1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wi-Fi printer questions?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by Mike Bertelson, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    I’m looking for a new printer with print/copy/scan and want to go wireless. However, I’ve read varying accounts about print speed issues across a wireless network.

This printer will be in the same room and no more than five feet from the access point. I would have assumed being this close I would have zero problems with speed but you never know.

Anyone have any experience with Wi-Fi printers?

Has anyone actually used the LCD screen on a photo printer to crop/touchup photos for printing? It seems to me that it would be really awkward so I’m considering skipping the added cost.

Any recommendations?

TIA

Mike

2. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I have an Epson Workforce 520 with which I am very satisfied. I also have it about two feet from the access point and am really only using wi-fi so as not to take up a port on the router.

It's fast, quiet and warms up quickly. Photo quality is acceptable, for the very few photos I print. Black quality is excellent.

This was a ~$60 printer and has no on-screen touchup. I had a fancy HP Photosmart and never used the on-printer controls.

3. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    My approach for the search would be to gain a reasonable list of candidates...determine cartridge costs for each...and work back from that point.

Assuming a number of them provide very similar capabilities..the costs of the cartridges will have the most substantial impact to you in the long term.

4. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    I should mention that the Workforce 520 seems to have excellent cost per print based on experience. The cartridges are small, about the size of a credit card and about 5/16" thick, so there's less tendency to dry out.

5. machavez00

machavez00 Hall Of Fame

Nov 2, 2006
    Phoenix,...
    I have a Kodak 5250. The only thing it doesn't do is fax. Cartridge combo packs can be bought for 20-25. The XL black cartridge is a little more.

6. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    In passing, if for any reason you want to be able to print wirelessly using an Apple iPhone, iPod, or iPad using AirPrint you are limited to about a dozen HP printer models (see them all here on sale at HP).

These printers also permit you to print from a distant location via the HP ePrint feature which is a kind of clever email system.

We have a C510a which works great. On the other hand, the cost per print is a potentially serious negative factor if this is to be your primary printer. We have two other printers on our network, an old HP non-color laserjet and a Dell color laser printer.

7. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    I have a brother hl-2170w and it's fantastic. Love it.

8. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    If it's that close, why not go wired?

I could see wireless if it was in another room with no network cable, or out in the middle of a room.

9. Mike Bertelson

Jan 24, 2007
    There will be a time when it will move away from the location so wired is less of an option. AAMOF, I have an Ethernet printer now but I want to cut the wire.

Mike

10. Mike Bertelson

Jan 24, 2007
    Anyone have any Wi-Fi printing issues?

Mike

11. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    I've installed a Netgear wireless print server (can handle two usb printers) for a friend. Other than requiring the CD to set up the print server if you change anything (I haven't found a manual way), it works fine and doesn't impact printing speed.

He has had two HP printers with the front panel LCD - the latest is a removable tablet, but he never uses them. Pretty much a gimmick add-on cost.

12. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    My wife has the Wifi laptops, and she has no issues printing to out ethernet connected network priinter. I've also setup an HP all in one for some relatives, and once that was talking to the network ok - no printing issues there either. Just follow the standard Wifi connection procedures for network connectivity and you'll be fine.

13. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    I understand the desire to print by iPhone and would like to point out that there are 3rd party apps that allow this for several models. There's no reason to favor HP there.

14. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I have a Canon 640, seems to work fine over wifi, though it's a pain to put in the key when it needs it.

Other than that, the big issue I had was with the ink. I got a message I was running out of Magenta, which I found odd, but got a new one. The other levels seemed fine. Installed Magenta then it said out of Cyan. Then said I was out of page black. I think from now on I might get multiples at the same time...

15. BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt

Nov 3, 2006
    I have a HP D110 All In One wireless printer. It has a print by email feature that allows you to send documents to it from any device that can send email. On setup a email address will be assigned to that printer. It is a very nice feature that has come in handy.
    The printer will not do fax, but then I don't have a land line anyway, so no biggie. Also there is HP mobile app that allows printing from a mobile device that is wifi connected to the printer or to the router..
    I believe the cost for the printer was around $75..it was a Christmas gift so I don't know the exact cost.
    I print via wifi all the time, very quick, the printer is located in another room from the laptop, and from my phone ( which I print from frequently).

16. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    Mike I use a Lexmark WIFI printer that is in my home office in the basement and the family has access to it from anywhere in the house, I don't seem to have any issues at all with the laptop on the second floor all the way to the basement.

As for quality it's an ok printer/copier/scan/fax, it does make nice photos. We do a very low volume of printing and most of our photos we do at Walgreens.

17. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    I have this printer as well. Very nice for very little costs.

The 7250, looks like you can print directly from iPhone/pad and blackberry. $99 at Best Buy right now. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Kodak+-...nter/9844743.p?id=1218182757109&skuId=9844743

18. HDJulie

HDJulie Icon DBSTalk Club

Aug 10, 2008
    I have one of the HP ePrinters. I think mine is the C310. We got it right before the iOS update that allowed the iPad & iPhone to print to them wirelessly so we tried the email feature & that was pretty cool other than the long, weird email name it gives itself. The wireless printing from the iPhone is also cool. And we have had no issues at all printing from our PC's over the wireless network. I like the large LCD screen but I have not used it at all. My sister has the next step down model & she used one of the apps on the printer & liked it.

19. Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy Hall Of Fame

Apr 8, 2009
    HP's suck. Wired or wireless.
    Get a Brother.

20. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    After owning over 10 HP's and 2 Brother printers....I've found the opposite over many years and countless thousands of hours of use - including work-related volumes (that went beyond the typicaly user).