1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will PIP ever be implemented?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by matty8199, Mar 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. matty8199

matty8199 Icon

Dec 4, 2005
    Before anyone chimes in with "no because it would require a way to switch between the tuners," I realize that...I'm asking if it's on the list of things D* will eventually implement with the R15. It'd be nice to be able to use PIP with two satellite sources rather than only being able to use one SAT and one OTA...

2. Clint Lamor

Clint Lamor Hall Of Fame

Nov 15, 2005
    Actually a switch between the two tuners with dual buffers is something they are looking into. Would be pretty cool to see that added, but I doubt we would see it added until at least the rumored new hardware is out.

3. morgantown

morgantown Icon

Nov 15, 2005
    Don't hold your breath. In order to provide PIP the box would have to be capable of display/output two feeds at the same time. Not really as much about buffering as it is about providing two outputs at the same time, which this box is not capable (nor are the DirecTiVos).

The Home Media Center would be the closest thing to accomplish you goal. Even then most likely it would require a thin client just for the PIP. You also got to think about how many would simply route the video to another room and negatively effect DTV's mirroring/leasing revenue.

You can to it with two receivers (which is not your question, or desire I suspect).

4. walters

walters Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    That would be required to use your TV's PIP feature, but as far as I know, there is no hardware limitation preventing a fully in-box implementation (like UltimateTV).

5. morgantown

morgantown Icon

Nov 15, 2005
    Fair enough. The box "might" be capable but DTV would rather receive an extra $5 a month...:D

6. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Until they develop a box with 2 mpeg decoders, PIP will not be possible. I believe the only box that had 2 mpeg decoders was the UTV....Remember that without 2 mpeg decoders this is not even possible...the only reason you can get it to work with 1 sat tuner, and the OTA tuner, is the OTA doesnt require the use of a second mpeg decoder....

7. walters

walters Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    Except that the ST chip inside the R15 (which includes the CPU and MPEG decoding on one chip) can decode two MPEG streams simultaneously.

8. DesignDawg

DesignDawg Legend

Jan 7, 2006
    OOOOH. Snazzle.

9. Bobman

Bobman Hall Of Fame

Jan 3, 2006
    How does Dish manage PIP ? I saw they have something like this.

10. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    Same way the UTV does it...

Multiple decoders (or a multi-stream decoder) that blends the image back to gether for an output signal.

I personally would rather not see the PIP technology added to the recievers, simply because it woulld drive the cost up for EVERYONE...
    And the greater majority of TV's out there have PIP technology built in, and just need the second source.

Have a 2nd output feed would be nice... but it is the balance game between common features and power features.

To me... and something I have just gotten used to.
    I have a 2nd DVR in my main viewing area, for the days I "must" use PIP.
    Side effect... I have 4 tuners in my main viewing area, and thus have 99% no conflicts (I have a 3rd HD tuner H20 for those rare occasions)

11. Clint Lamor

Clint Lamor Hall Of Fame

Nov 15, 2005
    Someone watches a LOT of TV. :lol:

12. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    I'll tell ya what....

I certainly do watch a lot of TV.
    And more then I did 5 years ago, when I got my first DVR...

However, I do a WHOLE lot more with my life now, because I don't depend on the networks deciding when "I" have to watch TV.

Most of my watching is between 9pm and Midnight, and I get a good 4+ hours f watching into that 3ish hour window.

Hence why my argument that I think the "nielsen" ratings are bogus... As I watch 3 shows that all air at the same time.....

13. ISWIZ

ISWIZ Icon

Nov 18, 2005
    My wife and I talk about that all the time. We watch a lot more shows in the same time we used to "pre-DVR". Depending on the shows (reality and sports are the best) you can watch a 2 hour show in an hour and 15 minutes. That's the only problem with HBO, an hour is usually a true hour.

14. cabanaboy1977

cabanaboy1977 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Agreed, I don't see how they can track the ratings when alot of people out there aren't watch shows live or recording more then on program at a time. That's part of the reason I still leave the R15 hooked to the phone lines, just incase they deside to check what I'm watching.

15. gimme5

gimme5 Legend

Jan 27, 2006
    regarding a PIP feature, I think it is feasible. Isn't it pretty much the same thing as what they're doing with the mix channels?

16. walters

walters Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    No, the mix channels are being sent that way over the satellite.

17. gimme5

gimme5 Legend

Jan 27, 2006
    Got it. Thanks for the clarification.

18. Clint Lamor

Clint Lamor Hall Of Fame

Nov 15, 2005
    Same here, I save a bunch of stuff up and watch it late at night. Soon I willneed more once I get the SlingBox so I can watch stuff while out of town. :lol:

19. bfkidd

bfkidd Cool Member

Dec 4, 2005
    Before I got the R15, I figured PIP would certainly be one of the features. It made obvious sense to me that with 2 inputs a no brainer feature would be PIP over the standard window, like when you pull up the guide.

I am a bit disappointed to see that this probably will never be implemented. It's been 4 months and this is the first thread on the subject so it doesn't appear to be at the top of most people's list. Oh, and it shouldn't take two outputs to a TV to do it.

I did just now look at the dish dvr and it seems that their box does it.

20. morgantown

morgantown Icon

Nov 15, 2005
    Just curious, how many outputs does the Dish DVR use to enable PIP?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.