Will pandemic impact boost or hurt (new) streaming services

Discussion in 'Internet Streaming Services' started by phrelin, Mar 28, 2020.

1. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Deadline Hollywood raises a question in Dare To Stream: Quibi, Peacock & HBO Max Ready Launches As Economy Staggers But TV Viewership Skyrockets:

The question is, with three million jobs lost just last week, will streaming services become luxury goods in a recession, and will consumers, whose income has been hit or put at risk by the coronavirus pandemic be willing to add another monthly bill for a new SVOD service.​

Given the job losses and business income shrinkage we're seeing here, I suspect that more folks will sign up for free introductory periods of new subscriptions while dropping existing ones.

satcrazy likes this.
  2. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    The peacock network may do very well....

3. NYDutch

NYDutch DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Dec 28, 2013
    I expect the free ad-supported services like Pluto, Stirr, etc. will see the best long term retention of new subscribers not surprisingly. The pay services will see an initial boost through the free trial periods, but long term will likely drop off significantly when the bills need to be paid. It'll be interesting to see who the winners and losers are long term though.

satcrazy likes this.
  4. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    Just signed up for free month of CBS All Access. The idea of getting CBS Evening News in just 21 minutes and Sunday Morning in one hour with no commercials appeals to me. So do some of the shows they have, including the first two seasons of Gunsmoke.

5. satcrazy

satcrazy Icon

Mar 15, 2011
    Great...
    When workers at home realize streaming can cost money and they will have to budget for other essentials, the novelty will wear thin. Right now it's about "distraction".
    I've just added France24 and Euro-news app on my Roku for free. Roku's "News on" app gives you a menu of all fifty states to peruse with some having a large selection of cities. I love the ability to go to Hawaii to see how they are fairing with this crisis. While these apps would not entertain the kids, they keep you informed. I just saw today there was an app for Warner bros "looney Tunes" cartoon channel on roku. The little kids would love Bugs & friends. I did. That probably isn't free though.

6. 1948GG

1948GG Icon

Aug 4, 2007
    The biggest question to me and to lots of folks if the messages and comments on many platforms are asking, what excuse are the ISP's going to use some 2+ months from now, seeing that a lot of them have dropped their data caps and are having no problem whatsoever carrying the increased traffic load; I'm way out on the rural edge of comcasts territory, with a neighborhood fiber terminal 2-3 blocks away, and have had gigabit service (at a price almost twice that of urban customers so no thanks). Just in the last 6 months 3 lte wireless companies have made moves to provide home internet in my area, but the one that may make the difference (tmobile) is holding back for now (their tower is less than half a mile from me, as are att/verizon/uscellular which are the 3 already trying to sell it but they aren't competing much so far; I might add that both verizon and tmobile already have 5g, with tmobile upgrading to 600mhz a couple months ago).

But if comcast (and others) would drop their $50/month fee for usage above 1gigabyte permanent, and also increase their upstream speeds a bit or more, then it might be able to stay in business once Starlink or more of the cell providers ramp up and gets going (many of which are touting upload speeds equal to or at a large percentage of the download). The clock is ticking, let's see if they can use this as a reason to eliminate the caps for good.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
  7. 1948GG

1948GG Icon

Aug 4, 2007
    Back in the day (30 years) when I was spending my life living out of a suitcase and on airplanes, I've been using News On for a long time to jump to a city around the country, esp. when they get hit by some event, where I had spent x weeks or months rebuilding or installing new telecom infrastructure and the like. Good deal.

satcrazy likes this.
  8. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    The Internet is already show some signs of strain as usage is on unprecedented levels. In Europe, the standard resolution for the streaming services and YouTube is now Standard Definition. Playstation downloads are also being throttled.

9. 1948GG

1948GG Icon

Aug 4, 2007
    I think this will very shortly prove to be an over-reaction of biblical proportions. I helped design and build a fair portion of the trans European backbone some 20 years ago, and have kept up with the improvements ever since, and the infrastructure remains far in advance of that in the US, from those inter-country links down to the users. If some of these streaming services are making quality squeezes it shows that they underestimated the local bandwidth needs they were willing to purchase to their hubs, and/or failed to build out their hub infrastructure across the continent.

I've seen no slowdowns across the US at all, then again the nearest AWS and other facilities are some 120 miles from me, but I utilize a cloud service (24/7) that is quite literally on the other side of the country from my current location, and any wobbles I'll instantly see from the amount of data I transfer, from seattle to San Francisco to salt lake city to denver to kansas city to chicago to Cleveland to d.c. to eastern Virginia.

