1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will this DECA config work??

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by wlee69, Jun 25, 2010.

1. wlee69

wlee69 New Member

Jul 9, 2008
    I currently have a SWM dish with the typical splitter in the basement with homeruns to each room in my house. My internet connection is cable, so I have that connection in the basement as well - with a diplexer combining the two signals up to my computer room where I split the signal back out to the cable modem/router and the other to the cable box all via coaxial cables.

Want to do the Deca cloud for my 3 receivers - but understand that I cannot just have 1 line going up to the computer room if that is going to be the place where the internet connection gets into the cloud.

If I move the cable modem to the basement and use one of the splitter connections to use that as the entry point - can I connect the router up off the deca connection that will be in the computer room? (Prior to the ethernet cable going into the back of the cable box, can I put a router there so that I can still connect my PC up to the internet)

Logically it should work I think, not sure thats the DECA intent and also wondering about performance degradation doing something like this. I think it avoids getting another line to that room, but wanted to get peoples thoughts on this setup...

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    :confused: I'm not quite following your question.
    Can the DECA to your cable modem/router be almost anywhere in your house? yes.
    Can you mix DECA and your cable modem on the same coax? NO

3. dwcolvin

dwcolvin Icon

Oct 4, 2007
    I'm afraid I can't parse this. When you say 'cable box', do you really mean 'DirecTV receiver'?

I think you're asking "Can I run all broadband (cable modem to router) traffic through the DECA cloud?" No. :nono2:

The broadband connection to the router is completely different from all the other conections to the router... it is in the external Internet (directly addressable from anywhere in the world, using an IP address provided by the cable company's DHCP), while all your home devices are in a private network (IP address provided by your router). The DECA connected boxes (and thus the DECA cloud) must be in your private network. Even if (theoretically) a receiver would work directly connected to the Internet (and you certainly would not want to expose one to all the garbage there), your ISP isn't going to let you get multiple DHCP addresses.

4. wlee69

wlee69 New Member

Jul 9, 2008
    I think you're asking "Can I run all broadband (cable modem to router) traffic through the DECA cloud\

Yes - this is essentially what I was asking!!! Thanks for the quick response...

Sounds like if I don't want to run the extra line, I'll have to use wireless in another coaxial drop to get connection into the DECA cloud. And then split out the diplexed run I have from all the other lines in the house....

5. dwcolvin

dwcolvin Icon

Oct 4, 2007
    I'm still trying to get my head around this. Are you saying you're diplexing the D* SWM signal from the splitter with the Cable Modem signal on the same coax? You can't diplex with DECA (it uses the same frequencies). If you have (or want to have) both a DirecTV receiver on SWM and the DECA-Ethernet bridge (ICK) in the computer room, you can run a single coax from the splitter to a 2-way SWM splitter in the computer room. But the cable modem needs its own coax.