1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will SD Tivo work with new satellite?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Buckieoash, Aug 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Buckieoash

Buckieoash New Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Hello, obviously I'm a newbie here and have a question. I've heard a lot of talk about people with HD Tivos and the new D* satellite system, and I know that apparently HD Tivos will not be able to access HD programming from D* once things get up and running.

HOWEVER ....

We are upgrading to HD in about a month (that's the install date) and we still use SD Tivos on our (non-HD) televisions. Not being able to use Tivo with the new HD programming is causing a lot of strife in our household, but that's beside the point.

ANYWAY ...

Long question short, if we move our SD Tivos back to our secondary TVs in other rooms, will they still be able to access SD programming on the 5-LNB dish that D* has to use to replace our Non-HD dish? I know HD Tivos will still be able to get SD programming off the new Direct system, but what about us who up until now have never had an HD receiver of any kind? Will those Tivos still pick up SD programming, or are they now obsolete once I get a new dish?

In other words, is there hope ... or am I screwed?

Apologies if this has been posted before. I searched and searched and couldn't find anything, but I'm fully aware I may not have used the right combination of search terms, so please forgive me.

Thanks, everyone!

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Yes, your SD DirecTivos will receive all of the channels they currently receive. As far as they know, they're still connected to a 3-LNB dish because they don't use the two Ka-band LNBs.

3. jdmac29

jdmac29 Godfather

Jan 6, 2006
    I have the 5lnb dish with a hr20 and a sd tivo. It works fine. I first had the hr20 since 8/06 and got the sd tivo this month. You will find somethings in the hr20 are better than the tivo but from my experience with tivo for a short time, the only advantage I see at this point is the 30 second skip otherwise I like both very well.

Also check out this link for a tivo to hr20 survival guide
    http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=69404

4. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I have an HR20 in one room and an R10 in the other. I have no problem with seeing SD channels and there's no reason to assume that lighting up another satellite will change that. The only reason it would, would be if some of those SDs moved to that new satellite and I've seen nothing saying that.

5. Buckieoash

Buckieoash New Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Thanks for the great replies, everyone! I feel a lot better now, even though I can't stand the thought of giving up DirectTivo in my main viewing room.

JDMac, I will definitely check out those tips, so thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.