1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Widgets: The Next Step

Discussion in 'DIRECTV - Widgets (private)' started by Doug Brott, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I know you've all grown weary of waiting .. well, the waiting is over :)

It's time to start the next phase of the process. As a reminder, there is only a small group of people that are currently invited to use Widgets. It is unknown if there will be any additions to this pilot group, but at this time I do not know of any planned additions. So, be prepared to put your skills to the test cause it's Widget Time :)

IMPORTANT NOTE: This is a Private CE at this time. Do not share the keywords or trial information outside of this forum until further notice

2. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Required version: 0x278 or higher

You need to do TWO keyword searches to enabled Widgets:

1) Keyword Search: POKEEYENOW

This enabled the core subset that is needed.

2) Keyword Search: WEDGIES

This will enable the Widgets

To turn off Widgets by KEYWORD search: NOWEDGIES

You should have POKEEYNOW turned on already ;) ..

3. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    The widget website is where you will go to do multiple things:

• Setup which widgets are which of your DVRs
    • Organize your widgets in the order you want them to appear
    • Download the SDK to create your own widgets (more on this later)
    • Publish your widgets so others can use them

The URL: http://widgets.directv.com
    (okay, you can now take the "duh" hand off your forehead)

Login: The DIRECTV.com user name that you provided
    PW: Your DirecTV.com password

You will then be provided with the license agreement, please do read it.
    DIRECTV wants to know if there is anything incorrect or unclear.

If you want to continue at this point, click on Accept.

You are now into the widgets website.

For the Website, it is recommended to either use Firefox 3 or IE7.
    Earlier versions of those two browsers have some issues with the site.

Safari and Chrome have not been regularly used on the site, so please
    try it out and lets us know.

4. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    After you are logged in, it should be pretty straightforward on how you add existing widgets to your units.

You can re-arrange them to display in a different order.

Please provide feedback on the intuitiveness of this area. DIRECTV wants to gauge how much documentation, or changes that should be made to the site.

5. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    There are two ways you can create your own widgets: DirecTV SDK or your own programming

The SDK (Software Development Kit):

Some notes about the SDK version:

-) The SDK currently is ONLY for the windows platform, in the future DIRECTV
    plans to expand it to support MAC.

-) When you create a widget via the SDK, YOUR computer/ISP is the host for that widget. It would need to be running if you want those widgets exposed to other DirecTV customers.

-) You need a current version of the JAVA runtime, which is downloadable from www.java.com <http://www.java.com/>

-) Download the SDK from http://widgets.directv.com and look under the Create a Widget menu item

Initial configurations

-) You need to first go to the conf/config.properties file. In this file, you need to adjust the first time to have your IP address. When you are developing an testing, you can set this to your local NAT assigned address. But when you are ready to open it up to everyone, this needs to match your exposed IP address.

-) The default port is 5000. If you want to change the port, you can configure that in the server.port property.

To start the SDK:

Execute the BATCH file: bin/startwidgets.bat

This portion of the application, IE is preferred as Firefox has an issue with browsing the local file system.

This will start the SDK. After it starts, you should see the "JAVA guy" in your task bar. You can always access the SDK console via the "JAVA Guy"

At this point: You are on your own with the SDK... as with the website, DIRECTV wants to gauge how intuitive it is to use the SDK, so they can understand the documentation level and changes in the app.

6. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    You are not limited to just the SDK to create widgets. If you so incline, you can build your own widgets, using ANY technology you want.

The only two technical requirements:

-) It accepts a HTTP URL request, that has all the parameters in the URL (you can't use other methods to pass parameters)

-) The output of the call is a: 400x300 PNG

Everything else... is up to you. You can build it in PHP or ASP.NET.
    You can build it with COCOA or anything else. It just needs to run on an HTTP connectable webserver and return an PNG.

This can be hosted on an external ISP, or your home, all up to you...
    and the sky is the limit. The system will support alpha layer, so you can use transparent colors as well.

7. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Once you created your widgets, you need to let DirecTV know about them.

Go back to the http://widgets.directv.com website and back to the Create a Widget area.

This is where you can provide the FULL URL (including the parameters spacing). You also fill in the parameters required.

These parameters are what will be presented to anyone trying to add your widget, and information that is necessary.

And again... this is a point where DIRECTV wants you to work with it as is, and provide feedback. Your feedback will go a long way to creating the FAQ's and other reference documents.

All widgets that are submitted are subject to review by DIRECTV, that is true during the alpha/beta and when the system goes general release.

At this moment, it is going to take a few days (possibly not till next week) until DIRECTV can review any submitted widgets. So don't get discouraged if they are not approved right away.

8. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    And one final note from DIRECTV ...

Happy Wedgies

9. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Folks that made the Group 1 cutoff will have access now. If you did not make the Group 1 cutoff or did not realize that we need to get your DIRECTV.com user name, then you will not have access until sometime next week.

If you have not submitted your DIRECTV.com user name to me, please do so via PM so that you can be set up to use the new Widgets system.

10. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Oh, and before the question gets asked :) .. This weekend's CE should have Widgets just like this past weekend's CE .. so it will be OK to download.

11. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    And, for one last reminder:

IMPORTANT NOTE: This is a Private CE at this time. Do not share the keywords or trial information outside of this forum until further notice

Thank You.

12. mikhu

mikhu Beer Aficionado

Oct 10, 2006
    Wedgies - :lol:

I'm off to do me some keyword searches!

13. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    That's one LOOOOOOOOONG list of terms and conditions! :p

My first question Doug: Are we supposed to only be testing on the one receiver we submitted with our "please pick me" requests oh so long ago, or is it OK to test on multiple receivers? I see the web interface shows all of my DVRS ...

14. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Anyone having troubles loading the SDK? I execute the BAT file Doug listed, get a popup saying it's installing and then that's it.

15. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    A message from the developers:

16. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    You can use any of them.

17. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Says I'm running V1.6.7. I've attached screenshot of as far as I get.

18. MIAMI1683

MIAMI1683 New Member

Jul 11, 2007
    Ok so i gotta ask. i enabled widgets here today. Now should I be able to see the "coming soon dock"

19. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    No love here (posted in our widgets issues thread).

All 3 set up fine, pass network and Internet tests - no widgets to be found at all on any one of the 3 units.

20. MartyS

MartyS New Member

Dec 29, 2006
    I'm in the same boat, HDTVFan...