1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will DTV give a current customer the "new customer offer"

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by KAL, Jul 15, 2010.

1. KAL

KAL Godfather

Aug 31, 2008
    My contract is up in August. if I call and ask nicely, would customer service hook me up with whatever the current new customer offer happens to be at that time?

2. KAL

KAL Godfather

Aug 31, 2008
    I accidently pushed the enter button before I was obviously done. :lol:

3. Manctech

Manctech Icon

Jul 5, 2010
    The answer is no. Directv will not give you the same price/deal/discounts as a new customer. If you call and tell them you are unhappy with the price they may lower your bill for a couple months, but you won't get the new customer deal.

4. KAL

KAL Godfather

Aug 31, 2008
    Thanks for responding. So even if I hint (in a non confrontational way) that I am considering switching to cable or fios, they wouldnt budge?

5. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    I think Manctech is too negative on your possibilities. Every two years DirecTV puts their subscribers in a good negotiating position. You have to take advantage of it, KAL.

The question is what do you want?

Last August, when my renewal came up, I wanted a second HD DVR, a HD receiver and for them to move and re-mount my dish in a new location, and I wanted all of this for free. It took a couple of phone calls, the last one to retention, but by then the deal was well defined in my head. I found a rep who understood that and I got it right away.

6. terryfoster

terryfoster Godfather

Nov 14, 2006
    It's not to say that you can't get some good deals, you just won't get exactly what a new customer gets. Some things may be better than a new customer (equipment) other things won't be quite as good (programming discounts).

7. Upstream

Upstream Hall Of Fame

Jul 4, 2006
    When I told DirecTV that I was planning to cancel my service, I was offered a couple of deals from Retention, none very good. About a week after I actually quit, they started offering me fantastic deals to come back. I don't know if these offers were the exact same thing they offered new customers, but they seemed to be in the same range.

8. ATARI

ATARI Hall Of Fame

May 10, 2007
    You won't get anything if you don't try.

Spend a little time, call a few times if you have to. Eventually you'll have to speak with retention. Always remain calm and pleasant, and you will be amazed at the deals you can get. Especially if you are a long time customer with a $100+ monthly bill.

9. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    It very much depends on your rating with DirecTV. If you are highly-rated, DirecTV will try really hard to keep you or win you back. If not, they may just cancel your account and offer you nothing. Don't threaten anything you aren't willing to back up...

10. adamspt2

adamspt2 Cool Member

Sep 16, 2008
    So, our bill is around 109 a month; we've had the NFL package twice. I have two receivers - 1 SD/DRV, 1 HD/DVR. My contract is coming up in September. Does it seem reasonable to get my SD receiver upgraded to a 2nd HD/DVR box for free?

11. NewForceFiveFan

NewForceFiveFan Legend

Apr 23, 2010
    Unfortunately it always takes canceling completely to get any real response from a provider. I was an early-adopter of Directv and was with them from 1997-2000 my first go round. They wanted me to pay a ripoff price for a replacement dual-lnb when it failed in 2000 so I found a good deal online and went with Dish Network. After I installed Dish Network I called to cancel out Directv. Suddenly they wanted to give me the world and were insistent Dish couldn't hold me to any contract obligations if I canceled out my new service with them within 24 hours of activation. I told Directv they were too late. I'd already spent three weeks trying to get a new part or replacement dish and their csrs weren't being helpful. I basically told them to go fly a kite.

I stayed with Dish Network until this past spring when a severe lightning strike to the telephone pole outside my house took out most of the dish hardware and nearly every other electronic item plugged into a wall outlet. Once again I got the runaround because I wasn't a "new" customer from Dish Networks POV and my 9 years of commitment didn't mean squat. So I went back to Directv, where they welcomed me back as a new customer and gave me a brand-new HR24 HD DVR, a second HR24 HD receiver, brand spanking new dish and mounts, free professional installation, discounts on programming, et al for ZERO DOWN. When I called Dish Network to cancel it out completely the day Directv was installed suddenly they wanted to give me the world. They continued to call me back every other day for a week to make sure I hadn't changed my mind and wanted to stay with Dish.

So in the end it just pays to really cancel service and not just bluff. You might have to go a few days hoping they call you back with a great offer. If they don't then that just proves they didn't really want you anyway and their competition deserves to get your money.

12. KAL

KAL Godfather

Aug 31, 2008
    Thanks to all for taking the time to respond I appreciate it. I have been on their permier plan and my bill has been $100+ a month. I have one HD DVR and HD receiver. Been with dtv since Aug of 08, so I dont think that makes me a very longtime customer.(semi long maybe?)When late August rolls around, I will give them a call and see what happens.

13. dellis23

dellis23 Cool Member

Jun 10, 2010
    I definitely agree with this statement. A few years back I had DirecTV and cancelled when I moved for my job. The retention department had no offers for me and didn't seem too interested in keeping me (never late on a payment and had only been my second call to D* since install). A few weeks later I started getting mailings asking me to come back with pretty awesome offers, however I was still a little peeved I had to cancel my service to get anything out of them.

When we found our house, we decided to go with Dish Network. I was with them until this past February when I got a pretty amazing offer in the mail to come back to DirecTV. I tried to get Dish to match it (or comparable) and all they would do is 3 months of Starz and Showtime. I went ahead and ordered the impressive new deal from D*. I ended up getting 1 HD DVR, 1 HD receiver, 1 std receiver. 29 off my package for 12 mo., 3 months of starz and showtime, AT&T Discount, they then PAID my Dish Network Cancellation and credited back the cancellation fee I paid almost 2 years ago when I left. I came out pretty nicely on the deal. :D

I got a call a few weeks later from Dish asking me to come back. I declined and was then told by the agent how bad I would regret not coming back and she would be awaiting my phone call once I saw how bad DirecTV's service really is.:nono2: Other than the guide glitch back in June, I would have to say that DirecTV is 100x better than Dish. The HD is astounding compared to what Dish Network has. :grin:

14. pappy97

pappy97 Icon

Nov 14, 2009
    Agree with this. You probably won't get most new customer offers, BUT existing customers have been known to get the $59.99 for 5 months NFLST/Premier deal, and if in August for example, this is offered to new customers, you might be able to get it as well. Last year existing customers were getting, I also thought I heard of some existing customers getting this this summer as well.

It's worth asking for, as it is VERY attractive (even if you could care less about NFLST!)

15. Manctech

Manctech Icon

Jul 5, 2010
    When I said that he wouldn't get the new customer deal I meant just that. He will not get the same rate a new customer would. What I didn't say and probably should have, is that if you call and threaten to cancel and it's forwarded to the retention department they will make some concessions and probably give you a lower price for 3-6 months. But this won't last forever.

Worst comes to worst you get 3 free months of showtime or worse the game lounge.:hurah:

16. bills976

bills976 Godfather/Supporter

Jun 30, 2002
    The following have all been reported at one time or another to play into DirecTV's customer rating system (aka likelihood of getting discounts):

- Length of time as a customer
    - In/out of contract
    - Autopay
    - Never late on a payment
    - High package (Premier)
    - Sports package subscriptions (paying full price for Sunday Ticket helps)
    - Previous history of credits
    - etc.

17. crkeehn

crkeehn Godfather

Apr 22, 2002
    That is probably par for the course for most providers. At one point I cancelled Dish Network while we were struggling financially. We thought we could survive for a while on OTA broadcasts. We were wrong. Less than a week later, we called to reinstate the account, we still had our dishplayer so we didn't need equipment, just the account reactivated. They wanted to charge us two months programming fees as well as a deposit. I had been a previous DirecTV subscriber and had no difficulty with restarting with them.

After a bit, Dish was contacting me regularly offering me sweet deals to re-up.

18. bryanw3535

bryanw3535 Legend

Aug 1, 2008
    Yes. Dish Network is not very welcoming to previous customers. My progression was: Dish Network, Cable, DirecTV, Fios, now back on DirecTV.

Each time I left a provider I had either fulfilled my contract or paid the early termination fee. And each time I returned the undamaged equipment right away.

On my most recent switch, I was ready to leave Fios TV and go back to satellite. I gave both providers a chance to give me their best offer.

DirecTV welcomed me back with a free HDDVR, free HD receiver, free installation, free Internet connection installation, and the $59.99/month for five months ST and Premiere package.

Dish Network immediately started with accusations. "Have you been a Dish Network customer before??" "Yes." Knowing that, their offer was that I could go buy the boxes for full price from a retailer and then we could talk. I presume I would've gotten their best new customer programming deal, but only after paying $700 to $800 for new boxes.

Needless to say, I went back to DirecTV...

19. DrummerBoy523

DrummerBoy523 Godfather

Jan 9, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    All depends on how long you've been with them IMO.

20. songkrai

songkrai Cool Member

Jul 7, 2010
    $10.00 off per monthly bill.

That's what they told me (and I get) for being a 'good' customer. Or loyalty discount.