1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will I be able to watch the A's this season?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by tomloftus, Feb 21, 2009.

1. tomloftus

tomloftus New Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Ok- as spring training is upon us I am settling in for a gloriously long season of America's pastime... when suddenly I begin to ponder the off season dealings of one of our local teams.

I live in SF, and according to directv.com CSN Bay Area is my only RSN. I understand the A's have moved to CSN California (I don't begrudge them wanting a channel of their own). Does anyone have any info to CSN California being added to the Bay Area package? I also subscribe to MLB EI. If CSN CA is not added to the Bay Area package, will I be able to watch the A's games via EI? I am guessing not, because the A's are an in-market team for me.

I guess my question is... does anyone know if Directv subs in the SF Bay Area will be able to watch Oakland A's baseball games this season?

Any guidance is appreciated.

tom

2. Mariah2014

Mariah2014 Breaking the mold

Apr 21, 2006
    Somewhere...
    I believe this part of what directv and comcast are fighting over now. If they get an agreement ironed out, you should. mlb ei would be required to black them out since you are inside the Athletics tv territory.

3. sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork Icon

Aug 21, 2008
    I'd give it a few weeks, the deal was just announced last week. D* already has a deal in place with CSNCA,it's on channel 698. As I said on another post, according to Susan Slusser of the SF Chron all bay area viewers will get the channel minus those with Suddenlink and Astound. As has been said before, D* website isn't always the fastest to be updated.

4. tomloftus

tomloftus New Member

Nov 16, 2007
    i guess I'll keep my fingers crossed

5. Msguy

Msguy Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2003
    If you live in the A's home broadcast territory, then yes you will most definately get to watch almost every A's game on the new Comcast Sportsnet California that they will be carried on. To ensure that it would probably be a good idea to make sure you are subscribed to MLB Extra Innings.

6. BlackHitachi

BlackHitachi Godfather

Jan 1, 2004
    I don't know about everyone!? I know i have heard if you live in the bay yea! Use who live outside of the bay are not as lucky!

I live in Medford Oregon 97504, My home teams are Portland Trail Blazers for Basketball and the Oakland A's for Baseball. I cant get neither of these RSN's as of now! Even worse i can not even buy NBA LP or MLB EI and watch my teams either!!:nono2::mad: I am so sick Of COMCRAP!!:mad: My A's were on Fox sports Bay area, then it changed to Comcast sports net Bay Area.. Then this year my A's changed to Comcast California.. I was very happy i would get to see my team.. More games and more HD games!! So i sent Comcast and Directv a letter.. Well this is the letter i got back from Comcast California:

Thank you for contacting Comcast SportsNet regarding our coverage of the Oakland A’s. Beginning this season, the A’s have a new home on Comcast SportsNet California instead of Comcast SportsNet Bay Area. We have moved the A’s so sports fans in the region will be able to enjoy more baseball coverage than ever before, including televising 145 A’s games (37 more games than were available last season), nearly doubling the number of A’s games available in HD, and providing more extensive pre- and post-game coverage just for A’s fans. This change will also allow us to introduce the region’s most comprehensive local sports news on Comcast SportsNet Bay Area.

We are in discussions with DirecTV to provide uninterrupted delivery of our A’s coverage so fans can enjoy our coverage improvements. In the meantime you may wish to contact DirecTV directly to let them know you want to see Comcast SportsNet California’s A’s coverage on your lineup. In addition, please check www.csncalifornia.com for the most up-to-date information on A’s availability by television provider.

DirecTV: 1-800-DIRECTV.

Needless to say i am not happy at all!! I can't get my SHARKS, my BLAZERS, my A's!! What is next my RAIDERS!:nono2::(

7. gbubar

gbubar Legend

Feb 3, 2004
    tomloftus, I feel your pain. In seasons past when the A's where on Channel 36 I couldn't get the games. No 36 on my DTV lineup and I couldn't get it OTA. As I said I can feel your pain. Now with the team moving to CSNCA I should get all the televised games and I hope you do too.

8. sdk009

sdk009 Icon

Jan 19, 2007
    Kihei, Maui, HI
    This is from Bruce Jenkins' column from Saturdays SF Chronicle:

"For the many readers wondering about the HD angle to Comcast's new deals with the Giants and A's, there will be 75 HD telecasts for each team. The Giants' games (Comcast SportsNet Bay Area) will be on Comcast Cable 720 (Bay Area) and 920 (Central California), along with DirecTV channel 696-1 and Dish Network channel 419-HD. The A's (Comcast SportsNet California) will be on Comcast Cable 721 (Bay Area) and 921 (Central California), as well as DirecTV channel 698-1 and Dish Network channel 409-HD."

I get the impression from this column that the deal with D* is done.

9. Mariah2014

Apr 21, 2006
    Somewhere...
    The confusion is being caused by the fact that they are confusing the idea that directv carries csn california and csn bay area. As a result, they are assuming they will get all of the Athletics games without any new agreement. However, this is not the case. Directv has to come to a new agreement do to changes with both csn bay area and csn california. For example, when the Mariners first jumed the number of games on fsn northwest several carriers didn't carry the extra games beyond the number in their contracts with fsn northwest. They needed to reach a new agreement due to changes that were beyond the financial obligations in the old contract. Generally, you never hear about it because they come to terms without anything really happening. However, this time comcast wants an arm and a leg for certain channels beyond what was asked of them in the past.

