Will people stay home watching more TV because of COVID-19?

Discussion in 'The OT' started by phrelin, Mar 7, 2020.

1. Mar 7, 2020 #1 of 65
    phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    It seems like there are few business activities that could benefit from a pandemic, but TV might. As we see stories of more and more events being canceled, employers telling their employees to work from home, Stanford University having professors post lectures online so students stay away from classrooms, etc., will we also see a rise in TV viewing and ratings?

2. Mar 7, 2020 #2 of 65
    TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Maybe. I think it depends on where you’re at. I just got back from hiking and everyone is out and about living their lives normally. I don’t know.

3. Mar 7, 2020 #3 of 65
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Teleschooling is being talked about. That should be interesting. I can't wait to see how that affects Sadie.

Rich

4. Mar 7, 2020 #4 of 65
    MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    I'm not concerned. I'm convinced when I die the coroner will rule the cause of my death as acute aggravation.

compnurd and TheRatPatrol like this.
  5. Mar 7, 2020 #5 of 65
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Schools in my area have regular eLearning days to allow for staff in service meetings. They also use them for snow closing days. With state mandated attendance, schools cannot afford to give kids as many days off as they once did. Cancelling holidays and adding make up days at the end of the year has lost acceptance. Homework and sick days have also been moved to eLearning.

It is hard to stay six feet away from every other person and not touch surfaces other people have touched and go out in to the world for work and play. Limiting trips to only what is required is a good idea.

6. Mar 7, 2020 #6 of 65
    phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    At this point in time where you are located is significant. And generally age and ongoing health issues are going to be significant.

A really enlightening news story in Sonoma County offers insight into what some folks have gone through. A few dozen went on that cruise to Mexico and then came home, all with no knowledge that something might be wrong. Also local health officials were not aware of the problem.

Still despite most being older, only two ended up in the hospital. From the article:

Once home, the fun turned to sickness and ongoing worries they either had or still are contagious with coronavirus. They had coughs and colds. They had digestive problems. They had fevers. One woman said her lungs hurt terribly. Others returned healthy.

Suzi Schultz of Santa Rosa assumed the body aches and fever were a case of strep throat.

Even though she has fully recovered, Schultz, like a group of local residents who took that leisurely voyage Feb. 11 to Feb. 21 from San Francisco to Mexico, now view what they thought were common illnesses from a new, scarier perspective.​

Elementary schools present a special problem. For many kids, a day off is a day with grandma. The risk of serious symptoms for kids is minimal. Grandma on the other hand could end up dead.

The reality is, of course, that this virus is no worse than a flu variation. It's weird how we seem to ignore this:

[​IMG]

Still, I do wonder if Friday night and weekend viewing numbers will go up until we see how COVID-19 plays out. (I find it hard to use the coronavirus term as while the most frequent cause of a common cold is the rhinovirus, the second most common cause is the human coronavirus.)

7. Mar 7, 2020 #7 of 65
    reubenray

reubenray Godfather

Jun 26, 2002
    I will be taking a 7,000 miles, three month long trip in my motorhome as planned.

SamC likes this.
  8. Mar 7, 2020 #8 of 65
    James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I hope you are right. COVID-19 is new enough that we don't have the statistics to minimize the impact.

CDC: Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)

9. Mar 8, 2020 #9 of 65
    TheRatPatrol

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    I just took my mom grocery shopping and although it wasn’t that crowded everyone was out and about doing their thing, no one had masks on, but everyone was wiping down the carts.

I’ve been wearing rubber gloves when getting gas.

10. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Hasn’t kept me from doing anything....

11. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Gotta be a fatalist about this, either gonna get it and deal with it or miss it and have no worries. No other choices that I see. Be interesting, once this is over, to see how many people that followed the suggestions got it anyway. If that's even possible.

Rich

TheRatPatrol likes this.
  12. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    Inspite of my Type 2 diabetes, I'm still a "bugs bites me and they die" person. Even if I do get sick - it is for less time and less severity than most people.

13. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I wasn't taking a survey, but I saw one person in Chicago wearing a surgical mask. They were getting out of a rideshare at Chicago Union Station. Otherwise it seemed to be a normal day.

14. TheRatPatrol

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Anyone overly concerned about the stock market?

15. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    No lol IMO it was way overvalued to begin with and it needed brought back to reality. That being said there is not a liquidity issue. Until there is I dont see a problem other then sticker shock

16. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Yes and no. I went through the 2001 and 2007-09 recession periods, so I expect to see this kind of periodic plunge. I frowned when all those recent huge unfounded gains disappeared.

Since 2008 I've gradually shifted a significant portion of our portfolio into California municipal bond closed end funds shares which really shouldn't fluctuate with the market but do. Essentially the underlying bond values are constant and the income is more-or-less fixed above 4%. But today because buyers were few and far between, most of the funds share market prices fell about 1.5% and some significantly more. But none fell like AT&T and Pepsi.

The unknown is always scary, I guess. In truth, based on anecdotal information I'm getting from people and media in the North Coast counties here in California, a lot more people likely have already been infected with COVID-19 and many are "over it".

In There Is a ‘Tipping Point’ Before Coronavirus Kills the explanation is pretty clear:

The new coronavirus causes little more than a cough if it stays in the nose and throat, which it does for the majority of people unlucky enough to be infected. Danger starts when it reaches the lungs.

One in seven patients develops difficulty breathing and other severe complications, while 6% become critical. These patients typically suffer failure of the respiratory and other vital systems, and sometimes develop septic shock, [resulting in death}.

About 10-15% of mild-to-moderate patients progress to severe and of those, 15-20% progress to critical. Patients at highest risk include people age 60 and older and those with pre-existing conditions such as hypertension, diabetes and cardiovascular disease.​

Since most severe cases occur in non-productive old people like me, it would seem like we would see economic impacts like an annual flu season with a higher than usual death rate. But given our current consumer economy structure dependent upon a smoothly operating international supply chain, there is going to be noticeable impacts.

Those impacts were exacerbated today by temper tantrums in the Russia/Saudi "disagreement" over oil production.

And, of course, the news media exacerbate every bad news story.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
  17. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
  18. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    I'm planning to watch a Netflix movie today, but that's because it's raining, not the virus.

19. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
  20. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Stay home and watch some basketball ...
    NCAA to Hold March Madness Without Fans in Attendance Due to Coronavirus

March Madness without fans is now a reality.

The NCAA announced Wednesday that it will follow the lead of other sporting events and restrict fan access to its signature event, the men’s basketball tournament, due to the coronavirus outbreak. All other winter sports championships, including the women’s basketball tournament, will be under the same restriction.

"I have made the decision to conduct our upcoming championship events, including the Division I men’s and women’s basketball tournaments, with only essential staff and limited family in attendance" NCAA president Mark Emmert said in a statement.