1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will this damage receiver?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by eileen22, Nov 6, 2011.

1. eileen22

eileen22 Godfather

Mar 24, 2006
    Philadelphia...
    I have another thread going about my signal problems that started today. Basically I'm only getting a good signal with no 771 message on HD locals. I have SD receivers in other locations. Right now the one I'm in front of is making lots of noise, presumably trying to get a signal.

My question is this: will it damage these receivers (especially the DVRs) to use them to watch recorded content, since they're unusable otherwise? Or should they be completely powered down until this is resolved? While I'm playing back recorded content, the blue ring is constantly spinning, which seems bad. Please advise, someone! Thanks.

2. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    The only things in a receiver that makes noise are the HDD and fan. When they get really noisy, it usually a sign they going to go kaput!

3. eileen22

eileen22 Godfather

Mar 24, 2006
    Philadelphia...
    Well, this one was searching for signal AND trying to record something that I had set up previously, so maybe it was the fact that it was trying to record (and couldn't because of bad signal) that was causing the noise? It is one of my older R15s.

4. dirtyblueshirt

dirtyblueshirt Under Suspicion

Dec 6, 2008
    Anaheim, CA
    Highly doubtful. Regardless of signal, a properly functioning hard drive would not make a significant amount of noise unless the hard drive itself was malfunctioning. I would call DirecTV and possibly look into getting a replacement.