WiFi questions

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Swordslayer, Jan 19, 2020.

1. Swordslayer

Swordslayer New Member

Jan 19, 2020
    Cutting the chord at the end of the month. But I don’t have an answers to my WiFi question. Do I need more mbps than I have now ? Are is it better to get rid of the actual cable companies router an buy a better one than the one they give you. Any help would help thanks in advance

2. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    Not enough info .

3. Swordslayer

Swordslayer New Member

Jan 19, 2020
    What do you need

4. B Newt

B Newt Icon

Aug 12, 2007
    We need your wifi speed. You need at least 30 -40 mps to stream shows on your wifi setup.

5. les.warden

les.warden New Member

May 4, 2018
    Assuming you meant mbs, My DL speed is 10mbs max. Usually around ~6-10. Wireless to provider, wireless from shed to house, wired over the power lines inside house to streaming devices. I stream via AppleTV device or Hopper3. I streamed 3 hours last night a 4K ATMOS show with zero problems. Really, I think you need 5mbs or better to stream decent.

6. Swordslayer

Swordslayer New Member

Jan 19, 2020
    My WiFi speed is download 17.2 upload is 11.2. The cable company says our wifi package is 200 MPs. I was wondering what people normally do after they switch from cable

7. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    You would be happier with more effective download speed. Ideally, I'd want my streaming device on ethernet (NOT WiFi), then that 200 Mbps should be OK. Faster would not hurt , however.

8. Swordslayer

Swordslayer New Member

Jan 19, 2020
    Would it be better to try a new better router I buy are get in the higher plant form the cable company offers. They offer a 400 MPs an I tb

9. Swordslayer

Swordslayer New Member

Jan 19, 2020
    Wow I should of proof read the last message. Would it be better to go an buy a new better router are get an higher plan from the cable company they offer a 400 MPs an 1 tb

10. Swordslayer

Swordslayer New Member

Jan 19, 2020
    Scooper. Do they sell streaming devices that you can connect a Ethernet cable to beside your game devices

11. Swordslayer

Swordslayer New Member

Jan 19, 2020
    Just ran another WiFi speed test an it was 56.2 download

12. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    200 is fine but your router WiFi is slow by comparison. But that could be because of where it’s located or because it’s old tech in the router. I always use my own router, never a cable companies personally..

AppleTV has Ethernet, as does some Roku and fire tv cubes..

13. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    Yes Fire TV's (at least some models) have ethernet as well as 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz WiFi.

14. Brad_73

Brad_73 New Member

Jul 16, 2019
    Southeast, GA
    You are incorrect. Maybe you do not realize it but at only 10Mbps you are NOT getting the full quality of that 4K stream (if you are truly getting 4K at all).

Explanation = Just because you selected 4K to stream doesn't mean that is what you are going to get. The service is going to compress the video to fit within whatever bandwidth you have available. When they can't compress it enough, they will drop the resolution to something they can stream to you with available compression. Depending on what device you are using, the settings you have set, and the service being streamed; it may be difficult to tell what resolution you are getting. Note: Just hitting the info button on the TV will tell you nothing if your streaming box is set to a fixed resolution on the output. That will not tell you the incoming resolution of the stream, just that the box is converting it to 4K on the output. Apps built into the TV maybe a different story on the info you get, when you press that info key on the TV remote.
    Either way - 10Mbps is NOT enough bandwidth to do good 4K video from any of the services. Some of the top services require a minimum of 25Mbps to get their best quality stream. Others require 20Mbps. Just depends on the service and how much quality they are allowing. At only 6Mbps, there is NO way you're getting 4K at all with streaming. None of the services with stream to a device in 4K with that little of bandwidth, 1080p would be the best and even that would have a 2nd or 3rd tier compression algorithm.

Also remember this is bandwidth for a dedicated stream. Have a 2nd person on the network trying to stream... add that into the bandwidth calculation. Have a computer doing updates and/or downloading... there is more bandwidth being used.

15. satcrazy

satcrazy Icon

Mar 15, 2011
    Great...
    All depends on what service you are streaming from, how many people in your house streaming at the same time [ with ANY device] and how many people in your area using the same provider especially if it's cable.
    Get the most bandwidth you can afford. Try the router they provide first before you spend more money than you need to.

16. jsk

jsk Icon

Dec 27, 2006
    Fallston, MD
    Many people pay extra for faster speeds and don’t need them. 20Mbps can handle 1-2 HD streams.