1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wifi to HR24?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by reubenray, May 17, 2018.

1. reubenray

reubenray Godfather

Jun 26, 2002
    At my home I have the HR44 and the HR24 receivers. When I take a trip in my motorhome I always take my HR24 with me. I would like to be able to access the internet for OnDemand shows while on trips. I recently tried to connect a Linksys WGA600N gaming adapter to it, but it would not connect. From what I have read gaming adapters will work.

What gaming adapter do y'all recommend for this to work? I have a steady semi-fast wifi connection in the motorhome for doing this.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  2. B Newt

B Newt Icon

Aug 12, 2007
  3. Michael H..

Michael H.. Member

May 31, 2007
    WGA600N works fine.
    Verify by plugging another device into one of the ethernet ports, that it is wireless connected to your router (LAN) AND that it is connected to the router's internet.

4. reubenray

reubenray Godfather

Jun 26, 2002
    OK - I guess I need to see if the WGA600N will connect to the AT&T Mobley first which provides my wireless internet.

5. reubenray

reubenray Godfather

Jun 26, 2002
    How would this connect to the HR24? It has to be connected via an ethernet cable and cannot be connected wireless.

6. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Yes, the wireless connect device have an ethernet connection. The ethernet connection connects to the ethernet port on the HR24. The device then connects to your internet using it's wireless capability.

B Newt likes this.
  7. Michael H..

Michael H.. Member

May 31, 2007
    What and from where are you accessing the internet with in your motorhome?
    Are you using a modem or a combined modem/router, and is it connected directly via ethernet or wirelessly to the internet provider?
    Are you using a mobile carrier hot spot?

The requirement to connect the HRxx internet is that there is an ethernet port.
    The purpose of the game adapter, is to provide an ethernet port at a location where there is none.
    If there is an open ethernet port, on the back of the modem or the combination modem/router, no game adapter is needed.

All of the DirecTV HRxx's require connection via ethernet ONLY.
    If there is an ethernet wall jack at an HRxx location, the HRxx plugs into the wall jack.
    If there is NOT an ethernet wall jack at an HRxx location, then a wireless repeater, range extender, game adapter, etc., something equipped with at least one open ethernet port on the back that the HRxx can be plugged into, needs to be provided.

The HRxx is directly connected to the wireless repeater, etc., via ethernet.
    The wireless repeater, etc., is connected to the "steady semi-fast" main wireless router wirelessly, because this location does not have an ethernet wall jack.
    The wireless repeater, etc., not only needs to be connected wirelessly to the router LAN, it has to also be connected to the internet, IPv4 or IPv4/IPv6 needs to be selected.

8. reubenray

reubenray Godfather

Jun 26, 2002
    I am using the AT&T Mobley which is I guess a hotspot. It connects wireless to the AT&T tower. There are no outputs at all on it.

9. Michael H..

Michael H.. Member

May 31, 2007
    OK. I can see the situation.
    The HRxx STILL requires an ethernet connection.
    I assume that you have no trouble connecting and accessing internet with virtually any Android device (smartphone, tablet) and laptops, to the Mobley hotspot?
    The situation is that you still need to be able to connect a router, range extender, etc., something with at least one ethernet port on the back of it, to the Mobley wirelessly, to connect the HRxx to.
    I would have guessed that you could connect a game adapter to the Mobley, but not having any experience with the Mobley, I am not qualified to offer router, adapter, extender, etc., known working solutions, or even speculate.

What I would do is:

Get online help or tech support directly from a Mobley dedicated ATT or user group for instructions to connect a router to the Mobley.
    This is an ATT Mobley, NOT a DirecTV (hence DBSTalk) problem (with the exception that someone here has already successfully done EXACTLY what you want to do).

I wouldn't mention the reason being to connect a DirecTV device.
    A hot spot usually has a physical HW/SW and/or contractual limitation on the maximum number of devices that can be connected, i.e., not to exceed 4, 5, etc.
    Customers attempting to connect a router to a hot spot may be suspected of simply trying to circumvent that limitation, so ATT may not be forthcoming on how to connect a router, or have designed the Mobley to prevent it altogether (maybe why you can't connect your adapter).
    What you might want to tell them if asked, is that the limited range on the Mobley does not cover the length of your RV, and your laptop loses its connection when you move from the living room to bedroom...

10. reubenray

reubenray Godfather

Jun 26, 2002
    The Mobley does have a limitation of 5 devices. I will be within that limitation. The only reason I am needing something is the HR24 can only be connected via hardwire. Being I already have the Linksys WGA600N I will attempt to get it to work first. If not then I will order the IOGear. I tried to get the Linksys to work while on a trip and I did not have the time to play with it. My wife wanted the TV.

11. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    The WGA600N has been used for years on the HR2x for getting on the web wirelessly. Configure it as an Access Point.

12. reubenray

reubenray Godfather

Jun 26, 2002
    I will work on this in a week or so. Being it will be in my motorhome once I set it up should I be able to power it up, connect to wifi, plug it into the HR24 and go the next time I want to use it? I can keep the power on it all the time, but I cannot keep it connected to my wifi or plugged into the HR24 all the time.

13. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Your set up in a motorhome is the first one I have read about so I really can't answer this question. I know that in the house if you turn off the power and then turn it back on, all things that are wi-fi reconnect. This leads me to think that it will reconnect as long as you do not plug it into something else before taking it back to the motorhome.

14. reubenray

reubenray Godfather

Jun 26, 2002
    I have constant power on my motorhome. Even when I am driving it I have power. The WGA600N will only be used while in the motorhome, so I will leave it plugged up all the time.

15. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    By "plugging it into something else" I meant the ethernet cable and have it connect using that device. I do not think it is a problem to turn off the power.

16. reubenray

reubenray Godfather

Jun 26, 2002
    I meant it will have power all the time, but it will not be plugged into the HR24 all the time. When I am at home the HR24 is back in the house. When I am driving the motorhome it is turned off and powered off.