1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will the Justice Dept. go after the NCAA's BCS?

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Lord Vader, Jan 31, 2010.

1. Lord Vader

Lord Vader Supreme Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    This is unbelievable. Why must they get involved? Haven't they got more important things to worry about?

Personally, I'd prefer a playoff system, but this isn't the way to go about it.

Story here:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20....bcs.ap/index.html?xid=si_ncaaf#ixzz0e7xrXQ8P

Note: If a mod. believes this thread cannot be discussed without getting political, I'd understand it being closed. I believe this topic is important, but how to talk about it without this becoming too political might be a challenge.

2. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    We should be able to discuss without being political, at least not being critical of any particular kind of political views.

On topic... I agree that it is a shame we don't have a playoff system already... but I think our government has far more important things to be worried about than college football not having a playoff for the highest division.

3. shedberg

shedberg Icon

Jan 20, 2007
    Hmmnnnn, football, Toyota car recalls - what's next, Miss America pageant???

4. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    The issue is actually bigger than just having a playoff. The real issue is that some conferences are being shut out of the game. That is a real anti-trust issue.

Yes, the MWC and WAC did make it into BCS bowls this year, but C-USA and the MAC didn't. Do they deserve to? Maybe, maybe not. But the system was set up to exclude certain conferences by other conferences. That is anti-trust and as legitimate an issue for the government as the AT&T or MSFT anti-trust cases were.

As for the political part, it is being pressed for by a Republican Senator (Hatch R-Utah) and a Democratic President. So party idealogy has little to do with the issue.

5. Lord Vader

Lord Vader Supreme Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    I know. I was fully aware of that when I posted it, which is why I'm not making this an anti-Obama thread. Yes, it's his Justice Dept., but it's clear that a Republican is involved, too.

6. kevinwmsn

kevinwmsn Hall Of Fame

Aug 19, 2006
    I think a 8 team playoff should be fine. Get the top 8 teams from a selection committee like they do for basketball. They could start 2 weeks after conference championships. College bowl season goes on for at least 3 weeks. Colleges don't have class during this time, so they can't argue that the kids aren't missing class(unlike March Madness). While we are at, lets get rid of the preseason poll. Lets not rank teams until about a month into the season(around conference plays begins). There's no way that Boise, BYU, or Utah could play a SEC schedule and win enough games to get to a SEC championship game much less a BCS championship. They can play well for a bowl game, but they don't have the talent to hang with the big boys for an entire season.

7. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    That argument NEVER held water. The other three divisions (1-AA, now FCS, D II and DIII) all have 16 team playoffs. And in the case of D III and D II, there are no or limited scholarships, so academics are more important to these kids the average D I player. So 48 other teams manage to combine academics and football playoffs, so why can't D I?