10. Littledude

Littledude Legend

Aug 28, 2006
    Hmm. That is interesting. Before reading this, I thought that I was in the clear for the A's. I know that I get the channel (blacked out for the Kings of course). I didn't realize that Comcast was being such a pain. Since Comcast has taken over FSNBA, it has seemed that we have had more Warrior games than ever before (I can only watch if its in HD. I have sensitive eyes). I hope that they get everything settled before the season starts.

11. Mariah2014

Apr 21, 2006
    Somewhere...
    It comes down to how both sides want to handle it during the arbitration process. If they allow directv to have them during that process, then you should see know interuption of games. However, if they don't a different version of that station will be used by directv in the mean time.

12. love that tv

love that tv Legend

Jul 8, 2006
    i just love how the giants bully the A's around. They wont let them move to san jose, santa clara and now had them leave CSBA. i say just black out the A's games. :D

13. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003

You can watch the A's on KICU 36 in SD.

14. Mariah2014

Apr 21, 2006
    Somewhere...
    Athletics won't be on kicu this year. They moved the games to csn california.

15. love that tv

love that tv Legend

Jul 8, 2006
    WOW! action36 wont even play them. thats great!!!:lol:

16. sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork Icon

Aug 21, 2008
    Here is a quote from Susan Slusser in her A's notes on the Chron: "Every Bay Area broadcast and satellite service will receive the 147 games, I'm told, except possibly Astound, a cable service in Walnut Creek. The A's are advising Astound customers to take this up with Astound directly; the company is still in talks to carry the broadcasts but has not reached any agreements." **I also know customers of Suddenlink will be having this same issue...

17. BlackHitachi

BlackHitachi Godfather

Jan 1, 2004
    I sure hope we all will get it!

18. Mariah2014

Apr 21, 2006
    Somewhere...
    http://www.contracostatimes.com/sports/ci_11769407?source=rss
    A's facing TV shutout
    By John Ryan
    MediaNews staff
    Posted: 02/23/2009 05:59:00 PM PST
    Updated: 02/23/2009 05:59:57 PM PST

Six weeks from Opening Day, the A's have a potentially major off-field issue they have no power to solve.

As of now, nobody can say for certain that their 145 televised regular-season games will be available to hundreds of thousands of DirecTV subscribers in the Bay Area. Comcast SportsNet and DirecTV could negotiate a deal, but it would replace — or at least temporarily set aside — tense negotiations over millions of dollars in rights fees.

Earlier this month, the A's announced a switch from CSN Bay Area to Sacramento-based CSN California, promoting it as a bright new era in which they'll have more games televised than ever before and will have 75 of those games available in high-definition. But DirecTV officials indicated that although they carry the station on Channel 698, they haven't agreed to carry the games and don't officially know the A's have switched stations.

Tim Fitzpatrick, CSN's vice president of public relations, said, "We are making the games available for distribution to their customers. There's nothing on our end that prohibits DirecTV from carrying the games. We can't make them carry those games, but there's nothing on our end that prevents them."

Robert Mercer, DirecTV's director of public relations, says there has been no such offer. In fact, he says DirecTV has received no word of the shift under the terms of the contract. "If that's their plan and they provide us with official notification, we'll

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Advertisement
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    certainly talk to them about it," he said.

So the sides can't agree on whether they're talking. And the A's are a small bargaining chip in a huge battle over rights fees for CSN Bay Area, the essential station for sports fans.

"I have total trust in what Comcast is doing, and I believe that there is a little bit of gamesmanship going on between both parties right now because they are in negotiations," said Ken Pries, the A's vice president of broadcasting. "This is part of normal negotiations. Things get a little difficult before a decision is made."

DirecTV's contract with CSN Bay Area ended Dec. 31. DirecTV has sent notice of its intent to file for binding arbitration with the Federal Communications Commission over Comcast's demand for a 40 percent rate increase. (CSN California could fold into these negotiations because its contract ends this year.) Neither side would disclose financial details or its subscriber numbers. But Derek Baine, an analyst at research firm SNL Kagan, estimates that DirecTV was paying $1.91 per month per subscriber for CSNBA. A 40 percent increase would represent an additional $9.17 per year.

If the Bay Area matches DirecTV's national 15 percent market share, that would be 360,000 of 2.4 million Bay Area households.

On the back of this napkin, Comcast wants $3.3 million more of DirecTV's money.

These standoffs often end at the last minute. But sometimes, they don't end.

Perhaps the most relevant example is in Portland, where Comcast bought a station and re-branded it as CSN Northwest two years ago. The channel — the home of the NBA's Portland Trail Blazers — remains unavailable on DirecTV.

If both sides are willing to use the immensely popular Blazers as a pawn, they wouldn't be scared about doing it to the low-profile A's.

19. BlackHitachi

BlackHitachi Godfather

Jan 1, 2004
    I am so sick of comcast!! Oh well at least the KID is back in Seattle!! I still have FOX SPORTS NORTH WEST!! At least they still know how to do business!!:nono2:

20. sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork Icon

Aug 21, 2008
    I read this article in the paper this morning, sounds like we have a bit of a p**** match between two people. Hopefully in the end things workout and we don't have a repeat of CSN Northwest. I am not a huge A's fan but I do watch the games. Reading the article it sounds like maybe the plans are to merge CSN CA and CSN BA into more or less one network.