Why so many infomercial channels...

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by meldar_b, Apr 9, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Apr 9, 2009 #1 of 18
    meldar_b

meldar_b Mentor

May 16, 2006
    Why so many infomercial channels...:icon_lame :box: :( :flaiming :soapbox: :beatdeadhorse:

Don't get me wrong I love having D* but they have too many infomercial channels.

They are too many channels out there D* can add why those crappy infomercial channels.

I'm sure that D* knows that we all block these channels using our favorite list. Those infomercial channels must be paying some really big bucks in order to put that crap on the air like that.

As listed in another thread How about adding some Canadian channels. I would love to see "MUCHMUSIC" and "SPACE" added to the D* lineup :icon_bb::bowdown::jumpingja:dance01::icon_da: :goodjob: :joy:

2. Apr 9, 2009 #2 of 18
    veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    since they pay DirecTV and not the other way around like "the channels we want to watch", it becomes a "no brainer".

3. Apr 9, 2009 #3 of 18
    Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    VOS nailed it. These channels help keep our costs down.

I don't have a problem with you all discussing dislike for infomercial channels... but please don't turn it into a discussion of what other channels you'd like to have instead. Otherwise, I'll have to close this one and defer you to the More HD in 2009 thread.

4. Apr 9, 2009 #4 of 18
    BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt

Nov 3, 2006
    I have insomnia, sometimes I don't sleep for two to three nights in a row, so I watch a lot of tv late/early at night. I am amazed that with incredable number of channels that D* offers that there is so little to watch at two in the morning. It's all "paid programming". Thankfully I record alot of shows during the day just for that reason.

5. Apr 9, 2009 #5 of 18
    adamwilson

adamwilson New Member

Apr 9, 2009
    the more the channels, the more u u swap!

6. Apr 9, 2009 #6 of 18
    LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Many, Many cable channels switch to paid programming after a certain time in the evening and in those cases, like with the SciFi Channel between 6am and 8am, they run paid programming that has nothing to do with DirecTV... but you are right, watching TV in the middle of the wee hours can be fairly frustrating.

7. Apr 9, 2009 #7 of 18
    spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Has it been one month already?

8. Apr 9, 2009 #8 of 18
    dorfd1

dorfd1 Icon

Jul 15, 2008
    removed because people don't look!

the goodnews is we will have 10+ hd informercial channels soon. that will only be good for the people who want a free alternative to playboy tv.

9. Apr 9, 2009 #9 of 18
    BubblePuppy

Nov 3, 2006
    Refer to the thread that Greg mentioned.

10. dorfd1

dorfd1 Icon

Jul 15, 2008
    I edited my post

11. BubblePuppy

Nov 3, 2006
    Well, let D* add more info channels and lower our monthly rate, instead of increasing our monthly costs, like they did recently.:sure:

12. tftc22

tftc22 Godfather

Mar 29, 2007
    That's much more exaggerated on the west coast. Since west coast viewers get the east coast feeds on satellite, a channel that goes to infomercials at 4am Eastern goes to infomercials at only 1am Pacific.

It's annoying, but it makes Directv money. Also, many of the infomercial channels don't take up any extra bandwidth at all because they are sharing bandwidth with RSN alternate channels.

There are lots of legal issues with that. A lot of Canadian channels haven't cleared the rights to show their programming in the U.S. For example, Space shows a lot of American shows that would have to be blacked out because other channels have U.S. rights to the shows (such as Fringe, Chuck, and Ghost Hunters).

13. dorfd1

dorfd1 Icon

Jul 15, 2008
    how is it sharing bandwidth with channels that are partime hd?

14. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
  15. tftc22

tftc22 Godfather

Mar 29, 2007
    They aren't sharing bandwidth with HD channels. They're sharing bandwidth with part-time SD channels. For example, FSN Kansas City (SD) and FSN Indiana (SD) only show games (usually in the evening) and that bandwidth can be used late at night for infomercials (usually after 11 pm or midnight Eastern).

16. sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork Icon

Aug 21, 2008
    I thought this is why D* gave us "favorites" to program on our remotes? I just eliminate all these channels so I don't waste my time scanning through them. Doesn't seem like a huge deal to me...

17. BubblePuppy

Nov 3, 2006
    The problem is that so many of our favorite channels (during the day) become horrid infommercial/paid programming channels at night...ala Dr.Jekyll and Mr.Hyde.

18. TXD16

TXD16 Icon

Oct 29, 2008
    Do people really watch live TV anymore? Hmm, would never have imagined.