Widgets: What do we know?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV - Widgets (private)' started by Drew2k, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    So while we have a lull, what do we know about Widgets and prerequisites to use them?

1. The DVR must be networked.
    2. Network services must be enabled. Currently this is available through a keyword hack. Whether it will eventually be made standard or if it will be accessible as a toggle in the Network setup menu is currently unknown.
    3. The user must use upnp or enable port forwarding on their home router.
    4. Widgets won't appear on interactive channels or over MediaShare, DOD, or Active, or if any on-screen graphics (Info Banner, Menu) are present.
    5. Widgets are activated using the RIGHT arrow in Live TV or playback from the Playlist. Display can take 1 to 3 seconds.
    6. Widgets are displayed in a dockbar.
    7. The initial Widget docbar has five icons: Nametag, Horoscopes, Scores, Lottery, and Gears (?).
    8. Pressing RIGHT or SELECT will toggle the Widget dockbar on and off after Widgets are first activated in a session.
    9. Going to a full screen menu like Guide, List, or Setup will "deactivate" Widgets, so they have to be enabled again using RIGHT.
    10. Pressing EXIT in Live TV after using RIGHT will also "deactivate" Widgets, requiring RIGHT to again activate them.
    11. When RIGHT is pressed over Live TV or program playback, the front panel IR indicator doesn't blink to indicate a keystroke was detected.
    12. There's a bug in playback from the playlist that causes the screen to black out when Widgets are activated. Exit and PREV will return the user to the point they were interrupted.
    13. DIRECTV can remotely disable Widgets.
    14. When Widgets are disabled by DIRECTV, there is no message to alert the user to this, so the user may wonder if it's their network or their router.
    15. There will be a SDK for Widgets development. Currently there is no estimate for when the SDK will be introduced.
    What else gang?

2. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    I think you've go it well covered in your list.

I've tried it with and without the upnp setting activated on my router and it works either way - as long as port forwarding is turned on.

One more thing - I can get Widgets working just fine with the settings, but continue to have the "fortunes" not work.....others have also reported this...so there must be something else missing in the fortunes settings making things go amuck.

In any case - nice work on your list.

3. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    Fortunes come and go for me. If I run a system test, they come back.

4. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    That is odd about fortunes versus widgets, as we know fortunes were simply the initial test to verify network services and to pave the way for widgets ...

I wonder if they resolved the issue with hit-or-miss fortunes (ie, network connectivity) but decided to abandon "fixes" to fortunes and moved the resolution directly into widgets?

Anyway, maybe we can use this list and thread to try to build up some FACTS and FAQS for the moderators to paste into a thread whe widgets "go live" ...