Will DTV Ever Officially Support Ethernet From A Modem?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by CraigerM, Aug 25, 2016.

1. CraigerM

CraigerM Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2014
    St. Louis
    I know they don't officially support it but could they ever do an update to officially support connecting any H/HR series box to your modem using Ethernet? Just curious how come they don't officially support it?

2. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    They don't support it because they dont install it. As long as DIRECTV runs on coax, Ethernet would not be supported.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk

3. CraigerM

Apr 15, 2014
    St. Louis
    What if they had an all new guide with a revamped Internet connection set-up wizard? Then the revamped Internet connection set-up wizard could detect that a modem was hooked up by WIFI or Ethernet?

4. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    The units already do detect how you're connected.

5. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    It's still not DirecTV's equipment, and while you and others here probably can handle it right, for the average joe using a poor ISP provided router, it will be a CSR/Tech nightmare.

Tech: Okay what brand of router do you have?
    Customer: I don't know, it just says Verizon on it
    Tech: Is it 802.11n? 802.11ab?
    Customer: I don't know, it has wifi?
    Tech: Is your firewall blocking any ports or sites?
    Customer: What's a firewall?
    Tech: What's the admin password so I can check?
    Customer: I don't know, I just connect it to the wifi and enter the code on the sticker
    Tech: Are you using Cat-5e or Cat-6a cables?
    Customer: I don't know, I just stick that other phone cable thing into the port

You can use your wifi or router if you want, but if you have any problems with multiroom and/or RVU that requires a tech visit, be prepared for any tech to change the setup to DECA.

6. CraigerM

Apr 15, 2014
    St. Louis
    I'm not sure if this thread is similar to that other thread I posted in "I Don't Understand DTV's Strategy" but maybe that could be why AT&T want's do an all new all in one hybrid box from scratch so that it will officially support all types of connections?

7. CraigerM

Apr 15, 2014
    St. Louis
    I had Ethernet hooked up and did the reset button but it still said it was connected to WIFI. Also doesn't having Ethernet hooked up mess with Whole Home DVR?

8. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    The main reason it's NOT supported is Trouble Shooting (that's It) if it's connected with a Connection Kit from D* it will be supported - connecting it any other way will work - Just like your PC's and Tablets and Gaming boxes if they don't work -it's your problem.

9. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    Not as long as the Wifi Connection has access to your local lan no problem

10. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    If you're going from Wifi to Ethernet you have to do a complete reset of the network settings, plug in the cable, reboot.

11. CraigerM

Apr 15, 2014
    St. Louis
    What if the modem is next to the HR-44 and just using WIFI would their be that much of a difference between WIFI and Ethernet? I have the UVerse Modem next to HR-44 in a TV stand. Both of them are sitting on their own shelf.

12. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    There would absolutely be a difference... Unless you're ethernet only runs at 10M.

13. CraigerM

Apr 15, 2014
    St. Louis
    Their is also this on DTV.com:

https://support.directv.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3835/related/1

If you don't have to worry about this and still use restore internet defaults does that mess with whole home recordings on the main Genie and other DVR's?

14. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Who cares if they "officially support" it. The ethernet port (on models that have it) works perfectly well. They simply don't install it like that, and won't help you if you have trouble with it, but they don't stop you from doing it yourself.

15. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    The problems occur when people expect things like RVU or multiroom to work over their ethernet instead of DECA. If they have decent uncomplicated equipment it can work just fine. (i.e. a modem connected to a decent router that can support heavy traffic from multiple devices and making sure the wireless router is located in a place that provides strong reception for most of the house)

The moment you start introducing things like unmanaged switches because you ran out of ethernet ports on the ISP provided router, weak wifi signals because the router is in a cabinet in the basement and your receiver is on the second floor, or cheap routers that can't handle the constant traffic and starts delaying packets when someone else is trying to download a PS4 or Xbone game update or watch Netflix on a tablet, you may run into problems.

16. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    Changing your network settings has nothing to do with recordings at all.

17. bakers12

bakers12 ΔS > 0

May 29, 2007
    Chicago -...
    When a HR34 was installed here by a DirecTV tech, he plugged the Ethernet cable right into the router sitting a foot away. The coax cable provided DECA/MoCA connectivity to the C31 he also installed.

Later, I bought a broadband DECA and hooked it up the right way.

18. dorfd1

dorfd1 Icon

Jul 15, 2008
    when you talk about modem, are you refering to the directv receiver getting the ip from the ISP?

19. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    The modem gets a public IP from the ISP. The DIRECTV along with any other devices gets a private IP from a router.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk

20. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    I fail to see how connecting a DECA to a home network instead of connecting a Genie to the same home network solves network related problems for DirecTV. It's the same home network.

The only valid reason that I can see for DirecTV to not want to support Ethernet directly to a Genie is fear that a customer will attempt to swap the location of a Genie and a different receiver and think that they can just plug the same Ethernet cable into the other receiver.