1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by jodyguercio, Oct 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jodyguercio

jodyguercio Active Member

Aug 16, 2007
    For those that live in SOCAL the windy season is upon us. Really bad in Norco today and both my receivers are pixeling really bad. Its blowing hard enough that parked cars are moving. What I want to know is why we cant even watch a show we have TIVOd from earlier in the week without the box freezing up? it's on the hdd not coming live from the feed so I dont get it

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    What brand/model DVR do you have?

3. Wisegoat

Wisegoat Icon

Aug 16, 2006
    Haven't had a single issue in Newport Beach. Wind speeds have been above 25 mph here by the airport (John Wayne). OTA, MPEG4, MPEG2 all look good.

4. w6fxj

w6fxj DBSTalk Club Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Jody - Your dish may not be firmly mounted. I am in the Mojave Desert and regularly have winds to 50 - 60 MPH. No problem because my dish has two optional braces installed to provide a very stable dish in high winds. SolidSignal has these available if you need to add them. - Bill

5. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    jody, what sort of dish do you have? If it's a "Sidecar" or "Slimline" did they remember to attach the monopoles (little struts)?

6. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    That doesn't answer the question of why recordings are freezing. Probably a failing hard drive.

7. jodyguercio

jodyguercio Active Member

Aug 16, 2007
    Its an HR10-250. There were some stray branches in the way and I trimmed them way back and no problems.

8. Captaintrips420

Captaintrips420 Cool Member

Sep 1, 2007
    im in san jose and when its blowing really hard i will get random pixelation, but overall i have been somewhat impressed. unfortunately the installers cannot apparent mount the supports in a position that would provide lateral support, so they only provide support against the weight. (i had to go through two seperate installs to get one that worked, and the second only worked after i went to the exaust shop to get a pipe bent for them to mount it with)

i have the hr20 dvr and have had no problems watching live or recorded things during the heavy winds.

9. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    Is it possible that some other event (wind/rain) happened while the program was recording and the current wind is unrelated to the pixelization of the recording?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.