1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will HR21 playback recorded shows without being connected to the dish?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Indiana627, Sep 26, 2010.

1. Indiana627

Indiana627 Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    Will the HR21 playback recorded shows if it's not connected to the dish but is active on the account?

Also, can it record OTA via the AM21 if it's not connected to the dish? (Of course it wouldn't be getting guide data then would it? So it wouldn't know what to record. I guess that answers that question.)

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Generally, no. There are some tricky ways to enable playback without a satellite connection for a short time, but I don't think it's worth the bother. These DVRs are essentially boat anchors without an active satellite connection. Same for off-air recording using the AM21.

3. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    It may playback for about thirty days at which time it loses authorization and quits.

I can only assume that you have a need to watch the programs at a remote location where only OTA is available, right?

4. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    If the receiver starts up with a sat connection, but loses it, it will continue to work (i.e., play back recorded content) until its authorization expires, which means anywhere from a couple of days to about 30 days.

If it starts without a sat connection, you probably won't be able to do anything.

5. Indiana627

Indiana627 Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    I was asking because I may replace my HR21 with an HR24 but wanted to know if I could finish watching recorded content on the HR21 after I swap it out for the HR24.

6. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    You'll want to keep your HR21 connected and authorized until you've watched everything. Or copy its recordings to a DVD Recorder or VCR.