1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will DirecTV sell me another ICK?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by grecorj, Aug 22, 2010.

1. grecorj

grecorj Legend

Jan 20, 2008
    Had new HD install with WHDVR and system connected to internet via ICK this past weekend. Works great.

I'd like to add an "unsupported" ethernet switch in the family room so I can plug in my Wii and Blu Ray player and piggyback DECA cloud. To do this I know I'll need a powered DECA (can't share with DVR as it is a HR24 and doesn't use a DECA) to connect to the switch.

Will DirecTV sell me + ship another ICK for $25?

I saw a DECA w/PI on ebay for $39.99 (free shipping) ...

Just looking for least expensive way to get powered DECA...

thx for any suggestions...

2. Sim-X

Sim-X Godfather

Sep 23, 2009
    Well you shouldn't need the internet connection kit, you would just need a regular deca. (one IKC gives the entire cloud access to the network) I don't know if you could add a deca behind a HR24 You could picking up a regular deca, add it behind the HR24 and plug the little ethernet cord into your switch and make sure not to plug the ethernet into the HR24. (you would then have 2 decas enabled)

Like I said I'm not sure if you can add another DECA behind a deca since the HR24 has one built in. If it doesn't work, you could get a green 2 way splitter and plug the extra deca into the splitter assuming you don't have too many splitters already.

Also if adding another deca behind the HR24 did conflict with the internal deca of the HR24, you could also try just putting an external deca behind the hr24, then put the ethernet into a switch and then connect one of the ports of the switch to the HR24 and the other ports to your other stuff. Then your only using 1 deca which might actually work better.

Any of the above configurations won't be supported by DTV of course, but as long as you use a good switch I don't see why you would have any problems. If I were you, I would prob just go with the last option so your only using 1 deca and won't have to split anything. Make sure to reboot the HR24 once you get it hooked up so it switches the internal deca off. No need for another ICK though if you already have one.

Let us know how it works

3. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    If you introduce something else into the DECA cloud, you are riskng having very poor Whole Home DVR results. If your Blu Ray player is downloading BD Live content into the cloud while someone else is using the WHDVR feature, you run the risk of bandwidth limitations and having poor WHDVR playback.

I sugget keeping your Blue Ray and Wii out of the cloud and networking them back to the original router directly. If wired is not possible, try a LinkSys WGA600n to get your devices wireless back to the router, outside of the cloud.

4. Sim-X

Sim-X Godfather

Sep 23, 2009
    I agree if he can keep other items off the cloud it would be better but BD live and wii don't really use up that much bandwidth at least from what I know about them. I have only used BD live a few times but it's not even that great in my opinion.

Also his extra components will be limited by how fast his connection is which there should be plenty of bandwidth left over for MRV even if you have your BD Live downloading a hd movie trailer.

I think if he uses a good switch I don't see why it wouldn't work.

I think all wireless adapters blow personally, you can configure them to work ok but overall nothing beats a wired connection .

5. BudShark

BudShark New Member

Aug 11, 2003
    Do you have another Coax cable or network cable in the Family room?

I'd really recommend against doing what you are saying. The results may not be good. Adding a switch off a DECA (which is really meant as a single client connection) may give some really bad results related to how the DECA cloud interfaces with that switch and the traffic associated with it (DHCP, broadcasts, traffic load, etc).

Whether they will sell you one or not, you'd have to call and ask. If I had another RG6 cable or Cat5 cable that was unused - I'd be looking at that versus trying to do what you say. The Wii has built in Wireless, and your blu-ray player may also... thats another option.

The $25 is the least expensive, but you may not like the results. But its up to you if you want to try... I don't think anyone here can say yes or no to the question - just make the call if that's what you want to do.

6. grecorj

grecorj Legend

Jan 20, 2008
    maybe i'm confusing things...

isn't an ICK just a DECA w/ a PI?

understood in terms of network performance ...

yes, my Wii has wireless, but signal in that part of house is just ok. blu ray player does not have wireless built it (would have to buy adapter).

my thought on the switch is that any internet device would be constrained by my DSL connection ... not planning on using it to stream content from my mac or anything like that...

if anyone else has experience adding a switch to a deca set-up, would love to hear it!

7. BudShark

BudShark New Member

Aug 11, 2003
    It isn't that simple.

DECA is NOT Ethernet over Coax. Its a different physical network layer. So, when you add a switch/non-MRV device to the DECA cloud - you are interrupting/changing/constraining the MRV traffic.

Since the switch will have devices that need to get DHCP addresses, resolve DNS names, download content, play games, and get software updates from the Internet - and all those things are on the other side of the DECA cloud - there COULD be impact if someone is streaming MRV at that same time. Guaranteed to be a problem? No, absolutely not. But something to be aware of. Adding a blu-ray player and a Wii to the DECA cloud WILL impact traffic flow on your currently isolated DECA MRV.

Feel free to give it a try... :) If you tend to be like my family - you'll be absolutely fine. But we also don't mix media - someone isn't streaming MRV while someone else is watching a Blu-Ray or playing the Wii. We tend to all be doing the same thing because my kids are too young.

8. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I've got switches in the DECA system and have no problems. The tech that installed my DECA system argued with me about using a switch between the router and the bridge that he had to install and he finally did it and was amazed that it worked. Then I showed him the other one that was part of the system that he installed. Just used logic. I have no problems with the DECA system and I have twelve HRs on it plus a BD player and three Roku boxes. Everything works just as I thought it would.

Rich

9. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    If you belong to the Protection Plan, you can get any DECA equipment just by calling them and explaining what you are doing. They sent me a dongle just the other day at no cost. If you don't have the PP...well, this is just another reason to belong to it.

Rich

10. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    There are two problems with this idea:

1. Adding a DECA to the input of any 24 will block the DECA signal from the internal DECA.
    2. The 24s don't power the DECA when one is attached.

11. grecorj

grecorj Legend

Jan 20, 2008
    Thanks for the tip, Rich...

Will I need a PI with the DECA for the switch? I'm still confused about that, sorry.

12. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Any DECA that doesn't connect to a receiver [where it get its power] needs a PI.

13. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    This is what intrigues me. I mean I know its the putative dogma to keep all other traffic out of the DECA cloud except MRV and DirecTV will not recommend or support it of course. But I really can't believe that DirecTV as member of the MoCA alliance did not design DECA to the same specifications as the 1 GHz range MoCA 1.1 standard with the exception of the non-standard (to MoCA 1.0 and 1.1 anyhow) operating frequency range of 475-625 MHz.

So if FiOS and others nowadays can put practically everything on their MoCA clouds without issues, then I don't see why DirecTV's DECA cloud should not have the same capabilities.

14. BudShark

BudShark New Member

Aug 11, 2003
    Its not that it can't. It is MOCA in a different frequency. But remember that MOCA is not as good of a general networking platform as Ethernet. Its really optimized and designed for video.

In general (and I'm stating in general, so no one get all uptight about your specific use ;) )
    General Network, Data Flow: Ethernet > MOCA/DECA
    Video Streaming: MOCA/DECA > Ethernet
    Mix of both: Ethernet > MOCA/DECA

15. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Oh yes I know thats the way it should be in theory at least, MoCA being optimized for video/audio streaming that is. But to take FiOS for instance where all their newer installs place almost everything (with the possible exception of maybe a separate cat 3 run to the ONT for POTS or something) from video/audio to computer data on the coax MoCA cloud. They should be experiencing networking problems because of this approach, but they are not to my knowledge.:confused:

16. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    1. Are you suggesting their installers are any better trained? :lol:
    2. Let FiOS do the debugging of this and then DirecTV may come on board. ;)

17. grecorj

grecorj Legend

Jan 20, 2008
    Just called DirecTV...they are sending me another ICK for no charge. Told them I wanted to hook up another computer in another room so needed a powered DECA unit to conect it. Normally $25, but came up as $0, free 3 day shipping. Can't beat that.

Thanks all.

18. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Well I actually think most of the installers of both services blindly carry out the installation policies of their departments, and don't give much to any thought about the real necessity or wisdom of them either way. :)

But the higher-ups who actually make these policies have different philosophies. The question is does DirecTV's policy of keeping the DECA and ethernet home network clouds strictly separate really necessary?

No I really think DirecTV will stick to it's policy of separating the clouds regardless of what FiOS or any others do or how successful they are at using it, but that still does not make their policy the correct or not overly cautious one. :D

19. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    The tech that installed the DECA system in my house was taught to keep everything off the DECA system, but he changed his mind about that after we were done. What they teach and what's real world are two different things. Apparently.

Rich

20. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    !rolling
    Like this is some new concept for you. :lol: