1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will the attached diagram work for MRV?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by allenn, Apr 3, 2012.

1. allenn

allenn Icon

Nov 19, 2005
    Georgia
    I created the attached diagram showing my existing internet connection and the new components I think I need to convert my unsupported ethernet MRV to a SWM / DECA MRV. I would appreciate a DBSTALK critique of the diagram's contents and not the diagram. Would this setup provide the internet to my two HR24s? Do I need the Band Stop filter shown in the diagram? Thanks to all for your past assistance and future help. Best wishes!

Attached Files:

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    NO, because the second splitter feeding the BB DECA/CCK & receiver is mounted/connected backwards

3. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Reverse the second splitter, the in port needs to connect to the out port on the upper splitter. Otherwise looks ok.

4. allenn

allenn Icon

Nov 19, 2005
    Georgia
    Thanks for the help. I modified the diagram per your suggestions and added the Switch which I forgot about, see attachment.

1. Do I need the Band Stop filter?

2. Could I use a 4-way splitter with a terminator on one of the outputs inplace of the two 2-way splitters?

3. What does D* normally charge for this setup, labor and components?

Attached Files:

5. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    First, if this is a DirecTV install, they'll use a SWiMLNB instead of the SWM8.
    The BSF would only be used with old SWiMs that don't have one built in.
    A 4-way would work just as well.

6. allenn

allenn Icon

Nov 19, 2005
    Georgia
    Does a SWM8 have a Band Stop Filter?

I'm probably going to do the SWM / DECA MRV install myself. I currently have 4 RG6U lines running into my house from the Slim5, so a SWM-LNB would be more complicated. D* recently replaced one of the LNB's and the tech corrected the dish alignment and replaced all of the coax connectors. It looks like the component costs should be less than $200 which is reasonable.

Thanks for the assistance. You have been a great help!

7. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Early ones didn't and the newer ones do, so check that there is a green sticker/label to know it has one.

8. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    If you get a green labeled SWM8 you won't need the bandstop filter.

9. allenn

allenn Icon

Nov 19, 2005
    Georgia
    Green label it is. eBay seems to have the best prices. I still need to see what D* will do before I order the components. Thanks again for all your help!