Again, I don't think folks have any conception of the really mind numbing amount of bandwidth that exists today crossing the continents.

mjwagner likes this.
  10. mjwagner

mjwagner Icon

Oct 8, 2005
    LOL...most peoples minds would be blown if they ever toured a high end cloud computing facility, not to mention a full on IT backup/disaster recovery site...

11. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I believe the European cutbacks were a show of faith by Netflix and the other streamers. I'd like to see actual usage charts (usage vs capacity) before declaring that their Internet is in actual trouble. There may be levels where the pipes are not big enough - but we are also dealing with countries where government control is stronger.

I hope we do not have actual problems in the US. I should probably run a daily speed test each morning to see if there is any effect. I worked from home every day last week, spending part of the day at work four days (some things cannot be done remotely). Tomorrow is another day I need to physically be on site (probably the next three days - but not at the main site). The only people having Internet issues at my workplace are those who had poor Internet before COVID (1 Mbps wireless from prepaid companies that will probably drop in speed when their monthly maximum is hit).

12. AngryManMLS

AngryManMLS Active Member

Jan 30, 2014
    MN
    Go into your account and under the option to enter in a code put in ENJOY and you'll get another free month on top of the one you got right now!

treecastle and wmb like this.
  13. 1948GG

1948GG Icon

Aug 4, 2007
    The AWS and other data centers serving the Pacific northwest in Quincy WA are jaw dropping, but I've been many times to the Tyson Corners area of eastern Virginia where one can drive for miles after miles of huge data centers from every company one can imagine. Not to forget places like Richardson TX and even Lynnwood WA where companies like Rackspace run server plants rented by the square foot to all comers.

I'm originally an old microwave/satellite engineer who transitioned to fiber in the early 80's after I got my graduate degree; we thought 140mb/s async was top stuff, such speeds are hardly worth mentioning to residences these days, when trans-oceanic links are hitting well over 150Tb/s and continental land speed records are 2000Tb/s. But I'm retired, who knows what it will be by the time I'm planted. The most interesting stuff in the near future will be with SpaceX Starlink, so things are coming back around where they started, as the telcos pretty much squandered FTTH the last 30 years.

B. Shoe likes this.
  14. mjwagner

mjwagner Icon

Oct 8, 2005
    Retired here too. Started my career as a final systems test technician on mainframes in 1979. Ended my career 36 years later in corporate cloud computing strategy...many jobs/careers in between, all with the same company...it was a great ride!

B. Shoe likes this.
  15. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Well, so I read your post and thought would this work for someone who has been a subscriber for awhile. So I went into my account under the option to enter in a coupon code put in ENJOY and my next bill went from April 17 to May 17. WOW! Thanks!

AngryManMLS likes this.
  16. AngryManMLS

AngryManMLS Active Member

Jan 30, 2014
    MN
    Always glad to help out. I just forwarded this info to a few friends who either pay month to month or yearly and they all got an free month.

17. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    I subscribe yearly. I tried it and it said: This code is not valid. Please try again.

18. paranoia

paranoia DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Jun 12, 2014
    New England
    worked for me,and I have had it for a long time,but I do pay monthly.thanks for the info.

19. 1948GG

1948GG Icon

Aug 4, 2007
    Great Ars Technica article asking the penultimate question of our time, why don't these gready broadband companies eliminate data caps since they have done so for two months and the internet and their private networks haven't crashed and burned, like they've been warning it would for decades.

Of course, in the case of Comcast and others, where it faces actual competition from other providers that have no service caps, and in many cases much faster (and cheaper) lines, they have never had caps. Dispite pronouncements to the contrary, if schemes like SpaceX Starlink with its everywhere footprint, or wireless 5g upstarts like tmobile home internet, will take them and their stock valuations to the woodshed in the coming couple of years.

20. 1948GG

1948GG Icon

Aug 4, 2007
    Several blogs and industry web sites have come to the conclusion after a good month plus of uncapped service nationwide that, at most, data transmission has increased some 25%, and only the most lagging systems out there (west virginia and Frontier come to mind) are showing problems, but that infrastructure is 40 years old at best. I have seen no problems at all even on heavy transcontinental data transfers running almost 24x7, and no transmission wobbles on the major internet based streams from netflix, hulu, prime, or disney, even ad supported like Pluto.