Why the ticker on MLB EI?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by the2130, May 27, 2015.

1. the2130

the2130 Active Member

Dec 17, 2014
    Anyone know why EI has the scrolling ticker at the bottom of the screen and MLB.TV doesn't? It's not only annoying, it blocks out part of the video.

2. trainman

trainman Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2008
    Sherman...
    The MLB Extra Innings feeds are taken from the actual game broadcasts seen on the regional sports networks. It's the regional sports networks that are adding the tickers.

The MLB.TV feeds come from the satellite uplinks from the various stadiums, at a point before the tickers are added to the actual game broadcasts.

3. matty8199

matty8199 Icon

Dec 4, 2005
    are you sure about this? i could have sworn i have seen mlb.tv games with the tickers included as well...

4. Yakuman

Yakuman New Member

Sep 12, 2009
    Polvos...
    Spring training games on mlb.tv use the RSN feed. Also it appears when there are problems with the satellite feed from the stadium.

5. lokar

lokar Icon

Oct 7, 2006
    That is awesome, wish the NHL would do that. Those tickers drive me nuts, they are completely unnecessary in this day and age. MLB really does have everyone beat when it comes to out of market packages, except of course for their idiotic blackout policies.

6. the2130

the2130 Active Member

Dec 17, 2014
    It's not awesome if you're watching the games on EI instead of MLB.TV. Almost every game has a scrolling ticker blocking the bottom of the screen. I've never understood the idea of putting something on the screen that most people don't like.

7. FLWingNut

FLWingNut Godfather

Nov 19, 2005
    It's a chance for them to "remind" you of other programming, and perhaps sell a sponsorship. I hate the damn things. MLB Network is horrible with their bugs covering up stats graphics from the game that's actually on. NHL Network is awful too. Please dump these stupid things.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

8. milton

milton Cool Member

Mar 12, 2011
    The league's networks don't bother me as much as the FSN feeds. People tune into FSN feed to see their local team and don't care as much about out-of-town scores. Do the every 15 minute crawl.

That being said, NHL Network bothers me more than MLB Network because in EI, you at least get the feeds of the teams in addition to the MLB Network feed.

9. Yakuman

Yakuman New Member

Sep 12, 2009
    Polvos...
    Those on-screen tickers are like legacy SD channels. I ask whether these things are still necessary. The MLB.TV is noticably more watchable. What makes it worse is when you watch something on the DVR and see scores from months ago.

Even the dinosaurs who refuse to use computers and smartphones can still do things like red button ScoreGuide.

10. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The RSNs used for EI are the same feeds used by local cable systems that do not have features such as ScoreGuide.

If the RSN feels that their local viewers are served by the tickers they will continue to add them.

11. lokar

lokar Icon

Oct 7, 2006
    I think that's the real reason they are on. Eventually all games will shrink to half the screen and ads and promos will be taking up the other half. The greed is just overwhelming when you consider how many commercials are already in the game that they still feel the need to do this.

12. the2130

the2130 Active Member

Dec 17, 2014
    Almost all of the tickers are on the Fox RSNs. I went through all of the EI channels the other day and found that the Dodger feed was the only non-Fox RSN that had a ticker.

13. Yakuman

Yakuman New Member

Sep 12, 2009
    Polvos...
    'The real greed is forcing millions of people to pay $5+ every month for premium sports channels they rarely or never watch. MLB and other leagues want to fix their salary problems by foisting the cost onto pay-TV subscribers.

14. milton

milton Cool Member

Mar 12, 2011
    This is one reason that the dual feeds are a great option on Directv. I almost always choose a non-FOX feed when I have the choice due to the ticker.

15. milton

milton Cool Member

Mar 12, 2011
    It actually goes the other way mostly. People are willing to pay money for cable television, which drives up the salaries of players. As more people cut the cord, the amount paid by networks for the cable rights and thereby the amount the teams have to spend pushes up the bidding war for player salaries.

16. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    NESN has a ticker that runs frequently during Red Sox/Bruins games and virtually all the time otherwise. I agree with the post about NHL Network. They slightly stretch the picture. The ticker that used to be on NBA TV was truly the most gaudy, obnoxious, distracting of them all. Stuff everywhere sliding in different directions. Their newer one is still obnoxious, but slightly less so than the old one.