1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will This Hauppage Capture Card Work With The HR24?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by CraigerCSM, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Jan 7, 2011 #1 of 16
    CraigerCSM

CraigerCSM Guest

2. Jan 7, 2011 #2 of 16
    hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    The video outputs are only on when the sat box is on (not in standby), so if you want to record from it, the sat box must not be in standby. I don't know anything about the hauppauge box, so perhaps others can comment on its suitability.

3. Jan 7, 2011 #3 of 16
    Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    I don't think it matters where the signal comes from. If the internal card can receiver video/audio like your TV then the card should work. You'll have to check the specs and read up on to make sure.

Mike

4. Jan 7, 2011 #4 of 16
    veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Haven't used it, "but" if it works like other cards, then:

1. the tuner needs to be on
    2. there should be a remote connection the turns on the tuner and changes channels for the card to record.

5. Jan 7, 2011 #5 of 16
    1948GG

1948GG Icon

Aug 4, 2007
    This new card is the 'internal' equivalent of the HD-PVR that's been around for some 3+ years now. As long as the component (for HD) spigots remain active on any HD tuner box (i.e., no 'standby' as noted above, and DirecTV or it's suppliers don't start mucking around with the 'analog' outputs from any of the boxes, which would trigger various legal ramifications), then it's just as good to go as the original HD-PVR.

This new card is supposed to make things 'easier', but unless you have a high-grade PC in your HD video equipment rack, it's a bit of a non-starter. I have a HTPC setup, and even though it's case is of a 'super-quiet' design, it's still in the back of the room, some 20+ feet from where my HD-PVR is (repeater-based USB2 interconnection).

But, with multiple PCI-e slots (and this card is only a 1x type) in virtually every new(er) mobo out there, the only other plus is the HDMI input (easily done, btw, with an outboard solution with the original HD-PVR), and how it works or is 'squirly' with HDMI is an unknown at this point vr. the component inputs. Until it gets out in the real world, it's a question mark.

6. Jan 7, 2011 #6 of 16
    BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    The other thing is that you WON'T want to use it, or try to use it, with an HD-DVR. You would use it with regular HD receivers (H24, for example). The HTPC would be the DVR.

But, as stated, there are still many questions about real-world functionality.

7. Jan 7, 2011 #7 of 16
    CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    I still dont understand this huge desire that people have to backup these recordings on some other inferior media.....you are making an analog copy folks, it wont look as good...

8. Jan 7, 2011 #8 of 16
    veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Not sure this is quite true.
    Component is almost indistinguishable from HDMI, and the "analog" is merely the receiver output and then this get converted back to digital.

9. Jan 7, 2011 #9 of 16
    BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    You probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference, or it would be very minor. But until you've used Win7 Media Center as a DVR, or better yet, had your family use it, you probably don't realize how amazing a DVR/media center can be when powered by a real computer that can access and directly play virtually any kind of media, and do it all in a SNAP. No slow menus, etc. when you've got real CPU power behind you, and tons of plug-ins and other capabilities.

10. skatingrocker17

skatingrocker17 Godfather

Jun 23, 2010
    It'll work but to record you'll probably need to use component. I have an AverTV HD capture card and I have to use component to record because with HDMI, HDCP prevents recording.

11. CraigerCSM

CraigerCSM Guest

Would you be able to get all of DTV's channels with this? I dont really care about using it to burn shows to DVD just using it to have Windows on an HDTV while using the PIP to watch TV and surf the web at the same time plus using the Windows Media Center software with DTV. However I wonder hooking up that stuff would be to complex and just getting a thin and light laptop would be easier and have sitting on an end table ready to use? Also can you use an HDMI cable with card or just component?

12. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    I already have had it, and have moved on because it doesnt work at all for my viewing habits...

13. CraigerCSM

CraigerCSM Guest

I forgot that you would probably have to leave the HD Receiver on if you wanted to record a show while you are away or sleeping using the Windows Media Center software to record a show right?

14. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Yes, in order to function properly, the receivers would always need to be on, just like all DVRs work (DVRs are always on).

15. CraigerCSM

CraigerCSM Guest

But standby vs. the blue light being on are different right? You couldn't use the WMC Recording Software when the blue power light is off right? Or watch live TV with the WMC and the blue power light being off?

16. 1948GG

1948GG Icon

Aug 4, 2007
    ? There are MANY reasons why to use this with ANY SD or HD receiver or DVR:

1. Get recordings 'out of the box', either for archiving sake (that receiver or DVR could fry at any moment).

2. No artificial (or OS) limitations on size/number of recordings. I have over 18TB of recordings on RAID6 that aren't going anywhere, unless my house burns down and takes the array's with it (it might make it through it, though!). The Linux OS on the DirecTV DVR's is limited to 2TB Max.

3. With a broadcast-grade HD monitor, the recordings are just slightly less than 'live' or the DVR playback (VERY slightly). On anything less (I do have consumer-level Samsung HD montiors, LCD AND Plasma) one can't tell the difference.

4. And lastly, as everyone should know by this late date, ALL DirecTV receivers and DVR's are ON all the time; all you're doing by hitting the power button is turning on the outputs of the unit. Leave it on, 24/7, the power drain is next to nothing.

5. The HDCP is a bit of a question, but most HDMI repeaters/multiplexers strip it out (it causes too many problems with those devices and the displays they attach to), so it you have such a device (I have two) you'd find out quickly that it's a bit of a red herring at this point.

This new card is so cheap, I might grab one just for grins (and have a backup to my original HD-PVR). But I'd like to see some A/B reports on it vr. the old unit...