1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

will DirecTV ever carry the XXX-2, -3, -4 channels?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by bluemoose, Jan 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluemoose

bluemoose Legend

Dec 7, 2007
    will DirecTV ever carry the XXX-2, -3, -4 channels?

right now, they only carry the 2-1, 5-1, 7-1 and 9-1 local HD channels...
    but not 2-2 & 2-3, as well 9-1, 9-2, 9-3 and 9-4 channels....

Thanks! :)

2. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Never say never, but I've heard no plans to include subchannels in local feeds.

3. old7

old7 Godfather

Dec 1, 2005
    Maybe DirecTV could make arrangements with the local stations where the stations pay DirecTV to carry the additional sub-channels. ;)

4. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    At this point, the best hope of getting subchannels is OTA and DIRECTV has stupidly created a lot of confusion in this regard.

On the other hand, only a handful of secondary channels provide unique programming.

If you're looking for the station that carries five religious SD feeds, you're probably SOL.

5. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    I don't think it's a high priority.

6. TANK

TANK Icon DBSTalk Club

Feb 16, 2003
    FLORIDA
    I thought you talking about the adult channels :lol:

7. ActiveHDdave

ActiveHDdave Godfather

Sep 15, 2007
    ditto

8. syphix

syphix Hall Of Fame

Jun 23, 2004
    Perhaps when EVERY channel is converted over to MPEG4, the X-2 etc. channels can be added. They're all pretty much SD channels, right? Perhaps freeing up enough bandwidth by converting everything to MPEG4 (all SD channels) could be used for X-2's.

But I doubt it. They'd probably waste the extra bandwidth on interactive features and channels. More than X-2's, I like to see a localized "Weather on the 8's" active channel (perhaps an overlay like on The Tennis Channel or the interactive features for NFL, MLB and NASCAR...) for The Weather Channel.

9. bidger

bidger Hall Of Fame

Nov 19, 2005
    Make that three.

10. Mocco71

Mocco71 Godfather

Jan 13, 2007
    That's probably why there have been so many views already... people searching for xxx material!

11. bluemoose

bluemoose Legend

Dec 7, 2007
    My local CBS HD station actually has quite decent programming on the 9-3 and
    9-4 sub channels. (9-2 is a continuous Doppler weather map) In fact, those
    two channels are the *only* reason I'm still using the old HR20's OTA inputs. :)
    (the other being the local PBS HD channel, but they suck big time.... :( )

12. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    While the new D11 sat will add a ton of added bandwidth for LIL as well as HD, I have not read or heard one peep about adding subchannels. Only more cities LIL and PBS.

13. dodge boy

dodge boy R.I.P. Chris Henry

Mar 31, 2006
    Not true, in my area there are 3 individual sub channes for PBS, also my ABC affiliate has 33-1 ABC 33-2 MyTv 33-3 24 Hr. local weather. My CBS Afffiliate is 27-1 CBS 27-2 Local Fox, and my NBC is 21-1 NBC 21-2 CW (But of course all of these except the PBSes and 33-3 are carried) 27-2 is 62, 33-2 is 15 and 21-2 is 14

14. bakerfall

bakerfall Godfather

Aug 23, 2006
    I'm less concerned with the subchannels than I am with the independent channels and PBS. I know in Chicago we aren't getting 11, 26 and 50, all of which carry HD programming. If D* just covered those, I'd be happy.

15. mgoblue99

mgoblue99 Legend

Dec 11, 2007
    The other nice thing about local subs is that they have local weather. With DirecTV, I miss my local on the 8s TWC forecast, and having those local sub-channels would be nice.

16. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    So what is Dish doing for sub-channels?

17. diat150

diat150 AllStar

Nov 6, 2007
    dish allows you to receive all of the available ota channels and subchannels, unlike directv's hr20.
    the dish receivers give you the option to scan for channels and you dont have to rely on directv's database and doesnt limit you by zipcode. thats what dish is doing.

18. ncxcstud

ncxcstud Icon

Apr 22, 2007
    diat150 - are you saying that Dish gives you all the subchannels with an antenna? Or that Dish provides the subchannels with the local channels in the DMAs that have the HD locals through Dish Network?

Because if it's the first, then DirecTV does the same. I get all my subchannels, with an antenna and direcTV provides accurate guide data for it as well...

19. Jon Ellis

Jon Ellis Godfather

Dec 28, 2003
    Carriage of all the subchannels probably won't come unless the FCC decides to require cable & satellite to carry them. That decision is still up in the air (and we're how many years into the digital conversion?) The satellite companies probably wouldn't mind carrying the subchannels that have actual programming on them, as opposed to the screensaver-type channels that just show a radar.

A few subchannels are carried already, such as the "MyNetwork" affiliate in Madison, WI, and the FOX affiliate in Quincy, IL. More of them will likely be carried as stations renegotiate their retransmission agreements and require that their subchannels be carried.

20. diat150

diat150 AllStar

Nov 6, 2007
    im talking about ota. in my area, directv's ota "database" doesnt have all of the subchannels, and since i am capable of receiving locals out of 4 zipcodes, I am not capable of receiving channels from 2 zipcodes since they only allow you to view channels from 2 zipcodes simultaneously. Which in my opinion, is pretty messed up. again, this is a combination of the hr20 not having scan functions and what I call horrible planning/engineering. after many calls and emails they seem content in not allowing me to receive all of the channels I am capable of receiving OTA. I guess we can chalk it up to you being lucky or me having bad luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.