Will Directv activate an HR54 that I buy myself?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Soulweeper, Aug 5, 2019.

1. Aug 5, 2019 #1 of 34
    Soulweeper

Soulweeper Icon

Jan 9, 2005
    Hy HR44 has done some weird stuff lately, so thinking of getting an HR54 to have on hand, for what seems like that inevitable day. Whether it be Ebay, or whatever, I can get a brand new one. Not necessarily owned, but a leased receiver, which is fine. Bottom line, I can get exactly what I want, and find a new one.

Will they activate it? Heard they won't activate the AT&T branded ones, on legacy accounts, or something like that. Never had a problem in the past, but AT&T didn't own them then either.

If anyone has actually done it, I'd like to know.

Thanks, in advance! :)

2. Aug 5, 2019 #2 of 34
    carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Wherever you obtain it, it will be leased. You will have a requirement to activate within a limited time period (30 days or so), and if you don't you can be charged full price for the hardware.

So don't get one until you are ready to actually do so. Best bet is to go through a reliable third party vendor such as Solid Signal.

dreadlk likes this.
  3. Aug 6, 2019 #3 of 34
    Soulweeper

Soulweeper Icon

Jan 9, 2005
    I know that it will be leased.
    All I want to know is if they will have an issue activating, as they're owned by the devil now, that's all.
    I'm not paying solid signal prices, don't have to. I got one from Weaknees a long time ago, but same thing, I don't see the need to pay three times more than necessary.

4. Aug 6, 2019 #4 of 34
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Today you can call up AT&T|DIRECTV and see if you can get your bargain receiver activated. If it is clean in their system you might get someone to do it. Activating today would also allow you to go back to the seller if you can't get it activated.

Your question of keeping a receiver "on hand" isn't about today, it is about tomorrow. No one knows what tomorrow will bring, but the direction AT&T is headed I would not count on being able to activate a receiver not purchased directly from them or an authorized reseller. So the real question is how much are you willing to risk? If you can get a HR54 for $100 or less great - but consider that a donation to the "bad decisions club" unless a miracle occurs and at that yet to be determined time in the future someone at A&T|DIRECTV actually allows you to activate it.

My feeling is that the less you pay the more likely that you are buying something that will never be able to be activated. But that is my opinion. It is your money to risk.

dreadlk likes this.
  5. Aug 6, 2019 #5 of 34
    Soulweeper

Soulweeper Icon

Jan 9, 2005
    Has nothing to do with it being a "bargain receiver". At Solid Signal, they're $300. Not paying $300 for something I don't own. Never have, never will.

I may just get one, and swap it out. There are people selling them, that have the RID available, so I can call them, make sure they will activate said receiver, and then buy it.

I asked a simple question.....mainly hoping someone that has done it would reply, but thanks for your opinion.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
  6. Aug 6, 2019 #6 of 34
    dreadlk

dreadlk Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2007
    Earth
    I have done it and they would not activate an HR54 unless it came from them or SS. I was told that the system will not allow activations from other sellers.

7. Aug 6, 2019 #7 of 34
    SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    Dumb question, but why not just get it from DirecTV for free?

trh likes this.
  8. Aug 6, 2019 #8 of 34
    trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Excellent question.

And I thought that DIRECTV isn't allowing reactivation of previously owned equipment (unless it is the original owner)?

I think you can only get a 54 from DIRECTV or an authorized third-party seller like Solid Signal.

9. Aug 6, 2019 #9 of 34
    SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    YMMV on all counts. Luck of the CSR draw. Only way to 100% guarantee you can activate it is from DirecTV (for free) or SS (for $300). No advantage to buying from SS or eBay anyways as you'll get a 1 yr contract no matter who you get it from.

As I said, if you ask nicely (and/or in the "right" way) & your account is in good standing, you can probably get one comped from DirecTV. When I upgraded my junk HR24 several months ago, I was also looking at avoiding the $300 cost on eBay / Amazon... but I talked them into comp'ing it minus the $20 S&H.

10. Soulweeper

Soulweeper Icon

Jan 9, 2005
    They have gone down the drain since AT&T bought them.

11. Soulweeper

Soulweeper Icon

Jan 9, 2005
    Because to my knowledge, they can't send a specific receiver, and they send whatever they have. I don't want a refurb, and they can't guarantee new.

12. Soulweeper

Soulweeper Icon

Jan 9, 2005
    I'm talking about brand new, not previously owned.

13. Soulweeper

Soulweeper Icon

Jan 9, 2005
    I don't care about any contract, I just want a new one.

14. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Well, you've answered all your questions. Go get one now on E-bay.

15. makaiguy

makaiguy Icon

Sep 24, 2007
    Aiken, SC
    Not exactly a news flash.

16. Soulweeper

Soulweeper Icon

Jan 9, 2005
    I may do that, and I may not. Like I said several times, I simply asked a question, as a while back, I heard several different opinions. Back before AT&T(the devil) took over, many people bought them on Ebay. New, leased, owned....whatever. I have been with them 22 years, and been on here many years, so I don't get the sarcasm.
    You can get lucky, and get the exact model you want, from Directv, or at least it used to be that way. I know all about Solid Signal. Again, not paying $300 for something I don't own. Period. Never have, never will.

I'll try Directv first. I just don't want to hear the inevitable pitch about the new server, or whatever it's called. Don't care,m don't want it, and don't want to hear about it.

17. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    Directv used to activate new HR54s from approved sources as leased boxes. They have NEVER activated HR54s that were already leased.They used to activate HR54s that were owned (very few of these, from employees or other special sources). They will NOT do this any more. Basically unless you get the HR54 from Directiv, they won't activate it. Solid signal is still a bit of a question; speculation is that if you still have a Directv account (i.e. one that hasn't been transferred to ATT) you might be able to activate a box from Solid Signal; if you have an ATT account, that will not work. HR54s from other sources will probably just be expensive doorstops.

18. Soulweeper

Soulweeper Icon

Jan 9, 2005
    I would never buy one that was already leased. And Directv used to activate any new, not previously leased boxes, regardless of where they were from. I would know, because I activated a couple BRAND NEW ones from Ebay. I know this is specifically about an HR54, but in general, Directv used to be cooler than they are now. AT&T sucks.

19. Soulweeper

Soulweeper Icon

Jan 9, 2005
    But yes....it sounds like what I was hoping to do, won't happen. I will try Directv, as I refuse to pay $300 for something I don't own. :)

20. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    We get it. Best wishes finding a new HR54 and getting it activated. Let us know how your adventure turns out so others can learn from you!