1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why so many receivers?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Hornnumb2, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Nov 3, 2008 #1 of 91
    Hornnumb2

Hornnumb2 Legend

Oct 4, 2006
    What is the purpose of coming out with some many different boxes, just stick to one of each level and make that one work!

2. Nov 3, 2008 #2 of 91
    MarkN

MarkN Legend

Jul 13, 2007
    seems as soon as you get a "new" box its outdated within a couple of months.......

3. Nov 3, 2008 #3 of 91
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I understand your frustration. The very first HD DVR, HR20-700, was very expensive to produce and had high heat output. Despite that, there are thousands in the field that work fine. Subsequent revisions — and that's what they are, revisions — increased reliability and lowered cost.

In the meantime, from the first HD DVR to the latest, the designs have been sound. Are there bum units out there? Sure. That's true of everything. They are a minority.

In the meantime the software continues to evolve.

Hornnumb2, why don't you tell us about your situation, why you think there are problems with these boxes, and maybe we can help.

4. Nov 3, 2008 #4 of 91
    David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    also, the move from ALL (only) SD to HD mix defines a need for this evolution. at some point I would expect less of a mix, but it kind of has to be this way right now.

5. Nov 3, 2008 #5 of 91
    azarby

azarby Hall Of Fame

Dec 15, 2006
    It's for the same reason, there are so many cell phones, PCs, Cameras, cars, etc. It's all about added features and cost reduction.

Bob

6. Nov 3, 2008 #6 of 91
    LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    Overall cost reduction (as measured not only in unit cost, but also field reliability, customer satisfaction, etc) is probably the single biggest reason. Having several manufacturers helps ensure competitive pricing for Directv with each supplier, and avoids being held "hostage" to a sole-source manufacturer on pricing or availability, and periodic "refreshes" (be they to decrease part-count, increase recording capacity or eliminate problematic parts like BBCs) are a necessary fact of life in electronics.

7. Nov 3, 2008 #7 of 91
    russdog

russdog Godfather

Jul 31, 2006
    How's your Model-T Ford holding up? ;-)

Personally, I agree 100% with those who think D* has a lousy R&D and QA operation. Despite all the excuses people make, there really is no excuse for the many glitches they pass on to customers. It looks to me like some folks here really like being part of DirecTV's program of "Let's use customer volunteers instead of building a proper R&D and QA operation", so they defend it, but IMO it's not really defensible. (As I type that, my TV just said "Brrrp" again.)

However, that's not the same thing as locking in a piece of HW. It's hard to argue that they shouldn't make HW improvements as they are able to, such as streamlined internal components and using bigger hard disks. Why should they keep shipping 320GB HDD's when the cost of 500GB's fall? Far better to make the boxes more efficiently, with fewer parts and greater capacity. I don't see how you can really argue with that.

8. Nov 3, 2008 #8 of 91
    50+

50+ Legend

May 1, 2008
    I'm all for newer and better hardware. I have the HR22 with the bigger hard drive it words great. If Costco has the HR 23 I'm gonna buy 2 and send my Hr 21's back to D*.

9. Nov 3, 2008 #9 of 91
    Hornnumb2

Hornnumb2 Legend

Oct 4, 2006
    Well I have a HR20-100 and I get no response to the remote about once a month, I turn my setup on and get a black screen and have to switch res. to get a picture back, I also get some black recordings....I am not blaming everything on the box but it just gets frustrating when you sit down to watch something and have to restart it or something else to get it to work....Michael

10. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    I wonder if you're having problems with bad power, or perhaps bad signal strengths. Do you have your DVR on a surge protector? Have you checked your signal strengths to see if they are in the 80s and 90s for all satellites? Given that you're in Texas and I'd imagine your dish points close to straight up, you shouldn't have line of sight problems.

It's perfectly ok to say hey, you've got a problem DVR, maybe it should be replaced. The odds are overwhelming that if you've got nice clean power, and if your wiring is good and your signal strengths are good, you should be able to have a very reliable experince.

11. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    So are you suggesting that DIRECTV getting feedback from real-world customers is a bad thing?

12. Hornnumb2

Hornnumb2 Legend

Oct 4, 2006
    I dont want to get in the tivo versus Hr thing but I am just using it as a reference(I know its not the same signal) Both of them are in the same room hooked up to a back up supply, same switch etc. I went with this box to get my HD locals, I was getting some pixelization with my over the air antenna and thought this box was the answer. I dont mind having to RBR every now and then but the part that bothers me most is the lipsync problem. I on my hd locals from D and after FF thru commercial I have pause it for a few seconds to fix the problem...I did check my signals the other day but Is there a certain sat number I should check? Thanks Michael

13. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    You should have no less than 80 on anything on either tuner on the 101, 103(c) and 99(c) satellites. You may see some variance in the 99(s), 103(s), 110, and 119 satellites due to those satellites being used to deliver programming to other parts of the country.

Some people will say 85+, some will say 90+. It depends on how much rain and/or snow you get. I live in Southern California and have great results with a few transponders in the mid 70s, but if I got the sort of weather that most people get, that would be a problem.

14. Rob77

Rob77 Godfather

Sep 24, 2007

Not at all...I think what he is saying is that there should be direct involvement from Directv in their beta testing. I am currently testing Windows 7 and talk DIRECTLY to Microsoft in a two way conversation. Have been doing beta testing for 10 years and this is the only one where there is no "direct" two way corporate involvement.

I think this puts Mods in a very unique situation where they are in reality representing the company. Why don't the D* engineers talk directly to the people doing the testing like other companies do?

It puts Mod's in a very unique situation from both an ethical and a legal standpoint

15. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    I see no ethical or legal quandary. I see the Cutting Edge program as unique in its ability to be both public and private. The rapid-development model it allows is the future of consumer electronics in my opinion.

I do thank you for your concern for my welfare however.

16. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    It is all about how they interpret the data and what, if any, actions they take to address the discovered issues.

Real-world data can represent a significant overload and the skill level of the average "tester" isn't particularly high relative to a typical QA technician. It is nice to have the additional perspective, but you can lean on it too much.

Certainly the CE program has struck a chord with the tinkers and leading edge hemophiliacs, but in the end, the general populace just wants it to work.

17. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    we're more of a end user acceptance testing setup. I have no proof, but I would expect d* to have actual beta testers dealing direct with engineers before release to the UAT people.

18. azarby

azarby Hall Of Fame

Dec 15, 2006
    Well, If you have been here for any length of time, you would know that there can be some very vindictive and antgonistic users out there. If DTV engineers were here in person, they would have a hard time getting anything accomplished because of the DTV bashing that goes on.

By the way, DTV does paricipate, just that you don't know who they are.

The current set up works, lets leave it be.

Bob

19. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    The people here are basically the only folks who are aware of the differnt models of HD receivers. If you call D* they only have one model of an HD DVR, aside from the Pro.

20. russdog

russdog Godfather

Jul 31, 2006
    Oh, no, not at all. I think it's a fine thing to have good, informative relations with the customer base.
    However, doing that is *not* a sufficient replacement for having a decent R&D and QA operation, which they clearly do not have.
    The kind of operation they appear to run in concert with volunteers here would be a very good adjunct to a proper program, but it is a very poor substitute.

I am not a D* basher, and I mostly enjoy their service. But that doesn't mean I have my head in the sand. Whoever runs their R&D show is either incompetent, ignorant of proper procedures, and/or has no budget. Or, maybe it's some combination of those. I have no way to know which it is. But the results speak for themselves, and there is no excuse for it. Many companies produce very complex products without the kind of QA failings that are pretty much SOP for D*. Either they don't have the proper engineering expertise or, if they do, they don't permit their people who have that expertise to do their jobs properly.