Will NBC Universal #625?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by jkirk, Jan 21, 2015.

1. jkirk

jkirk AllStar

Jan 26, 2007
    Guys, will this ever be in HD??

Thanks in advance

jk

2. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    yes

no

maybe

we can only hope

Until DirecTV and NBC/Universal announce an agreement for the channel in HD, your guess is as good as anyone's

3. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    Sadly, it doesn't seem to be a priority to NBC/Universal/Comcast. Comcast doesn't even carry it locally at all....

4. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    NBCU is only a minority owner via a licensing agreement, the day to day operations and affiliate relations are handled by their majority owner InterMedia Partners.

Last year a lot of On Demand content for Universal Sports became available on channel 1625, so perhaps an agreement is in place and it will be part of the new wave of HD channels after D14 goes live.

5. fleckrj

fleckrj Icon

Sep 4, 2009
    Cary, NC
    Eventually it will be in HD, but it might not be until 2016.

6. John Strk

John Strk Legend

Oct 16, 2009
    Really disappointed with Directv for not having Universal Sports in HD by now! Leader in sports? Really? It's 2015 for crying out loud!

Is this the only channel in Sports Pack that is still in SD? I'm missing out on some exciting Alpine races every weekend. And I can't even watch the events on Universal Sports's website anymore after logging in as my provider since I do not subscribe to the overpriced Sports Pack. Thinking about adding a few months subscription of DishWorld channel to my Roku so I can watch Universal Sports in HD until the Alpine season is over. :mad:

7. stoutman

stoutman Godfather

Feb 8, 2003
    There are a host of channels which will go HD when the new bird goes live. I would bet the farm this is one. They have been waiting for additional capacity.

8. fleckrj

fleckrj Icon

Sep 4, 2009
    Cary, NC
    I agree, but I am not sure where Universal Sports will fall in the priority list. Even though D14 will provide additional capacity, it is not like DirecTV will be able to have all additional channels added at one time. Everything that is on DirecTV and offered in HD is likely to be in HD by the end of 2016, but I do not know if Universal Sports will be one of the first to be added (I hope so - Universal Sports and Esquire are the only currently carried channels that are on my wish list that are not already in HD) or one of the last.

9. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    Does anyone besides Fios have Universal in HD? I can't get to the avsforum list at work.

10. John Strk

John Strk Legend

Oct 16, 2009
    Centurylink Prism TV carries it in HD and it's not in a sports pack.

I'm going to try a free 48hr trial of the DishWorld channel on Roku this weekend to see how the HD quality is. According to their website they carry this channel in HD and I can subscribe to their sports package for only $10 a month. If the quality is good, I might commit to 4 months so I can get a newer Roku 3 for 50% off price.
    http://www.dishworld.com/sports

11. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    I'd give it bit to see if it is added after D14 is fully operational. That should happen in a few weeks, though it may take until the end of February or early March before they've added all the HD channels they're going to add right away. If it isn't added by then, it probably will be some time and seeking another provider is the best thing if having this channel in HD is that important to you.

12. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    It is interesting that, at one point, DirecTV was the only carrier of Universal Sports. When they dropped the subchannel route.

13. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    The new bird will give them 16 nee transponders equating to roughly 80 Hi Definition channels give or take a few depending on particular bandwidth for any given channel. (Probably more not less).

So they will have a lot of space. Even if they more the 59 sd channels off 95 they still have 50 Hi Definition channels roughly I believe.

14. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    80 HD channels....

Oh boy.

So basically, they could carry virtually all of the channels that they are lacking in HD (including HSN, TBN, Daystar, the other TCT in HD)that have HD content. There's probably room to add several SD channels, like MTV Hits, Qubo, ion-Life, HSN2 that are SD-only that we don't have. Are there still premiums missing feeds? Add those, too. They could even start to negotiate with MeTV and others to add a national feed, like they have for Ion and WeatherNation. I realize the last wish there is difficult with local stations having rights already.

15. slice1900

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    The mirror of 95 will only require three transponders. But don't forget mirroring all the content on 119 which will require another four, and perhaps a few transponders used for 4K testing.

Still, even if they only dedicate 6 or 7 transponders to additional HD that's 30-40 channels. How many full time channels can people even list that either aren't carried but Directv is likely to carry, or are carried but don't have HD today and have HD available, and have an audience of more than a couple thousand people so they're worth bothering with?

16. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    I don't know if they mirror 119 off this sat. I'd say maybe that will be on d15. But that sat is a real question mark. I do believe they will want to get everything off 95 right away. Course could easily be completely wrong. Time will tell. But with the lnb13 coming soon it just seems like it's going to happen.

And I expect that universal Hi Definition and many others will launch fast and in a flood. I just don't expect them to add one at a time for months on end. I also don't expect them to use every inch of space either but then again maybe they will by filling in anything not used by a channel with more PPV.

17. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Sportsman and Outdoor channels?

18. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    There are a few SD channels...

TVG, Pursuit, Sportsman, Outdoor Channel, Fox College Sports (no HD available), ESPN Classic (which is going away and be a VOD-only service), and Universal Sports. These are mostly SD but have some content in HD on a -1 channel: Fox Soccer Plus (which is a separate charge of $15), FS Ohio, FS Cin.

If you count Directv Deportes, also a separate charge, but only 1/3 of just FS+ at $5: TyC, Fox Deportes, and Gol TV are SD.

19. slice1900

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    The only new bandwidth added by D15 is RDBS, and I'm willing to bet that is never used for anything but 4K. I also wouldn't be shocked if the SWM 13 LNB never goes into wide distribution.

As far as we can tell, it is just the same 10 year old KaKu design. Yeah, it is easy to add RDBS to that (and possibly despite what WNC said the SWM 13 does RDBS) but there is a lot of opportunity to modernize some things if they do a clean sheet redesign. For example, you don't need the wide oval dish if you no longer receive 110/119. You don't need to make the dish larger to allow for "soft focus" to make aiming easier if you do something to make it easy to aim, or use electronic beamforming so you only need to aim it within a few degrees.

20. fleckrj

fleckrj Icon

Sep 4, 2009
    Cary, NC
    I guess it depends on what one considers to be fast. I agree that I do not expect it to be one at a time for months on end, but I do not think it is going to be 40 in one or two months, either. I think three or four every two weeks is about the best we can expect, and even that is being optimistic. Three or four per month might be more realistic.