1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will the Flyers be blacked out?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Binary, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Binary

Binary Mentor

Nov 26, 2006
    I'm curious, I'm in the philly area, 19147, and I see the upcoming games as:

TV Nat'l

Wed Apr 15, 2009 ----- CBC,RDS,VERSUS (HD)
    Fri Apr 17, 2009 ----- CBC,RDS,VERSUS (HD)
    Sun Apr 19, 2009 ----- CBC,RDS,NBC (HD)
    Tue Apr 21, 2009 ----- CBC,RDS,VERSUS (HD)
    Thu Apr 23, 2009 ----- CBC,RDS,VERSUS (HD)
    Sat Apr 25, 2009 ----- CBC,NBC (HD)
    Mon Apr 27, 2009 ----- CBC,VERSUS (HD)

I know for sure the NBC games I'll get. But there is nothing under local, so does that mean Comcast is not carrying them and I'll get them on Versus?

2. Peter305

Peter305 Hall Of Fame

May 24, 2006

The Games on Versus will be blocked out thanks to Comcast.

3. Jimmy 440

Jimmy 440 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2007
    Monmouth...
    You'd have to watch them on CSN on cable in the Philly area during the 1st two rounds.That's why my brother who lives in Chester County will never get D.

4. Binary

Binary Mentor

Nov 26, 2006
    I knew it was a fat chance. Same thing as last year, gotta stream it..

5. turey22

turey22 Hall Of Fame

Jul 30, 2007
    Well that sucks for you man...I know that the sports pack blacks out all the baseball games and have to get the MLB package...thats how they make money I guess.

6. rnbmusicfan

rnbmusicfan Legend

Jul 19, 2005
    Also, Fios carries CSN-Philly, but yesterday, because the Sixers were on CSN, the Flyers-Rangers game was on CN-Philadelphia (formerly CN8) which is only on Comcast. Even Fios customers get a little screwed.

7. TANK

TANK Icon DBSTalk Club

Feb 16, 2003
    FLORIDA

I'm confused ,why can't he watch them on Versus ?

8. dhkinil

dhkinil Icon

Dec 17, 2006
    I agree I don't think they blackout versus, even when the Hawks, rarely seen on Versus were on in the past and the game was here (in Chicago) it was not blacked out.

9. Jimmy 440

Jimmy 440 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2007
    Monmouth...
    Since VS. has the game for the national audience and CSN is also carrying the game,you'd have to watch it on CSN in the Philly area.They have the local rights around Philadelphia unless it's an exclusive national game in the later rounds.

10. Binary

Binary Mentor

Nov 26, 2006
    Well that's what I'm saying, on the Flyers website nothing is listed under 'local'. I did get some Flyers playoff games last year on Versus. I also think their site may indeed update later with CSN under 'local' :confused:

EDIT

They just updated with CSN-PH (HD) under 'local A'
    That anwsers that :/

11. Jimmy 440

Jimmy 440 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2007
    Monmouth...
    This is the Flyers TV playoff schedule I just looked it up (too),they have 5 of the playoff games on Comcast Sports Net.They have the local tv rights to the games in Philly just as FSN has the local rights in Pittsburgh.You have to watch the games on on your local RSN.
    Believe me I hear you it really suc*s but what can you do.

http://flyers.nhl.com/team/app?service=page&page=SubseasonSchedule&gameType=3

12. Peter305

Peter305 Hall Of Fame

May 24, 2006
    Versus doesn't have national rights until the second round and then I think they only get a couple of games per series.

The fact that the Flyers are blacked out in their own back yard is another reason to hope they get bounced in the first round so that this crazy situation doesn't continue to mess things up in the second round.

13. Binary

Binary Mentor

Nov 26, 2006

Well, they will be available via streams :) Not quite the HD I would like, but hey, better than nothing.

14. TANK

TANK Icon DBSTalk Club

Feb 16, 2003
    FLORIDA
    Ok, thanks for explaining that. I thought Versus had National rights for all games.

15. Jimmy 440

Jimmy 440 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2007
    Monmouth...
    No problem.During the 3rd & 4th rounds they do have national coverage including Philly if they make it that far.(not holding my breath)
    I have the same problem with the NHLN when they do Flyers games.I feel for your situation.

16. psuscott0483

psuscott0483 Godfather

Apr 16, 2009
    Douglassvill...
    ive never in my life seen this so this morning i had to google it, and it pointed me here:

i went through a lot of trouble to setup a bunch of tv's in the basement and hookup a directv receiver to each to take full advantage of the center ice package. so last night im watching the devils on one tv the rangers on another and i have the flyers/pens in HD on the main tv. as soon as the pregame is over at 7 the screen goes black: channel not available in your area (727). yet i noticed one of the SD tvs was still showing it, so i switch my box to unhide SD duplicates, game comes back on. i watch the entire 1st period. 1st period is over, they go to some commercials...screen goes black, channel not available in your area (727). WHAT THE ****?!?!? you show the entire 1st period then pull the plug?

17. Peter305

Peter305 Hall Of Fame

May 24, 2006
    I'm sure the showing of the first period was a mistake. For those of us who have DirecTV we will only see the Flyers in the first round when they are on NBC. Versus will have rights to as many as two exclusive games in round two and then for all of rounds three and four...if the Flyers last that long.

If you are a Flyers fan you shouldn't have DirecTV or Dish Network.

18. psuscott0483

psuscott0483 Godfather

Apr 16, 2009
    Douglassvill...
    that could be, the games are always blacked out on CI but i just never saw a game blacked out on versus. where do you go to stream the flyers game through the web? is it a good quality online feed? i think i can run a svideo out to one of the tvs and do that.

19. Peter305

Peter305 Hall Of Fame

May 24, 2006
    You are correct that Flyers games on Versus are not blacked out during the regular season IF they are exclusive to Versus. In the first round of the playoffs Versus does not have exclusive rights for any games. In the second they can have two exclusive games per series then in the last two rounds they are exclusive.

20. djfrankie

djfrankie Legend

Jan 7, 2004
    I live in Little Egg Harbor, NJ (Southern Ocean County) and was able to watch last nights Flyers/Pens game on Versus (HD).