Will a Harmony remote work for me?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by Cuse92, Dec 6, 2019.

1. Cuse92

Cuse92 New Member

Dec 6, 2019
    I’ve searched high and low and can’t find a definitive answer to my question, so I was hoping someone on these forums would know. So here it is...
    I have a “man cave” area with 3 Samsung TVs (I know now the error of my ways), 2 Roku Streaming Stick+’s, and 1 Sony stereo receiver. Getting the same brand TV was a major mistake because all 3 TV remotes control any/all TVs. Mix in two Roku remotes and...yeah, you see my issue. So the burning question I have is:

Will a Harmony remote be able to independently control all devices without turning on or changing the channel of multiple devices at the same time?

Any help/info would be greatly appreciated!

2. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I don't see any way to get past what I highlighted. I have 3 4K Samsungs on one floor and just tried the remotes on each of them. I tried the remote on my newest set, a QLED, and that remote won't turn on/off any of the other Samsungs. But the other two remotes do turn the other sets on and off. Perhaps the QLED thing causes this. The Roku problem would be easy, just buy an ATV and a Fire TV device (I'd get a Cube) and keep one Roku.

I know what I'd do if this was important, I'd buy a Sony and an LG set to go with one of the Sammys. If it was that important. Easy way out.

But, perhaps there is a way to use a Harmony remote to do what you want. I've had a couple of them, still have one, prefer dedicated remotes, just my opinion. Somebody more used to dealing with the Harmony remotes might have a better answer.

Rich

3. Brad_73

Brad_73 New Member

Jul 16, 2019
    Southeast, GA
    The correct answer to this, is to buy a control system you can route the commands.

The Samsung TVs and Roku can be controlled via IP. Harmony has the Pro model and possibly the Elite model, that should control these via IP and give you discrete control. However I have no direct experience with modern Harmony devices, so I don't know for sure. Just what the manufacture keeps telling me they can do, wanting me to sell & install them.

Products from URC, RTI, Control4, Crestron, ELAN, Savant, etc... can all easily do this. But they are generally not for consumers to program. And getting a copy of the software and spending the time to figure out how to program them, can be problematic for consumers. Hiring a company to do this would be best but I suspect it maybe way outside your budget.

For an example (and this highly would depend on your setup), I would do a URC MX-990 with a MRF-350 base station, about 3-4 hours installation & programming, would come to about $1,100 total. Dropping to an MX-890 would shave $100 off the total cost (and the MX-780 is just a crap remote - I don't recommend).
    RTI has their ProControl line coming in at a similar total cost.