1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will SD receivers work if partial upgrade to HD

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by iceburg501, Jan 6, 2012.

1. iceburg501

iceburg501 New Member

Jan 6, 2012
    I have search the forum and found similar answers for DirecTV.

Considering upgrading DISH NETWORK SD receivers (I have 4). I want to upgrade 2 receivers to HD and leave 2 SD (there used by my parents and they dont want re-learn how to use).

Once Dish Network upgrades my satelite will my SD receivers continue to function as they are ?

I live in Pittsburgh, PA

Thanks in advance.

2. tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    Short answer, Yes. If they work now they will work then with the only assumption you are not going from the Western Arc to the Eastern Arc, and you presently get or can get all three satellites. (Two if Eastern Arc) There should be no reason to change Arc's since your locals are in HD on both.

3. BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
    Basic operations of Dish receivers is pretty consistent across the model line until you get to the 922. The main extra features of the HD receivers are stretch modes for SD channels, OTA reception (optional on some), and optional use of an external drive, with the rest being in initial setup. IOW, not difficult to learn.

4. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    If you are using Western Arc (110, 119, and 129) - there is nothing that technically would prevent you from using mixed SD and HD receivers.

If you are using Eastern Arc (61.5, 72.7, and 77) , however - that will mean all receivers will need to be converted to VIP models.

5. tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    Do you mean if he changes to the EA? If so I did say that. But if he is on the EA now, then getting HD won't change a thing for him. The SD receivers will continue to work. Also if he does need to get the EA for some reason, (locals in HD are on both Arcs) he will most likely get the new system, which does not include 77.

6. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    He cannot be on EA, his account would be tagged if so and his sd receivers would be removed from the account.