1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

will refurbished HDDVR give me a new 2 yr contract

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by bhigh8, Jul 18, 2012.

1. bhigh8

bhigh8 Legend

Oct 4, 2006
    So I had the whole home DVR put in and they switched a HD receiver with a HD-DVR. this caused to have new 2 yr contract. then I got some old beat up receiver. it works so i dont mind. just wanted to know if i should have got an old refurb.

Thanks for your help.

2. wahooq

wahooq New Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    sounds like it

3. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    Yep, you upgraded from an HD receiver to an HD-DVR, that means a new 2 year contract. As far as getting a refurb HD-DVR, that is just the luck of the draw, you get whatever the tech has on his truck, sometimes it's new stuff, sometimes it's refurbs. As long as it works DirecTV gave you what they said they would give you.

Cable companies do the same thing, very rarely will you get a brand new box from the cable company, you will usually get a used box that someone else turned back in before you. At least with DirecTV they try to keep their equipment somewhat up to date. Comcast gev emy parents an HD-DVR with a hard drive in it that can only hold about 20 hours of HD, and say they don't have any with bigger hard drives in their town.

4. bhigh8

bhigh8 Legend

Oct 4, 2006
    the bad thing about it was i didnt really need another hd-dvr just to have the whole home dvr did I. i used to have 3 HD-dvrs and one HD receiver. and they said i needed another HD-DVR for it to work.

sounded fishy but i went with it.

5. HarleyD

HarleyD Hall Of Fame

Aug 31, 2006
    Were you charged for the equipment upgrade?

Not that it makes any difference to extending the commitment. Just looking for a bright spot.

6. raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
    Cable companies don't require you to incur a two year contract for the pleasure of leasing a refurbished DVR, so no, cable companies do not do the same thing.

7. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    No they charge you a high monthly rental fee for as long as you have service with them instead.

8. raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
    Not here they don't. Monthly fee is $7 per HD DVR with the local provider. About the same as D*.

No upfront cost and no contract.

9. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    Here's the thing. You're not their subscriber right? Why is that?

Is there a chance that the cable provider has less liberty when it comes to fees/contracts because they offer a less attractive service, with poorer equipment?

10. raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
    Sunday Ticket is the primary reason (there are other things I prefer about D* but they are not show stoppers that would prevent me from switching) Total price per month of my local cable is within a few dollars of D* (comparing a similar package and not including any first year deals).

But that isn't what I was addressing. I was addressing the belief that D*'s ludicrous 2 year contract for refurbished equipment that you have to drop $99-$199 for is somehow balanced out because cable charges higher monthly fees. That is not true in my area. I cannot speak to other areas.

11. markfp

markfp Legend

Mar 9, 2010
    Actually, more and more cable companies are requiring two-year contracts for more advance equipment. I know the Time-Warner around here is. If you just want a basic DVR, probably not, but if you want their version of the whole house most likely.

12. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    They also do it to get better pricing. A coworker actually had to renew a contract just to move service to his new house.

And of course at least some cable companies charge a DVR fee per DVR, not per account.

13. Xsabresx

Xsabresx Icon

Oct 8, 2007
    Here Time Warner charges $17/mo for an HD DVR

14. bixler

bixler Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2008
    PA
    Same here with Comcast. I have 3 HD DVRs with Directv...:eek2::eek2:

15. MarkG21

MarkG21 AllStar

Jan 3, 2010
    I just checked out my comcast bill (have both but I pay for D*). We pay $17 plus $8.75 outlet fee for $25.75 for one hd dvr. We would have another dvr but that would be $51.50. My parents would love to have three dvrs but......

16. bhigh8

bhigh8 Legend

Oct 4, 2006
    so back to my original question. could i have just had whole home DVR with 3HD-DVRs and one HD recevier? i didnt really need the 4 HD-dvrs to do this did I?

i will say they gave me a HR24 and its way better than the junk i have. all 22's

17. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Yes, whole home will work just fine with any mix of H and HR devices (with the exception of the H20).

18. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    What 22s did you have? If they were R22s then they weren't technically HD-DVRs and the DirecTV computer system wouldn't let them turn on Whole Home DVR without getting a true HD-DVR (HR2x models).

If they were HR22s then no you shouldn't have had to change any of your receivers, but now that you did there is no going back. Even if you were to return the HR24 you would still be stuck with the 24 month agreement because it was activated on your account.

19. bhigh8

bhigh8 Legend

Oct 4, 2006
    beerstalker....i bet thats what it was. i would prefer not to have the contract but i will be with Directv two yrs from now. im pleased with them. i would love to get more HR24s. its way better than my other 3 HR22s. all mine are horrible.