them?

Does dish still hardball these agreements, I do see dish in skirmishes that you just never see with DTV?

I actually wonder if the spot beam capacity is not there, or the spot beams are too large and thus not as usable as could be?

Strange though, when they claim most HD locals of anyone, just they are not complete as DTV (and I assume cable)!! A slight misrepresentation to me, but marketing is king, or should I say BS is king!!

Just really expected better from Dish, that's all! :(

5. nmetro

nmetro Godfather

Jul 11, 2006
    As noted above; it may be more a capacity issues, with retransmission agreements thrown in. Also, in most markets the spot beams fro every DMA is fro 5 HD channels; some have six (New York, Chicago, Denver, Los Angeles). Also, in the case of Denver, they have Denver, Grand Junction and Cheyenne HD on the spot beam. But, for Colorado Spirngs, they are alone on their spot beam occupying only four slots for the particular spotbeam.

The following link:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-uplink-center/

Lists all the allocations by spot beam and satellite. This may answer your question.

6. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    It's all about lack of capacity @ the HD level. It's not just a locals issue either. My RSN's are only HD during live games and some games are not carried in HD. It's not the RSN's fault, since at least one of them are in HD 24/7 (Sports Time Ohio) on cable and D*.

7. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Why HD at all?

Despite all the threads on it, I still don't understand the obsession. In fact, I'm rapidly becoming opposed to it (no longer just neutral). It's like everybody running around with iPods and texting on cell phones, then falling into open manholes like something out of the Three Stooges.

8. BillJ

BillJ Icon

May 5, 2005
    Some markets have gotten CW in HD in the past year. If your market has transponder space it may happen eventually.

9. BarryG

BarryG Legend

Jun 25, 2006
    That's how I felt until I bought an HD set.

10. koji68

koji68 Icon

Jun 21, 2004
    !rolling :rolling: :lol::lol:

Good one!

11. snowcat

snowcat Legend

May 29, 2007
    I am under the impression that Dish (and DirecTv) will have to provide all the local HD channels in a market in a few years. I think it is 15% by Feb. 2010, 30% in 2011, 60% in 2012, and 100% in 2013.

I have heard it called the "carry one, carry all" requirement.

12. commodore_dude

commodore_dude AllStar

Aug 25, 2008
    Only a valid question if the only thing you're watching is Oprah.

13. butters

butters AllStar

Sep 25, 2007
    I do agree that HD is hyped quite a bit and many folks don't really give a rip about it. (ask my Mom if HD is worth it) There is a bit of an obsession out there for sure. However, HD picture quality is miles above SD (IMHO) and is the wave of the future. It is getting hard to purchase a non HD TV set anymore and HD is definitely on the grow and here to stay.

14. kucharsk

kucharsk Godfather

Sep 19, 2006
    My Mother-In-Law didn't think HD was that big a deal until she got her channels in HD and now complains how fuzzy and blurry her SD channels look. :D

She's in her 70s.

15. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    $$$$

Its all about the money, companies wanting to get paid by sats to transmit their channels... And how they all negotiate agreements...

16. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Or even better...

Echostar = Dishnetwork (since Echostar is a company that only builds hardware now)
    DirectTV= DirecTV
    DTV = Digital Television ~ ATSC OTA

And not use abbreviations with one letter and *

17. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    Are you also opposed to kids being on your lawn?

18. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009

Well, yeah actually, since they would have no legitimate reason to be there, it would be trespassing. But it won't be an issue since there are no kids within a quarter of a mile or so and the closest ones have their own lawn of several acres.

19. CeeWoo

CeeWoo Godfather

Dec 1, 2008
    I agree with Barry. I though I had a darn good picture---until my TV went out and I bought a HDTV (price was about the same as the analog set I was looking at). IMO, HD really is as amazing as they advertise

20. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    I like'd talking to an operator when I picked up my crank phone and enjoyed listening to my Grammaphone.:sure: