1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will "disputed" channels go back in favorites lists?

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by jkane, Oct 7, 2010.

1. Oct 7, 2010 #1 of 10
    jkane

jkane Icon

Oct 12, 2007
    Please don't hijack this into another debate over who's right and who's wrong.

When the current dispute Dish has with that set of channels we are missing is resolved, will they show back up in my favorites, or will I have to manaully readd them again?

I don't recall ever having a channel dissapear from my favorites list before.

Also, will scheduled recordings come back, or will they need to be manually "fixed". I mean future ones of course. I am not asking if missed ones will magically happen! :rolleyes:

2. Oct 7, 2010 #2 of 10
    Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    This is a big YMMV situation.

Currently Dish hasn't taken the actual channels down, but is running slates or alternate programming... so nothing has vanished from favorites lists or timers.

IF they actually take the uplinks down or hide them... then I think you'd have to definitely re-do your timers BUT they might come back to a favorites list.

3. Oct 7, 2010 #3 of 10
    SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg Active Member

Aug 30, 2004
    I'd get my digital camera out and take 3-4 photos of the screen showing your Timer list. (Unless you have a 722k, in which case make sure you backup your Timers to the remote.)

4. Oct 7, 2010 #4 of 10
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Favorites Lists
    Channels removed (such as ABC Family, ESPNews, Disney, Disney XD) should return to any favorites list they were in. Channels replaced (such as FX and NatGeo) will remain in the favorites list as their replacement. If you choose to remove 136 and 186 from your favorites list I would not expect them magically return when the content returns to normal.

Newly added channels seem to add themselves to my favorites lists so it is possible that IF DISH drops and adds 136 and 186 when the content returns (instead of just changing the content, EPG and channel name) they would be forced on to all favorites lists. That is, if your receiver acts like mine.

I have noticed that lockouts seem to last forever. Back in the days of VOOM I did not subscribe to the VOOM package so those channels were locked and hidden (as I do with all non-subscribed channels to keep them out of my all channels guide). When those numbers got reused the channels remained locked and hidden. So there are some things that stay in the receiver despite the channels available/not available at the time.

Timers
    I have timers that exist for removed channels ... they don't record anything as the channel doesn't exist ... but if the channel existed again they should still work. The timers for 136 and 186 should just show up as "incorrect event" until the real channels return.

5. Oct 7, 2010 #5 of 10
    Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Some of this of course depends on whether or not they come back on the same channels.

With Disney, Dish just lost the HD feeds...

So timers for SD Disney channels are unaffected. Timers for HD feeds will depend on whether you used the mapdowns OR the 9xxx channel number. IF you used mapdowns, then the Disney timers should come back fine when those feeds come back. IF you used 9xxx, however, then at least ESPNews has already had its 9xxx channel re-assigned to Sony Movie Channel HD.

For FOX, Dish has lose both SD and HD feeds... IF this is a short-term thing, then everything will probably come back to the same channels... but Dish has already shown (with Disney) they are ready to re-use those channel numbers... so, if this becomes an extended thing, Dish might one day launch new channels at the old FOX channel locations.

6. Oct 8, 2010 #6 of 10
    jkane

jkane Icon

Oct 12, 2007
    What I see is the my customoized favorites already lost a few channels such as FX. I didn't delete them. They just are not in the list anymore. I was wondering how I'd know if/when they come back. Would I have to watch elsewhere like the "all subscribed" list and add them to my shorter favorites, or would Dish put them back in my favorites list.

I guess it's a wait and see. I'll have to watch the threads here. I am sure someone will post a message the minute they come back. ;)

7. Oct 8, 2010 #7 of 10
    Tulsa1

Tulsa1 Godfather

Oct 15, 2003
    Sorry for the off-topic but I noticed NatGeo was replaced with a mirror of Discovery. What's up with that?

8. Oct 8, 2010 #8 of 10
    Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Lots of good discussion here regarding the recent FOX dispute and channels lost.

9. Oct 8, 2010 #9 of 10
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Odd that a channel in your list disappeared on what is in effect a name change. But don't worry ... watch the main DISH forum and you'll know they are back as soon as 60 seconds after I do (unless I'm sleeping or away from the computer). :)

See the dispute threads in the main DISH Network forums. Fox and DISH are having a dispute over a contract renewal so there are some channels off the air with FX and NatGeo temporarily replaced with HDNet and HDTheater feeds.

10. jkane

jkane Icon

Oct 12, 2007
    Just wanted to correct one thing I figured out this past weekend. The channel "numbers" are still in the guide. But they are "mapped", or whetever you want to call it, to a different station. I noticed the other day that some HD Movie type channel got added. I thought someone else might have done it.

When I looked at the timers in detail, I noticed that the timer was still there, and had the channel number assigned. So I looked up that channel number, and that was when I noticed the change in station assigned!

Since the timers are channel number based, and not station name, they should work again as long as the station returns to it's old channel number.