Wi-Fi 6 is happening including with 5G service

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by phrelin, Jan 12, 2020 at 12:31 AM.

1. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    According to The Verge Wi-Fi 6 is finally here:

...Each device demands some of your router’s time and bandwidth, and that’s increasingly become a problem — the more devices you have, the more your router’s capacity is spread thin. If this continues, speeds could slow to a drag.

That’s the problem Wi-Fi 6 is meant to solve by making data delivery more efficient to ultimately offer faster speeds, and at CES this year, the new Wi-Fi standard finally felt like a reality. Wi-Fi 6 routers and devices were plentiful on the show floor....

We also started to see Wi-Fi 6 get married to 5G, using the speedier Wi-Fi standard to deliver the speedier wireless connection throughout your home. This is dependent on 5G proving itself out as a viable home internet offering, when it comes to both price and reliability. Thus far, that hasn’t happened...​

The problem is, of course, none of the six Amazon Alexa products, Roku and Amazon Fire TV products, cell phones, or computers in my house have Wi-Fi 6 or 5G capabilities. I'm not sure I'll live long enough to have replaced all these things. But it sounds interesting.

Rich likes this.
  2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    One quick question: is "5G" acronym means 5 GHz range or it's "5th Generation" of cellular technology here ?

3. Blueflash

Blueflash New Member

Jan 16, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2020 at 1:52 PM
  4. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    5G is the fifth generation wireless technology for cellular networks. For more well beyond my expertise see Wikipedia.

5. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I know what it's per se; it was unclear what that means from first post.

6. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Seems to me the new "WiFi 6" is just new gimmick for sell new models with future but not approved by FCC 6 GHz range...

7. AZ.

AZ. Legend

Mar 27, 2011
    I will assume it will be backwards compatible like most routers...so no worries with older equipment.

8. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    It is. Depend by manufactured devices. If they will have support 5 GHz and 2.4 GHz ranges.

9. Blueflash

Blueflash New Member

Jan 16, 2009
  10. AZ.

AZ. Legend

Mar 27, 2011
    Ever since before DOCSIS 2.0 its been backwards compatible, it would be idiotic that it wouldnt keep that standard!

11. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
  12. Blueflash

Blueflash New Member

Jan 16, 2009
    We can on forever.... IEEE 802.11 - Wikipedia
    But the point is wifi6(ax) is coming and manufacturers are try to marry 5g cellular with wifi6(Across 2.4ghz,5ghz,6ghz)
    But yeah they are looking at 60ghz for inside "WiFi" a definite change in thinking from traditional WiFi using mmwave technology

13. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    As I said I'm not sure I'll live long enough to have replaced all my devices to the new standard. But it sounds interesting even if confusing. Given that in many parts of the United States (my part, for instance) it's a struggle to find a 4G cell signal, I'm not expecting access to 5G soon.