1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WiFi Side Effects

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Drucifer, May 24, 2013.

1. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Student Science Experiment Finds Plants Won't Grow Near Wi-Fi Router

CLICK HERE TO READ FULL ARTICLE

2. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    That's right up there with the 'Bras don't work' article. . .

3. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Maybe they just aren't sleeping well? And why are they sleeping with a phone anyway? I sleep on a pillow... pillows are softer than phones!

That said... I do sometimes wonder about the safety of any transmitting device. I don't know that they are completely safe... but I know a lot of things I do aren't completely safe.

I just don't know how scientific this particular experiment really was.

4. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    did testing phones ( and eBooks) for SAR ...

well, there is official limit, but you should take care of yourself as the study don't go back more then 20 years really

5. Sixto

Sixto Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    My iPhone is about a foot or two away from my head every night on the night stand. Hmmm, I may need to change things up.

6. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    I keep my smart phone very close to me at night due to a bizarre phantom dialing problem a while back, and hopefully if it happens again I will hear it and wake up in time.

Not happy having more on my plate regarding that phone. Grrr.

7. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    What this experiment does is prove that Lepidium sativum seeds won't germinate in Room B where two wifi routers are located. I don't intend to garden in Room B so I'm not worried about it. But it will be interesting to see if the experiment can be replicated in an environment other than a school where no one knows what the night janitor was doing....[​IMG]

8. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    Interesting study. One wonders what type of routers were used. Wireless-g and wireless-n routers all operate in the 2.4 GHz band (Wireless-n also operates in the 5 GHz band). Cell phones in Nordic countries have in the past used the 800 MHz band. The mostly used frequencies for mobile communications in Sweden are 875, 2100, 900/1800 MHz.
    The results of the study are credible if compared to cell phones operating in the 2100 MHz frequency range and having a power output similar to that of the router. One wonders what the effect of phones operating in other frequency ranges would be.

9. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I liked that article. Bras have only been used since the 19th century and there's probably little info on how well they work, or what adverse effects they might have.

Rich

10. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    I've been working near wireless access points for years and I haven't bargle snargle zif'd at snoogle.

11. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    And your avatar doesn't show any effects either!!

12. BattleScott

BattleScott Hall Of Fame

Aug 28, 2006
    There are several other factors that are left out that are far more relevant than frequency, the most important being the fact that a WiFi router is constantly transmitting and a cell-phone is not. Comparing the radiation output of a router to that of a cell-phone is simply apples-to-oranges and has no merit, regardless of actual frequency (although that is also a significant difference as you have pointed out).

Another device that operates in the 2.4GHz band is the Microwave oven. That frequency is exceptional at exciting water molecules to generate heat. So, basically the seeds were sitting in what amounts to a very weak microwave oven that caused them to dry out and die before they could sprout successfully. Seeds like a very stable temperature and moisture level to germinate, so it no surprise that they did not do well.

I would suspect that their concentration issues were caused more by the TALKING, TEXTING AND POSTING ON FACEBOOK on the phones close to the heads all night instead of actually sleeping...

13. kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte Active Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    I've wondered about this before. We constantly have radiation all around us, from cellular, wi-fi, bluetooth, satellite, radio, Tv. This has GOT to be effecting us SOMEHOW. Not much we're going to do about it though. Only solution would be to either go back probably 150 years technology wise and completely wipe out our way of life, out walk around in a full suit of armor lol

14. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    it's something I've wondered about all my life. It really goes much further as explained here:

I'm sure there are a few who can remember a time without living surrounded by ELF, IF, and/or RF fields. But I can't. Before satellites, of course, one could "get away from it all" but today that would be difficult. I don't worry about it, but I have to believe that mixing in all the "modern" fields with the electric impulse that are natural to our bodies has some effect. After all the electric fields that are produced by the build-up of electric charges from thunderstorms has an affect on our bodies and moods.

15. jerry downing

jerry downing Godfather

Mar 7, 2004
    Illinois
    I wonder if that works with mold. I had a mold problem a few years ago.

16. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    I have a bluetooth device in my ear most of the day -- no sign of mold...yet!
    If only BT could do something about earwax.

17. Cyber36

Cyber36 Legend

Mar 20, 2008
    Byron NY
    Lol....Funny dude!!

18. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    As a scientific experiment, the girls failed about eight ways. But my router is about 100 feet from my bed, and I usually turn my cell phone off (completely de-powered) at night, and it's 15 feet from my head when I sleep. So, even though I poo-pooh the "findings", I am grateful I am prepared non-the-less and don't have to make any life changing adjustments in my routines. :nono2:

And I've been happily eating lots of cranberry sauce and jelly since ca. 1960.... :goodjob: