Will Genie still work without internet connection?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by huzbo, Jan 4, 2018.

1. huzbo

huzbo Member

Feb 20, 2015
    MI
    AT&T is discontinuing ADSL service to our area. They do not offer AT&T internet or Uverse here either. Dialup will be our only option.
    How will this affect the DTV Genie setup that we just signed up for recently?

2. satinstallerguy

satinstallerguy Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Cleveland
    Of course..... You do not need Internet for the Genie to work, but you won't get on demand

3. Duke Sweden

Duke Sweden Active Member

Dec 4, 2017
    Doesn't Spectrum cover your area? I get my internet from them. Any cable company would do. You don't live in the mountains, do you?

4. huzbo

huzbo Member

Feb 20, 2015
    MI
    Not in the mountains but it is rural. No cable available in our town. We get our DSL service through a local ISP that we've had for 20 yrs, but it's provided through AT&T. I understand their reasons for moving ahead from DSL, but AT&T doesn't offer any of their wireless internet services here that they're replacing DSL with in other areas. It's like they're abandoning this area. They also intend to cut off our landline by 2020, so even dial-up won't be available.

5. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Sounds like you will have to get Hughes Net for internet if you want it. It is expensive but it is done with the satellite.

6. Duke Sweden

Duke Sweden Active Member

Dec 4, 2017
    Yikes! I'll bet it's really easy to get good moonshine though ;-) Seriously are you in Kentucky or something? I'm in a rural part of NC, in fact I had to get an amazingly athletic tech to climb around my roof to find a signal. But we have Spectrum here. If their PQ wasn't so bad I wouldn't have bothered to go to Directv. Their tech support has gotten atrocious. Anyway, watch out for bigfoots!