1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will OTA work on un-activated HR20?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by jsevinsk, Oct 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jsevinsk

jsevinsk DBSTalk Club Member

Sep 14, 2006
    I have an HR20 that I haven't activated yet because the new dish can't be installed in the current location because it is blocked by trees. It's working just fine with the old round dish, picking up the usual "free" channels. I'm not going to activate it until OTA is turned on, or I get around to finding a good spot for the new dish. So, if OTA gets turned on first, will I be able to see the OTA channels before I activate the HR20?

2. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    No, the unit will not work without activation service.

3. jsevinsk

jsevinsk DBSTalk Club Member

Sep 14, 2006
    Will it at least tell me that it's picking up some OTA signals?

4. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    Yes, you can use the signal meter without active service.

5. naijai

naijai Hall Of Fame

Aug 19, 2006
    For regular satellite signals but not for the OTA tuner until its enabled on the receiver

6. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    I just tried it on my H20 with the access card removed, and I was able to use the OTA signal meter.

7. Newshawk

Newshawk Hall Of Fame

Sep 3, 2004
    Broken...
    There are actually two parts to your question, but both of them are "No." First off, the HR20 OTA tuners have not been activated at this time. They will be activated with a software download that will occur within the next two months. However, the current crop of D* HD receivers (H20 and HR20) will not allow you to use them for OTA reception only. It's not in the guided setup menu, and if you try to activate the OTA and then disconnect the receiver from your account you wil get an error message (along the lines of 750 or 751) that tells you you cannot use the OTA tuners with an unactivated/disconnected receiver. If you're wondering why the change, I think it's because D* got tired of selling HD receivers at below cost and seeing them used only for their OTA tuners. These are satellite receivers, not OTA receivers, after all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.